Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Pure BS lady. The man made that money entirely on his own.

Tell me. If you marry a man who is already rich, how are you entitled to half of his money when you divorce? The man made that money entirely on his own.

How could you sit there and somehow be as if you are entitled without feeling terrible for yourself?
What on earth are you talking about? Julia was talking about HER marriage - not the woman in the article. She is not the woman in the article. She did not marry the man in the article. How on earth do we know what the marriage was like and who is entitled to what? Marriage is about more than money. So is divorce.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,805,785 times
Quote:
You're derailing from the conversation. I have nothing against woman. I have a problem with the women who think it is okay to take half the wealth of their exes as if it actually belongs to them. The woman from the article plays the sad little victim as if she was manipulated into what exactly? Not owning her half that doesn't belong to her?

But you're right. Maybe I should have been a bit more specific towards these certain brand of women.

Let's hear what Bill Burr has to say. He's covered this before.
It's not just limited to women. When I married, I had a nest egg and a high paying job. My Ex had debt and a low paying job. I paid off his debts and we started building from there... but for years, I always earned more--a lot more. In the last year of our marriage he finally caught up to me when he got out of the military and got a lucrative contractor's job (and then asked me for a divorce). Despite my contributing more to the savings over the years, we split things 50/50 (and that included assets I had before the marriage because there was no way to really separate them out--at least not without spending a lot of money in legal fees. Then there would be nothing left).

It's just the way it is. As women catch up to men when it comes to making money, things will even out on that front. But right now, on average women earn less, so just by pure numbers, men will end up paying more.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:06 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
You're derailing from the conversation. I have nothing against woman. I have a problem with the women who think it is okay to take half the wealth of their exes as if it actually belongs to them. The woman from the article plays the sad little victim as if she was manipulated into what exactly? Not owning her half that doesn't belong to her?

But you're right. Maybe I should have been a bit more specific towards these certain brand of women.

Let's hear what Bill Burr has to say. He's covered this before.
You cannot blame the women or men who take advantages of the broken system. Greed is part of human nature. Are you telling me if the bank is handling out million dollars, you are not going to get it simply because you didn't earn it?

Blame the broken system.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What on earth are you talking about? Julia was talking about HER marriage - not the woman in the article. She is not the woman in the article. She did not marry the man in the article. How on earth do we know what the marriage was like and who is entitled to what? Marriage is about more than money. So is divorce.
What am I talking about? What are YOU talking about? I'm asking the same question all along. What are women's opinion on this issue? And you seem to want to get into some little debate with me that I just don't get. What are you upset about?

I asked how can a woman justify taking half of their exes money? Your response and Julia's response, it seems, is that, "we don't know what the marriage was like and who is entitled to what." And that just doesn't make sense. Let me ask it this way, how could anyone ever be entitled to half of their exes money which they did not earn? How?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You cannot blame the women or men who take advantages of the broken system. Greed is part of human nature. Are you telling me if the bank is handling out million dollars, you are not going to get it simply because you didn't earn it?

Blame the broken system.
Yes, I can very much blame the men and women who take advantage of a broken system. It's called intelligence and bringing these things to awareness is the only way we will ever evolve.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,773 times
It is so very easy to point fingers at the wife in this case. Sure, he made the money, but how about her contributions?

She's been with him since she was 18. She was his arm candy. She was promised a certain level of care and lifestyle from him if she put her own future goals aside to be his young arm candy. She later bore him 3 children. She remained loyal to him, she held up her end of the vow. And, you know DARN WELL that he knew she had no idea what she was signing when he presented the prenup 4 days before the wedding. He gambled that she had wedding bells ringing in her ears, so she would sign anything to ensure the wedding happened. His gamble was right, she signed. She was younger and inexperienced than he, so I would say he took advantage of her naiveness.

How is her entitlement to half of his estate any different than a middle class couple getting a divorce and having to split everything 50/50?

As a successful business man, he should have kept his end of the deal. As a successful business man, he should have been fully aware of the consequences of not upholding his side of the contract. As a divorcee, she was able to prove (from the article) that he had demonstrated a pattern of lying - so, all the haters out there, he should be entitled to dump her on her a** without a dime after a marriage of broken promises time and again? Kudos to her for doing her leg work and creating a case for herself.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:28 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
The problem with strawman debates like this thread, where we speculate and castigate real people with actual histories we do not know, is that we're using abstract arguments in a concrete situation. I don't know what he promised her, I don't know what kind of marriage they had, I don't know if one or both of them are terrible liars, I don't know anything about their finances, and so on. I don't like to make ignorant judgments about people, and sensationalist gossip articles only give half the story on purpose. The article seems to say that she got the prenup overturned but they're not divorced yet. A judge determined that the wife was made to sign the contract under duress, without being given adequate time to review it and consult with her own lawyer. I don't know whether that is true or not, but that's what the judge ruled and I assume that some kind of evidence was produced. Is that what you are arguing--that the husband did not make her sign the contract under duress? Because that's what the article is about, not how much money she got in the divorce. I don't think that has happened yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
You’re right but it is hard to grasp how correct it is for a woman who divorces a millionaire to receive a 5 digit check for more than 18 years per child for child support simply because she married a millionaire instead of simply doing the math and having him give her what the child REALLY needs. Still, these women end up living a nice lavish lifestyle because they are receiving more than what the child really needs. We’re talking about millionaire divorces not your average Joe divorce. Let’s say it costs X amount of money per month to raise a child, do you find it fair and just to have divorce courts award women who divorce a millionaire that amount tripled or more simply because the father is a millionaire? Why not have him support the child with what he REALLY needs?
I have no idea. I don't really care that much about megamillionaires fighting over money, to be honest. I don't know who gets "five-digit checks" and suspect you don't know anybody this happens to, either. How is it calculated? I don't know. I do know that the average Jane doesn't get a whole lot of money, if she's lucky enough to get any. Yes, your heart bleeds for the tiny, tiny, tiny handful of megamillionaires writing five-digit checks for child support to their succubus ex-wives. I don't think about them that much.

If you want to talk about average Joes and Janes and what average Juniors REALLY need, okay.

Quote:
Pure BS lady. The man made that money entirely on his own.
What man, my husband?

Quote:
Tell me. If you marry a man who is already rich, how are you entitled to half of his money when you divorce? The man made that money entirely on his own.

How could you sit there and somehow be as if you are entitled without feeling terrible for yourself?
What are you talking about? I said my husband and I were broke when we married. Nobody was rich.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
It's not just limited to women. When I married, I had a nest egg and a high paying job. My Ex had debt and a low paying job. I paid off his debts and we started building from there... but for years, I always earned more--a lot more. In the last year of our marriage he finally caught up to me when he got out of the military and got a lucrative contractor's job (and then asked me for a divorce). Despite my contributing more to the savings over the years, we split things 50/50 (and that included assets I had before the marriage because there was no way to really separate them out--at least not without spending a lot of money in legal fees. Then there would be nothing left).

It's just the way it is. As women catch up to men when it comes to making money, things will even out on that front. But right now, on average women earn less, so just by pure numbers, men will end up paying more.
First of all, I am sorry for the divorce and the hell you were put through. Your ex sounds like a terrible person.

I don't know what is it about some of us humans how we can turn so ugly and bitterly against someone we claimed to love. But I feel that we should bring to light these issues. I know that that is our situation, but it doesn't have to be that way. We should call those folks for who they are... greedy selfish golddiggers, and they did not earn one single penny that was made by their spouse. I'm really sorry for what happened to you.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,607,414 times
Ever since the no fault divorce has become reality, the whole marriage/divorce deal has beocme a quick get rich scheme for many. Any man with a substantial net worth, who is considering marriage should go see a shrink first. Its a joke for a judicial system to support this scam.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Yes, I can very much blame the men and women who take advantage of a broken system. It's called intelligence and bringing these things to awareness is the only way we will ever evolve.
Then you need to marry a woman whom you can trust and respect. You also have to have full confidence knowing that she has no character issues. Her emotions will be in check at all time (People do crazy things when they are angry you know.) One of the guys I dated briefly ended all my buy-it-now items in my ebay store and left me 100 negative feedbacks because he was angry. He was way wealthier than I was, yet, he was emotionally unstable.

I am not going to marry somebody who is dumb, aggressive, narrow minded, greedy, and the list goes on. I am a good and fair person, I also am not suffering from any mental illnesses prevent me from making good decisions. I also don't believe I deserve taking what I don't deserve. I don't believe in stealing, justified, legally or what not. I can only hope I will marry somebody who believe the same way I do.

Or I will stay single for the rest of my life.

Just by educating the general publics will do nothing good to me individually because most people will STILL take their belief to their own graves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships