Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 02:15 PM

333 posts, read 310,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
Geez! You can tell that the internet "entrepreneurs" are really scraping the bottom of the barrel now! Newsflash! The 90s are over, let it go!
Don't laugh. Farmers are a lot like people who work for themselves, their dating universe is often limited. This is another one of those situations where sometimes it's normal for children to continue to live with their parents ... because they are an essential part of the workforce on the farm.

Also, this is another one of those niches where city folk don't understand the personalities and the lifestyle very well.

I actually know someone who found a spouse (or maybe baby daddy - forget) through one of these farmers dating sites. I don't think the marriage worked out, but she has a son in high school right now.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:20 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,394,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenEleven View Post
Don't laugh. Farmers are a lot like people who work for themselves, their dating universe is often limited. This is another one of those situations where sometimes it's normal for children to continue to live with their parents ... because they are an essential part of the workforce on the farm.

Also, this is another one of those niches where city folk don't understand the personalities and the lifestyle very well.

I actually know someone who found a spouse (or maybe baby daddy - forget) through one of these farmers dating sites. I don't think the marriage worked out, but she has a son in high school right now.
I think it's pretty tough for farmers to find a mate. So much of their time is spent out in the fields they have no time. It takes a very special and dedicated woman to be married to a farmer.

Many times she won't see him till 11pm and he gets up pretty early as well. I would say most of them are good men but their time is just so limited. They probably meet women through the church and so forth and I do not know a lot of women who could lead the role of a farmers wife.

I wonder if the best mate for a farmer would be a farmers daughter. A women who understood the life of the farmer.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,784,856 times
Quote:
This is another one of those situations where sometimes it's normal for children to continue to live with their parents ... because they are an essential part of the workforce on the farm.
NO! Don't say that! You are causing the internet to melt! Don't you know that there is NEVER, EVER, a good reason for children to live with their parents over the age of 21! EVER!

Quote:

It's not that it's a bad idea but it seems like one of those internet things that will peter out. I remember back in the late 90s everybody and their brother were trying to come up with some niche site. One was the online grocery store. That didn't go far.
Christianmingle.com seems to be doing alright but that's not really a micro-niche.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I think it's pretty tough for farmers to find a mate. So much of their time is spent out in the fields they have no time. It takes a very special and dedicated woman to be married to a farmer.
We still have farmers? Last I heard the big corps were gobbling up the farming business.

Quote:
I wonder if the best mate for a farmer would be a farmers daughter. A women who understood the life of the farmer.
I think the farmers daughter thing is a myth perpetuated by country music. I live in the country and pretty much all the young girls here can't wait to go to college and get the h*ll out of dodge! (then they come back usually as a nurse or a teacher.)

Old 02-11-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
NO! Don't say that! You are causing the internet to melt! Don't you know that there is NEVER, EVER, a good reason for children to live with their parents over the age of 21! EVER!

It's not that it's a bad idea but it seems like one of those internet things that will peter out. I remember back in the late 90s everybody and their brother were trying to come up with some niche site. One was the online grocery store. That didn't go far.

Christianmingle.com seems to be doing alright but that's not really a micro-niche.
Add all the other problems people have that get in the way of finding their "soul mate" and it is another unserved market. You're right, it may be a niche but it is a real one. It sounded funny to me at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Pikantari brought up the point about the long hours, not to mention that it's not a clean office job. Many times you are also in rural areas and that limits your dating pool as well. It's like if you're an Arab who lives in Wyoming and want to find a nice Muslim girl, talk about niche!

Old 02-11-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
We still have farmers? Last I heard the big corps were gobbling up the farming business.

I think the farmers daughter thing is a myth perpetuated by country music. I live in the country and pretty much all the young girls here can't wait to go to college and get the h*ll out of dodge! (then they come back usually as a nurse or a teacher.)
That's the way it often works in small business as well. Husband works for himself, wife works for the government for the health care and the benefits. The nurse may not want to work on the farm, but if she came back to the area she's not going to be opposed at the idea of having a farmer as a mate. It's the farmer's daughter who wants to stay in the city that isn't going to want that lifestyle.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Add all the other problems people have that get in the way of finding their "soul mate" and it is another unserved market. You're right, it may be a niche but it is a real one. It sounded funny to me at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Pikantari brought up the point about the long hours, not to mention that it's not a clean office job. Many times you are also in rural areas and that limits your dating pool as well. It's like if you're an Arab who lives in Wyoming and want to find a nice Muslim girl, talk about niche!

Well, if it's working for them then I say that's great and more power to them!
The problem with the Muslim girl in Wyoming example is that there is a very small chance that the Muslim girl would be on the niche site in the first place. She would probably be on POF or OKC like everyone else. And this is the problem with niche sites: trying to reach that critical mass where the word of mouth keeps it going.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:43 PM

17,647 posts, read 22,675,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

Many times she won't see him till 11pm and he gets up pretty early as well. I would say most of them are good men but their time is just so limited. They probably meet women through the church and so forth and I do not know a lot of women who could lead the role of a farmers wife.

Yes, a farmer has a hard life usually. It appears they aren't all farmers. Some raise cattle, or horses, or mustangs. Some raise sheep or goats, llama, emu, or ostrich, etc, etc. Some are mountain men...

Old 02-11-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
That's the way it often works in small business as well. Husband works for himself, wife works for the government for the health care and the benefits. The nurse may not want to work on the farm, but if she came back to the area she's not going to be opposed at the idea of having a farmer as a mate. It's the farmer's daughter who wants to stay in the city that isn't going to want that lifestyle.
A lot of girls come back here and want the fancy cars and the fancy clothes, and they have them. Just what I see in my town. Of course most of the farmers here that are still holding on to the farm are all older men. The younger men don't seem interested in it and many of the old farms are now closed down which is a shame.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,456,114 times
I grew up in a small farming community in eastern Washington. While I wouldn't trade that upbringing for anything, I could not go back to small town living as an adult. I need more opportunities of things to do than that. On the other hand, one of my former classmates, a farmer's daughter, left for college, returned home afterward, teaches in the next town over, and married a fellow schoolmate (yr above us) who took over her father's farm when he retired. They live in the house she grew up in.

I live in a metro area of over 2 million and can't get a date to save my life. (So hopefully my life never depends on it! ) I can't imagine trying to get one in the town I grew up in which had a population of 1,734 as of the 2010 census-and only 3.7% of all households containing a "male householder with no wife present" vs 13.5% single female households. (Change in overall population from 2000 to 2010 was 4 people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.