Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 12:21 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,090,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
don't wanna go to little johnny's soccer game and a cookout afterwards....

LOL... I sound like a dick, but I'm really an OK guy......
We know you are. I can't say I've ever invited anyone to my kids games...that's weird. We do have a few good friends on their teams though...they've been playing in the same leagues for the last 8yrs and you get to know people pretty well when you spend every weekend with them.

Quote:
How does it work with the pay, do your get you money spread out over the year, or do you get screwed for the summer time
Well, we don't get screwed really. No work-no pay. We got our last check on 5/31 and won't get the next one (a half month) until 8/31. Generally we get paid the last day of the month, except for Christmas. They give us our pay the week before Christmas. Not bad but then January 31st is a LONG time away.

We have year-round schools here, so if you work a 12-month calendar they space your pay out for 12 months.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:38 PM

52,317 posts, read 52,784,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
We know you are. I can't say I've ever invited anyone to my kids games...that's weird. We do have a few good friends on their teams though...they've been playing in the same leagues for the last 8yrs and you get to know people pretty well when you spend every weekend with them.

Well, we don't get screwed really. No work-no pay. We got our last check on 5/31 and won't get the next one (a half month) until 8/31. Generally we get paid the last day of the month, except for Christmas. They give us our pay the week before Christmas. Not bad but then January 31st is a LONG time away.

We have year-round schools here, so if you work a 12-month calendar they space your pay out for 12 months.
Which part do you know... that I'm a dick or an OK guy.....

I thought that they could spread out your pay through out the yr for you guys... maybe I got that idea in my head erroneously.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Which part do you know... that I'm a dick or an OK guy.....

I thought that they could spread out your pay through out the yr for you guys... maybe I got that idea in my head erroneously.
LOL...that you are a good guy! Guess I should have clarified that!

Some districts do set up their pay schedule like that. Not the one I'm in. I can have my bank do it for me as well...but it's not really necessary for us.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Sixy, hope you and hubby have a nice evening out.
Sorry to hear your night out sucked! I'm a go-with-the-flow person, but only because I don't like being the one to make plans. If someone else has plans and asks me along, different story

I think he forgot that I wanted to go out tonight. He hasn't mentioned it and I'm not reminding him.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
LOL...that you are a good guy! Guess I should have clarified that!

Some districts do set up their pay schedule like that. Not the one I'm in. I can have my bank do it for me as well...but it's not really necessary for us.
Yeah, I forget hubby pulls down decent cash.... so it works out for you guys....

Old 06-15-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I forget hubby pulls down decent cash.... so it works out for you guys....
Yeah we don't use my pay for bills. He makes a good salary but we also don't live beyond our means either. My pay goes mostly towards the kids sports/expenses and our savings.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:03 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,014,950 times
Teachers here get a yearly salary paid monthly throughout the year. Subs are paid a straight wage rather than salary and are not paid during the summer months.

Not too long ago there was a vote to take on full time subs since it costs more to pay them piecemeal than it would to simply put them on staff and pay them a salary as other teachers but the levy failed. Apparently it made too much sense to save money while simultaneously being able to offer the stability that would keep better teachers on board.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Teachers here get a yearly salary paid monthly throughout the year. Subs are paid a straight wage rather than salary and are not paid during the summer months.

Not too long ago there was a vote to take on full time subs since it costs more to pay them piecemeal than it would to simply put them on staff and pay them a salary as other teachers but the levy failed. Apparently it made too much sense to save money while simultaneously being able to offer the stability that would keep better teachers on board.
They pay subs here monthly. However, they are not technically employees of the school system. They cannot collect benefits or participate in any retirement plans. There are no paid days off or sick days either. Most are not certified teachers either.

My situation was "unique" in that I was a certified teacher which allows me to administer grades, report cards, standardized tests, and individual assessments. The district hired me as a TA which pays about $50 more a day and allowed me to collect benefits, paid time off and sick days. There were 3 long-term positions that I was placed in, all in the same school. Win-win for them. Kids didn't slide back in academics and I had a decent paycheck.

Most subs would not work full time, because it defeats the purpose of being able to come and go as you please. That is the draw for most of the subs that work in our district.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah we don't use my pay for bills. He makes a good salary but we also don't live beyond our means either. My pay goes mostly towards the kids sports/expenses and our savings.
That is an excellent plan. We're trying to live below our means, and I think we do a decent job of it. It's hard though... the temptation to "consume" stuff gets strong at times.

I look at some people in our family circle that make literally half of what I do and they have all the toys and bling...... just makes me do this I cant believe how silly some people can be.....

They look the part, but don't have two nickels to rub together....

Speaking of "stuff" have any of you guys seen those new 4k TV's....

Good lord.... I'm drooling over here.....

Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 PM

[quote=crabman1;30036273]
Quote:
That is an excellent plan. We're trying to live below our means, and I think we do a decent job of it. It's hard though... the temptation to "consume" stuff gets strong at times.

I look at some people in our family circle that make literally half of what I do and they have all the toys and bling...... just makes me do this I cant believe how silly some people can be.....

They look the part, but don't have two nickels to rub together....

Speaking of "stuff" have any of you guys seen those new 4k TV's....

Good lord.... I'm drooling over here.....
We have our vices and he has his "toys" but we try to buy smart. I do not like to carry car payments or finance anything that we put into or do to the house. If we can't pay cash, then we can't afford it.

$4K for a TV???? Does it serve you dinner and movie? That's obscene!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.