Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM

895 posts, read 1,704,001 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I figured I would start this thread to see what others outside my immediate friend group think of my preference. I'm 18, and haven't dated a girl in years. The last time I remember having any kind of serious relationship was when I dated a fairly insightful, mature, yet very insecure girl in 7th grade. Although I know it's easy to assume the relationship was nothing but a product of raging adolescent hormones, I do believe that it taught me knowledge about dating that I remember to this day.
Anyway, I've found that now as I'm entering the realm of young adulthood I have significant trouble connecting with girls my age due to what I perceive as their excessive emphasis on superficiality/trivialities (i.e. "I'm so upset because Johnny Dean broke up with my best friend, let me vent on twitter, or "Do you like my handbag? I got it at Saks Fifth Avenue.") Certainly any male who pays attention to this kind of thing can understand where I'm coming from. It is very frustrating because I feel like I have a fair amount to offer as a future partner, etc.
Also, girls don't seem to pay much attention to me which is partly due to the fact that I'm introverted. I'm not very "alpha male" acting and tend to be fairly quiet and reserved most of the time. I don't enjoy talking to Billy Smith at the bar about football and drankin' the brew, if you know what I mean.
So I've come to the consensus that I am much more attracted to very fine older women who are culturally aware and enjoy having logical debates. The maturity and the brains that come along with a few extra years are very worth pursuing.
Would I come off as very strange if I asked an older woman about her political preference while sipping a mimosa at the bar? Is that an inappropriate approach?
Anyone with any experience on this topic that can offer insight is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,145,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Hi all, I figured I would start this thread to see what others outside my immediate friend group think of my preference. I'm 18, and haven't dated a girl in years. The last time I remember having any kind of serious relationship was when I dated a fairly insightful, mature, yet very insecure girl in 7th grade. Although I know it's easy to assume the relationship was nothing but a product of raging adolescent hormones, I do believe that it taught me knowledge about dating that I remember to this day.
Anyway, I've found that now as I'm entering the realm of young adulthood I have significant trouble connecting with girls my age due to what I perceive as their excessive emphasis on superficiality/trivialities (i.e. "I'm so upset because Johnny Dean broke up with my best friend, let me vent on twitter, or "Do you like my handbag? I got it at Saks Fifth Avenue.") Certainly any male who pays attention to this kind of thing can understand where I'm coming from. It is very frustrating because I feel like I have a fair amount to offer as a future partner, etc.
Also, girls don't seem to pay much attention to me which is partly due to the fact that I'm introverted. I'm not very "alpha male" acting and tend to be fairly quiet and reserved most of the time. I don't enjoy talking to Billy Smith at the bar about football and drankin' the brew, if you know what I mean.
So I've come to the consensus that I am much more attracted to very fine older women who are culturally aware and enjoy having logical debates. The maturity and the brains that come along with a few extra years are very worth pursuing.
Would I come off as very strange if I asked an older woman about her political preference while sipping a mimosa at the bar? Is that an inappropriate approach?
Anyone with any experience on this topic that can offer insight is greatly appreciated.
I think the key is finding out what kinds of places older women hang out at. You can probably get a good sense of the types of opening lines to ask them based on where they hang out and what they're drinking.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:41 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
I am quite certain there are girls your age with your interests.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:46 PM

I don't disagree with that but they are difficult to find.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:24 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
You don't need to be an alpha male. Join groups, activities, organizations where you can get to know women gradually, rather than having to try to come up with cold approaches. Look for geeky girls, intellectuals, musicians, etc. They would be happy to get to know you. They're not hard to find if you know where to look. Are you in college? Look for more serious girls in language or science classes, the music or art department, tech clubs, working on the school newspaper, etc. Join weekend sports leagues or hiking or ski clubs. Volunteer for political action groups, animal shelters, park maintenance crews or enviro orgs.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-13-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,629,024 times
Quote:
Mod cut: Gross generalizations.

Logical debates are cool, but if you're seeking logical debating, first secure that you progress with your school and get a job. No relationship can be serious when you didn't resolve those things. After that , you can do everything else. After you finish school and get any job, you are your own man. Until then, you are only nominally an adult - you depend on your parents and it's only the legal law that makes you an adult... you're still eating their food and you contribute nothing in a house's functioning, and that house isn't even yours.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-13-2013 at 08:12 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Yeah what age range are you looking at?

Also, what is all this talk about the bar? Don't you have to be 21 in Florida to drink?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 PM

326 posts, read 478,671 times
You have to be 21 to drink at any bar in the U.S, IIRC

Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
Quote:

NEVER discuss politics or religion with somebody you just meet! Yes older women can be hot. But you're 18, what do you consider "older"?

Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM

25-40 is a solid range
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships