Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Are you asking our opinions or aren't you? I'm confused...

My opinion is that marriages and divorces are between two people - and since I am not involved any marriage other than my own - I cannot honestly say what is fair and what is not. Being that I AM married - I understand what marriage is about. I understand the dynamics, the ins and outs, the journey - and it is not all about money. You have a very black and white opinion about what people are entitled to. My point is that things aren't always black and white - and since it isn't MY marriage - I don't know what shades of grey are involved.

Is a wife who doesn't work ever entitled to half of the money that her husband accumulated while they were married? Sometimes. Not all the time. But sometimes, I believe that it is fair.
I don't know is really not an opinion. The question is how could anyone be justified in taking half of their spouses money. You're not really giving an opinion on this. What do you mean its really not "black and white"? Just give me one reason how someone is in any way entitled to half of the money. If its not black and white than there are a handful of colorful ways to come up with a good reason why anyone is entitled to half of their exes wealth. Right? Give me one.

To your last paragraph.... while they are married, his money is her money and vice versa. It's the point of marriage after all.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I don't know is really not an opinion. The question is how could anyone be justified in taking half of their spouses money. You're not really giving an opinion on this. What do you mean its really not "black and white"? Just give me one reason how someone is in any way entitled to half of the money. If its not black and white than there are a handful of colorful ways to come up with a good reason why anyone is entitled to half of their exes wealth. Right? Give me one.

To your last paragraph.... while they are married, his money is her money and vice versa. It's the point of marriage after all.
My opinion is that it isn't possible to know the goings on in a relationship that I had no part of.

Are you talking about money from before the marriage or during the marriage.

Like the others said - if he needed a prenup and did not live up to his own end of the bargain - then there really isn't anyone could do for him.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I apologize for the confusion. You said something to the effect that men have to worry about losing their premarital fortune to greedy ex-wives. I've heard other posters say this too. That must be a terrible thing to worry about, and I'm sorry that you do. My husband and I had no money when we were married, so we avoided that angst, and I'm grateful.
Its a discussion. People here on City-data worry about other even more moot issues. However, this certain specific issue is an imminent one and can affect anyone and this is why I am bringing this topic up. Ever since I was a kid I always asked my mother and sisters the same thing and all they said was, "its the law." No one has ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever given any real reason how it is in any way justified.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Its a discussion. People here on City-data worry about other even more moot issues. However, this certain specific issue is an imminent one and can affect anyone and this is why I am bringing this topic up. Ever since I was a kid I always asked my mother and sisters the same thing and all they said was, "its the law." No one has ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever given any real reason how it is in any way justified.
But if you have no intention of ever getting married - why does this scare you so much?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
My opinion is that it isn't possible to know the goings on in a relationship that I had no part of.

Are you talking about money from before the marriage or during the marriage.

Like the others said - if he needed a prenup and did not live up to his own end of the bargain - then there really isn't anyone could do for him.
You're really not addressing the question. I am talking about money from before and during the marriage. He worked for it. He made it. How could she ever be entitled to it? Did you see that Bill Burr video I posted?

Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
But if you have no intention of ever getting married - why does this scare you so much?
It's why I don't want to get married. It's why I'm bringing this up. I'd like to get married but jesus... our society is so messed up. And every time you bring it up people come up with extreeeeeemely arbitrary rationalizations. It's ridiculous.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:09 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
What is the specific issue--why divorces pay half in the first place? Legally it's equitable and the easiest to process, so it's in the courts best interest. People who don't want to pay half should get a prenup. I can see the merit in having one. Not only can you protect your assets, you can probably name a maximum payout in case of a divorce or require that it be calculated a certain way.

It's justified in my marriage because everything we have we earned together, supporting one another. I would not have what I do without him, and he would not have what he does without me.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
We cross-posted.

The problem with strawman debates like this thread, where we speculate and castigate real people with actual histories we do not know, is that we're using abstract arguments in a concrete situation. I don't know what he promised her, I don't know what kind of marriage they had, I don't know if one or both of them are terrible liars, I don't know anything about their finances, and so on. I don't like to make ignorant judgments about people, and sensationalist gossip articles only give half the story on purpose. The article seems to say that she got the prenup overturned but they're not divorced yet. A judge determined that the wife was made to sign the contract under duress, without being given adequate time to review it and consult with her own lawyer. I don't know whether that is true or not, but that's what the judge ruled and I assume that some kind of evidence was produced. Is that what you are arguing--that the husband did not make her sign the contract under duress? Because that's what the article is about, not how much money she got in the divorce. I don't think that has happened yet.
Look you're thinking too much. The point is regardless of how their marriage turned out, or why they divorced, there really aren't very many ways to justify any person taking half of their exes wealth. I'd like to know if there is any justification what that may be. There's really no need to over think this.

Quote:
Do I think a wife is generally entitled to part of any money or assets that a husband accumulated before a divorce? No.
So what do you have to say in the case of this woman in this article? Or how would you respond to any women, and in some cases men, receiving half of the assets that a man accumulated before a divorce? What would you say to them? Would you call them out on it?

Quote:
Do I think a wife is generally entitled to part of any money or assets that a husband accumulated during a marriage? Yes.
Why?

Quote:
Do I think THAT wife in THAT story is entitled to half her husband's money, at least the part he acquired after they married? No, but without a prenup she'll probably get whatever the law allows. It sucks for him,
Okay so we agree on this issue. What is your opinion on women who take advantage of this law?

Quote:
but I think the law is fair when applied to most people.
Explain.

Quote:
If you're going to use a prenup to protect yourself, do it right so that it's not thrown out later.
Fair enough.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Wife of Millionaire Wins "Unprecedented" Case to Overturn Prenup Agreement | Love + Sex - Yahoo! Shine

From the article:

I saw this on Yahoo! today and it just got me a bit confused. Is there something I am missing? How did this woman win? And how is this even fair? Why did she divorce him in the first place? Because he didn't change the name of the house, which he most likely bought with his own money?

Please women, elaborate on why you are worth your ex-husband's money which he made on his own.

It seems to me that marriage is becoming more and more scary for successful men. I feel that our society will eventually run into some world where marriage becomes obsolete. If a woman wants money, work your ass off like the men you chase who are well-accomplished. If you want to marry him, then stay with him. This is after all why any man would make you sign a prenuptial agreement because they fear the woman will for irrational reasons decide to leave him and take half of his money. Staying with him would avoid all the headaches, and depression that life would hand to you... and you're probably going to be more set financially as well.

I don't get it. What exactly am I missing?
Emotional duress. The man presented her with the prenup days before the wedding. Therefore emotional blackmail.

Amazing what you learn with 2 semesters of business law.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
What is the specific issue--why divorces pay half in the first place? Legally it's equitable and the easiest to process, so it's in the courts best interest. People who don't want to pay half should get a prenup. I can see the merit in having one. Not only can you protect your assets, you can probably name a maximum payout in case of a divorce or require that it be calculated a certain way.
The real issue is that anyone who makes money during or before a divorce is the sole owner of the money. No exceptions. The only people who should be receiving any money are the children. That is all.

Quote:
It's justified in my marriage because everything we have we earned together, supporting one another. I would not have what I do without him, and he would not have what he does without me.
That's awesome. I commend the two of you for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships