Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times

Advertisements

As the regulars know, I was in LDR for a while, moved to another state to be with him. Lived with him for about 6 years. I found out one week before our 9th anniversary (just before Thanksgiving) that he was seeing Bertha Butt (his co-worker) - and yes, she is "just a friend" like they all are to cheaters. Rather than have the balls to admit it (even after being approached with the facts), he kept telling me that they weren’t sleeping together. He said they were "watching YouTube videos" (until at least 1:00 in the morning).

Once, when I was packing, he held the phone in his hand, and said that he'd call her and break it off with her. (What's there to break off if you're just friends?) I left. I left my job. I left the apartment. I left co-workers that were my friends (in the historical sense of the word). I moved back to my home state. I have no job. I am living with my daughter. I don't have the love that I thought I had.

After I left, he was crying that he missed me, that we could work it out, that he wanted to call me from time to time. He even asked me if I could move back and into another apartment with him!!! I told him that I wasn't going to move back only to find out that I had to leave again.

I was stupid because, even though I was being extremely cautious, I was also trying to be optimistic. I thought that if other couples got through infidelity, maybe we could. I was having a hard time trusting him, but was looking for ways to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So, what does he do? He asked me if I had been calling Bertha Butt and hanging up!!! I had no reason to call her, but he just let me know that he was still (at least) talking to her. I told him that I didn't want to talk to him anymore. He still owes me some money, so I told him that I wanted that and there was nothing else to talk about. He has just been stringing me along, just like all of you said he would do. Then, I texted her, because I had a feeling that SHE didn't know that he was talking to me, either. It’s obvious that he’s told her lies, but she believes him rather than me. That’s okay, she will find out. I have to take care of myself.

I am still so hurt over all of it. If I was less strong, I’d probably be in a hospital. But, d@mn, how stupid could I be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:08 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Where is the *hug* emoticon when we need it?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 PM

166 posts, read 244,414 times
I feel for you Ms. M. Time heals all wounds. Hang in there.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where is the *hug* emoticon when we need it?
((hugs the OP with genuine sympathy, for how despicably, cruelly, and capriciously she has been treated by her ex))

Very sorry OP, to hear that you are hurting so badly atm, due to the absolutely horrible, unforgivable, awful, and heartless way that your ex has behaved in this, especially when you had sacrificed everything to be with him earlier...

Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
There's a lot of jerks out there. I'm sorry that you were strung along by one of those jerks.

Take time to heal and look back on that relationship to learn from the signs that were there so you don't put yourself in that position anymore.

Now's a good time to vent! Especially on here

Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Hope is what keeps us human beings going. You weren't stupid, you were full of the human spirit. In other words, you were full of hope. I'm sorry this happened to you. Don't be too hard on yourself. Try to get you feet back underneath you and find your stride again. Again, don't be too hard on yourself. Many people would have done the exact same thing as you.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
No fault of yours that you have an open heart and a trusting soul. He took advantage and that hurts. Don't call yourself stupid or blame yourself. That's letting him off the hook. He's responsible for his actions. You are only responsible for how you react to them. Leaving was a good thing. Pat yourself on the back for being smart.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:42 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

I didn't think that I picked the wrong man. I thought (and lived with him to see) that he had the same values, the same level of cleanliness, etc. We even both wanted to enjoy each other by sharing a movie on the sofa in the evenings . . . or so I thought. I guess that got boring, but no one told me.

As far as the sixth sense goes, I always thought that I had a good sense of who people were. I was generally able to sense when I first met someone if I could trust them. I know that sounds unfair, but I think it kept me out of a few scrapes. Not so this time.

Pick the overlooked guy? I thought I was doing that, as well. I don't go for the guy that is exceptionally handsome (because they ACT as if they are exceptionally handsome - just like many beautiful women do). I loved him for what was on the inside. I also loved his smile, but he felt like some of the guys here who are shorter, have less hair, etc. He didn't have to be grateful. He only had to love me, since I loved him.

That's 9 years I'll never get back.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-28-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
As the regulars know, I was in LDR for a while, moved to another state to be with him. Lived with him for about 6 years. I found out one week before our 9th anniversary (just before Thanksgiving) that he was seeing Bertha Butt (his co-worker) - and yes, she is "just a friend" like they all are to cheaters. Rather than have the balls to admit it (even after being approached with the facts), he kept telling me that they weren’t sleeping together. He said they were "watching YouTube videos" (until at least 1:00 in the morning).

Once, when I was packing, he held the phone in his hand, and said that he'd call her and break it off with her. (What's there to break off if you're just friends?) I left. I left my job. I left the apartment. I left co-workers that were my friends (in the historical sense of the word). I moved back to my home state. I have no job. I am living with my daughter. I don't have the love that I thought I had.

After I left, he was crying that he missed me, that we could work it out, that he wanted to call me from time to time. He even asked me if I could move back and into another apartment with him!!! I told him that I wasn't going to move back only to find out that I had to leave again.

I was stupid because, even though I was being extremely cautious, I was also trying to be optimistic. I thought that if other couples got through infidelity, maybe we could. I was having a hard time trusting him, but was looking for ways to give him the benefit of the doubt.

So, what does he do? He asked me if I had been calling Bertha Butt and hanging up!!! I had no reason to call her, but he just let me know that he was still (at least) talking to her. I told him that I didn't want to talk to him anymore. He still owes me some money, so I told him that I wanted that and there was nothing else to talk about. He has just been stringing me along, just like all of you said he would do. Then, I texted her, because I had a feeling that SHE didn't know that he was talking to me, either. It’s obvious that he’s told her lies, but she believes him rather than me. That’s okay, she will find out. I have to take care of myself.

I am still so hurt over all of it. If I was less strong, I’d probably be in a hospital. But, d@mn, how stupid could I be?

I'm so sorry you are hurting

Can I play devil's advocate for just a minute though?

Is it possible that he wasn't talking to her after you left when he said he wanted you back, and maybe SHE called him using "hang up calls" as an excuse to get him to talk to her?

You do need to follow your gut instincts for sure, but you do have 9 years invested in this relationship - are you going to regret later not doing more now to see if you could work things out?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM

896 posts, read 1,476,550 times
Are you sure her name is Bertha Butt?

Maybe Butt is her middle name, and her last name is Hole? Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships