Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
lol, we men are told that women love to talk about themselves, so just keep them talking. Seems to be true in my experience. I think it's a human thing, not gender specific.
Talking to women is definitely not as simple as introducing yourself and asking them about themselves.

If you're in college and you meet a woman, she wants to know your political views, what cool concerts and bands you know, what parties you can get her into.

If you're working, they want to know what cool bars and restaurants you've been to, where your apartment is, and where you've traveled, or do you do something interesting for work. If you don't do something interesting, do you make enough money to live in an interesting place or go to interesting places?

It's really not specific to romance. The same holds when I'm talking to a guy. If I meet a guy at a party, and I have nothing to offer him in terms of introducing him to women, conversation about awesome bars I've been to or Burning Man or South by Southwest, he'll walk away. People want what they can get from you, and if you can't offer it, they'll walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 09:25 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Talking to women is definitely not as simple as introducing yourself and asking them about themselves.

If you're in college and you meet a woman, she wants to know your political views, what cool concerts and bands you know, what parties you can get her into.

If you're working, they want to know what cool bars and restaurants you've been to, where your apartment is, and where you've traveled, or do you do something interesting for work.

It's really not specific to romance. The same holds when I'm talking to a guy. If I meet a guy at a party, and I have nothing to offer him in terms of introducing him to women, conversation about awesome bars I've been to or Burning Man, he'll walk away. People want what they can get from you, and if you can't offer it, they'll walk away.
Yeah you can't just make the other person talk 100% of the time, but I will always shift focus back to them instead of rambling on about myself. I'll answer their question then ask them something in return to get them talking about themselves.

Also helps to keep yourself a little on the mysterious side vs telling the person everything there is to know about you in one fell swoop. This pertains more to interacting with women then men.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Yeah you can't just make the other person talk 100% of the time, but I will always shift focus back to them instead of rambling on about myself. I'll answer their question then ask them something in return to get them talking about themselves.

Also helps to keep yourself a little on the mysterious side vs telling the person everything there is to know about you in one fell swoop. This pertains more to interacting with women then men.
The ironic thing about it is that once a woman decides to marry you and have kids, life largely consists of doing mostly boring things. Going to parks, and little shops and orchards with a baby stroller.

But before that, you have to grab women's interest, and it's not easy. This is what I would classify as what is typically called 'game'. You're putting your intelligence, life travels, accomplishments, humor and social success on display. It's not for the weak hearted.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:13 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
I am sure that a lot of the men who choose not to approach have done their share of approaching with no success so they probably have grown frustrated and dissapointed and have chosen to stop doing it, I don't blame them, everybody has their breaking point.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:46 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
The ironic thing about it is that once a woman decides to marry you and have kids, life largely consists of doing mostly boring things. Going to parks, and little shops and orchards with a baby stroller.
No wonder you don't approach women! This is your vision of married life? These days, people put the baby in a baby carrier they wear, and go hiking, or when the baby's a toddler they put him in a little trailer behind the bike and go biking. They leave the baby with a baby sitter and have a romantic weekend together, or even a vacation. They certainly don't give up friends and hobbies just because they have a baby. But if you're not into babies, find a woman who agrees with that. They're out there.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:53 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitlyn9 View Post
I also noticed men smiling at other men when they see hot women. Is it almost like they look at each other like oh my god she's so hot. Do men really do that. This what i see at their place of work.
Yes. We can have a whole conversation - just through looks and face gestures (I am sure women can too) on a long list of subjects. This type of communication is based on our shared experiences. I know what other guys are thinking and they know what I am thinking. The only reason we do it is because we are most likely in a situation or place where we cannot verbalize or thoughts.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:54 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

If you're working, they want to know what cool bars and restaurants you've been to, where your apartment is, and where you've traveled, or do you do something interesting for work. If you don't do something interesting, do you make enough money to live in an interesting place or go to interesting places?
This depends so much on the woman! Many college women aren't into the party scene, and wouldn't even expect someone to know a band or discuss politics. These are cliches that don't apply to anyone I've ever known, now (among my 20-something friends) or when I was in college. Quite a few women know it's rude to ask someone about money, I don't know where you get that part. You seem to feel there's a lot of pressure on men to be interesting, well-travelled, or monied. Most people don't expect that at a young age. They're just happy to find someone who likes them and with whom they can enjoy life, trying out new restaurants or taking turns cooking at home, going to festivals, going out of town, or hanging out at home.

Is this one reason why men don't approach women? They're afraid of expectations being placed on them that they can't measure up to? There's no reason to live in fear like that. It seems like you're conjuring up bogeymen (or -women) and scaring yourself into inaction.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:01 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No wonder you don't approach women! This is your vision of married life? These days, people put the baby in a baby carrier they wear, and go hiking, or when the baby's a toddler they put him in a little trailer behind the bike and go biking. They leave the baby with a baby sitter and have a romantic weekend together, or even a vacation. They certainly don't give up friends and hobbies just because they have a baby. But if you're not into babies, find a woman who agrees with that. They're out there.
Well, I have to say that doing all those things with a baby or babies is really hard. I mean, I have travelled since I've had children - but not as far and not as often. It's so much harder with children. Just leaving the house or getting into the car becomes an ordeal! I definitely don't see my friends as often as I used to and I definitely don't have that much free time for hobbies. BUT - and this is the big but that I would say most people that don't have children don't understand - going to the park, going on a walk, or just hanging out with your baby - these things are not boring. Spending time with your children is not boring. Watching other people spend time with their children is boring - but spending time with your own children is wonderful!

Old 08-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I didn't mean that it is boring as in undesirable. Obviously, those parents are enamored with their kids.

What I mean is that all of the things you use to impress women, your knowledge of bars, restaurants, travels, etc, is not going to mean as much if anything when you're holed up taking care of babies.

As far as leaving the baby aside and carrying on with their friends and former life like it was, LMFAO lady. Which planet are you from? Have you ever had friends who have had kids? And once a second one comes, forget about it.

I mean, later on when the kids are a bit more grown, the parents can step out more a bit, but it never is the same.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:09 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Yes. We can have a whole conversation - just through looks and face gestures (I am sure women can too) on a long list of subjects. This type of communication is based on our shared experiences. I know what other guys are thinking and they know what I am thinking. The only reason we do it is because we are most likely in a situation or place where we cannot verbalize or thoughts.
Yes, and that is also our way of telling other men "Daaaamn she is fine"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships