Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Since about 95%* of our reported threads here are due to what the reportee views as some type of bashing (gender, race, etc), I would like to start a dialog here about what different posters perceive as "bashing."

Since I am one of your moderators, I'll start.

Bashing: All men are sleazy opportunists just looking to get laid.

Not bashing: It seems like all the guys I meet when I go out with my friends here lately are all sleazy opportunists, just looking to get laid.

Bashing: Women are gold diggers. Everyone knows it.

Not bashing: Most of the women I know are gold diggers. Your experience may be different.

Bashing: Everyone knows Asian men have small penises.

Not bashing: I think of all the guys I've dated, the Asian ones had the smallest penises. Then again, they were shorter than the white guys I usually date, so perhaps they were just proportionally sized.

Note that in the last instance that mentioned ethnicity/race, I had to be very careful not to be critical of both Asians AND males.

You should also remember that starting an entire thread that pits one race/ethnicity against the other will get you an infraction. Don't start threads like that. Does not mean you can never mention race/ethnicity if it's germane to your comments. Just be very cautious and approach it respectfully.

*Not a real statistic. It's my best estimate.

Okay. Keep it polite folks. Tell me, what do you consider bashing and why? Do NOT refer to specific members of this forum. Also, do not report people's comments in this thread, unless we get brand new folks signing up to troll. You all know your regulars. I'm keeping an eye on this thread off and on over the evening.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:07 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Bashing: "All older women are unattractive"
Not bashing: "some older people (I stress people)let themselves go".

Race bashing" "All (insert ethnic group)like this, do that, etc"
Not bashing "All of the people I personally know in this group do this but it could just be the people I know".

To be honest I am SO tired of some of the comments here that don't pertain to what I see offline. All I don't see all my female friends dating men using them nor so I see male friends dating women who are nasty. I'm also so disgusted with all the anti older women comments I see ALL THE TIME like older women are not desired. Likewise I get frustrated when I read these comments that women only date a man based on his income.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Bashing: "All older women are unattractive"
Not bashing: "some older people (I stress people)let themselves go".

Race bashing" "All (insert ethnic group)like this, do that, etc"
Not bashing "All of the people I personally know in this group do this but it could just be the people I know".

To be honest I am SO tired of some of the comments here that don't pertain to what I see offline. All I don't see all my female friends dating men using them nor so I see male friends dating women who are nasty. I'm also so disgusted with all the anti older women comments I see ALL THE TIME like older women are not desired. Likewise I get frustrated when I read these comments that women only date a man based on his income.
When I see comments about some of the things you're describing, IDDY, I feel as though the person posting them has been burned by one of the target groups they're complaining about. If so, it seems more logical to come to a mixed board like this one to talk it out minus the rants. Insulting a vast majority of posters in a single comment seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The more you rail against Group A, the more annoyed they will get. Members who identify as part of Group A may respond in a retaliatory fashion, seemingly proving the point of the rant, when in reality, it's just the rant offending them and nothing more.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 PM

I think that is exactly why that happens. I know I get some angry by some of my comments but with certain things it comes from my personal experience and that I avoid those issues in my offline. I do know when people deal with issues from a specific group they tend to think everyone is like that.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I think that is exactly why that happens. I know I get some angry by some of my comments but with certain things it comes from my personal experience and that I avoid those issues in my offline. I do know when people deal with issues from a specific group they tend to think everyone is like that.
That's why it's so important to choose one's words carefully.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:37 PM

Very true. That's the problem with online, something that might be harmless talk comes out as bashing people.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Very true. That's the problem with online, something that might be harmless talk comes out as bashing people.
I just assume that I may offend. And take steps to avoid it. If I offend, I make attempts to clarify. Intent absolutely matters.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
To me, "gender bashing" is synonymous with misandry or misogyny, or making strongly sexist statements about a particular gender. Men are stupid, women are devious, etc. Some threads bash race or nationalities.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
1. Anything that translates into an "ism"--racism, sexism, ageism, etc.

2. Negative generalizations of any kind about any group.

3. Trying to sneak around a generalization by saying, "98% of men" or "99% of women."

Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
I agree with all the above. Sometimes the gender bashing is very subtle though. It's an insinuation about the opposite gender that you don't quite pick up on immediately but then you start to see a pattern of posting style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.