Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,678,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I'll be totally honest. Women really do know. I've never been known for my drop dead looks, but I have been known for making a woman feel safe. I've even been told several times that you seem different from other guys. Like a genuinely nice/decent human being. Even if there was no sparks, they never once didn't feel safe around me. So in the end, I really do believe women have an idea if a man is genuine or not.
The scary part is that some guys are good at faking it though. They may seem like the nicest guy ever, but then end up being psycho. Like I said, I haven't experienced it personally but I'm sure it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,303,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
The scary part is that some guys are good at faking it though. They may seem like the nicest guy ever, but then end up being psycho. Like I said, I haven't experienced it personally but I'm sure it happens.
I have a female friend that experienced this exact thing. Dated a guy who was real nice, but had a prescription drug addiction. In hindsight, she saw some red flags, but ignored them because she had a man in her life. Like I said, every woman knows. They just choose to pump the brakes or not!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
online dating is just plain scary, especially for women. youve got very frustrated sometimes angry and defeated people on there desperate to find someone. the myth that its the new hip place to meet super attractive normal people is purely a myth propogated by the marketing of the websites making millions. its largely a danger zone of lies, fake pics, smoke screens and issue laden people better suited for a psych forum.
Excellent post. A lot of women are putting themselves in very dangerous situations with very dangerous people.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:08 PM

350 posts, read 384,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
online dating is just plain scary, especially for women. youve got very frustrated sometimes angry and defeated people on there desperate to find someone. the myth that its the new hip place to meet super attractive normal people is purely a myth propogated by the marketing of the websites making millions. its largely a danger zone of lies, fake pics, smoke screens and issue laden people better suited for a psych forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Excellent post. A lot of women are putting themselves in very dangerous situations with very dangerous people.
True, that was an excellent post but I think it works both ways. There are also a lot of angry and defeated females out there who will tell you practically anything because they're so desperate to get a man or simply to even make ends meet.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:35 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,369,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
It's not an excellent post at all.

Again, I'll ask if anyone has any evidence that online dating is anymore dangerous than any other type of dating? No one has provided any evidence of such.

Second,
Quote:
the myth that its the new hip place to meet super attractive normal people is purely a myth
I don't think this is what the poster actually meant.

Quote:
its largely a danger zone of lies, fake pics, smoke screens and issue laden people better suited for a psych forum.
There's no evidence presented to support these assertions.

Nope. It's not even a good post.

I think that the exaggerations about the dangers of online dating cause people to overlook the dangers of off line dating. People need to take the same precautions either way.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM

51,344 posts, read 37,022,552 times
I don't think online dating is anymore dangerous than meeting new people anywhere - you just have to have common sense and be safe about it. Heck, in my younger days, me and my friends used to meet guys at clubs then get in cars with them to go somewhere else, and that was plain stupid looking back. This person's mistake wasn't in looking online for a date, it was in assuming that because he was on a Christian site, that it made him "safer" than other people, and due to that assumption, putting herself in a position where she was alone with him and isolated. Meet in public, you in your car and he in his.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,790,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think online dating is anymore dangerous than meeting new people anywhere - you just have to have common sense and be safe about it. Heck, in my younger days, me and my friends used to meet guys at clubs then get in cars with them to go somewhere else, and that was plain stupid looking back. This person's mistake wasn't in looking online for a date, it was in assuming that because he was on a Christian site, that it made him "safer" than other people, and due to that assumption, putting herself in a position where she was alone with him and isolated. Meet in public, you in your car and he in his.
This is my thought as well.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 PM

633 posts, read 726,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
This is exactly why I don't date online
Yeah me too. Well at least avoided it like a plague for the longest time that I can. Until I developed common sense, LOL. And I was sure that I can handle myself. And that's why i NEVER GIVE my number even after I already met them. And NEVER let them pick me up at my house until I know I can trust them.

These days though, online dating is no longer an embarrassment to say you met someone on dating sites. With social media/internet being a part of EVERYONE's life nowadays. Actually you're more looked at as a freak if you don't have say facebook/twitter account which I find funny.

The word here is COMMON SENSE. And follow your instinct. If something does not feel right with the person, believe it.

I met my husband on POF. Dunno how many times I've to say that he makes me feel comfortable especially when I went to his house for the first time. And I NEVER ever feel safe like that in my life. Especially when going to a guy's house which I RARELY do.

Even the guy I dated for 5 months have noticed my 'fear' the first time I was at his house. I honestly I'm in the ' I'm ready to run the F out of here if you make even a slight perv move ' like i leave his front door slightly open and didn't even sit down just the whole 5 minutes I was there I was close to the front door. LOL.

Really if you dabble with online dating. You have got to be prepared for anything and that means thinking of your safety, first and foremost. And knowing how to defend yourself if it need be. Just always be cautious.

I've actually had guys I met or about to meet express their frustration on how cautious I am and my 'ridiculous' rules when meeting them. I always say well you are practically a stranger so of course I have to be. And they say then I should not be doing online dating then. Most of them, I haven't heard from again which is good riddance. LOL.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 PM

102,366 posts, read 108,650,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This person's mistake wasn't in looking online for a date, it was in assuming that because he was on a Christian site, that it made him "safer" than other people, and due to that assumption, putting herself in a position where she was alone with him and isolated.
This was my feeling, as well. She did something most online daters know not to do, because she may have had a false sense of security. But someone on our forum tried Christian sites and she said they were the worst in terms of sexual come-ons.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,463,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This was my feeling, as well. But someone on our forum tried Christian sites and she said they were the worst.
They are. That's because some people are only on there to "shop," and are temporarily identifying as Christian. When I was on FB, the people who went fanatical were funny, and not very credible. On these sites, one party has generally complicated their lives and is looking to the other party as a "savior" of sorts. While I have not gone to any non-denominational Christian singles functions, I have heard that the quality (ahem) of the people and the level of drama is no different than if it were a secular setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships