Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the best prom proposals? You may choose more than one.
Getting her a Starbuck's drink and having "Will you go to prom with me?" written on it instead of her name. 4 21.05%
Taking her to eat Chinese food and replacing her fortune cookie with one that says, "Will you go to prom with me?" for the fortune. 9 47.37%
Giving her a small bouquet of flowers and writing, "Will you go to prom with me?" on the card. 6 31.58%
Decorating her room with flower petals & a written invitation--without her knowing. 2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,575,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
Thanks for your vote. The pizza idea might be a little messy, but it is a possibility. I was leaning towards his Starbucks' idea because she probably wouldn't read it until she had been drinking it for awhile. He sometimes picks it up and takes it to her, so she wouldn't hear it at the coffee shop or anything. That would make it surprising and very unsuspected.
That's why the suggestion to write it in the box under the pizza. Your son might have to eat a few more pieces so she can see the message. Use a permanent marker too. Oh, and get an extra empty box with the message, in case she wants one she can keep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 01:40 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,198,825 times
OP, I voted for the Chinese fortune cookie option ... just as along as they don't play that game by reading the fortune and adding "in bed" at the end.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 PM

402 posts, read 1,408,431 times
Cool Thanks for the votes and input. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
. . . I don't get the fad either. All my sweetie had to say was, "Will you be my prom date?" And I was head spinning, heart racing, the world stopping for a good 5 minutes. But I played it off by saying, "Duh! You're my boyfriend. I thought this was already established!"

She won't say no though, no matter how he asks (unless she's a jerk) so I guess that isn't much of an issue. Any one of the above choices and she'll have her story to tell after until she gets to college and it's irrelevant.
EXACTLY! When they look back at HS, this will be a sweet memory--no matter where life takes them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt85 View Post
Well, I think its weird, BUT Im in my 30s. If this is the thing to do, then I cant blame for doing it.

I voted for the fortune cookie- seems romantic.

Since he writes poetry though, why not write a poem asking her to the dance and have some flowers delivered with the poem - that seems very sweet
Thanks for the cookie vote and your story too.

He writes poetry when the mood strikes him. I wouldn't ask him to write poetry for his gf. It WOULD be sweet, though.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:49 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,575,890 times
Another creative way to ask, if a local theater show advertisements before the movie, is to buy an ad for a show. The danger is, if it's a multi-plex, she might change her mind about which movie to see or she doesn't pay attention to the ads. The way around the latter is to find out the order of the ads and then he can direct her attention to the ad just before hers.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:04 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,238,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
EXACTLY! They are kids who want to remember a moment in time.

Why are some of these people thinking that HE wants some public awareness for this? He wants to ask her in a CREATIVE, but PERSONAL way.

Look at the poll, people! He wants to hand her a drink, a fortune cookie, or flowers; or maybe decorate her private bedroom.

These are not GRANDIOSE or overly PUBLIC displays. He wants to do it to create a MEMORY, NOT PUBLICITY.

No one except the barista at Starbuck's will know what the cup says. Only SHE will read the fortune. Only she will read the note on the flowers. Only her immediate family will know about her room--parents would have to allow him access and they would want to see it.

Honestly, SOME people read TOO much into things.

Is it too much to ask strangers to vote for the proposal that they like? Really?
Remember a moment? Isn't that what dressing up, taking pictures, and spiking the punch are for?

As for reading too much into things, pot meet kettle. Yes, it's a big night for the kids, but it's not marriage. It's not a proposal. It's a dang date. If he simply MUST have an idea, put it on the dang coffee napkin. That's about all the effort anyone should have to put into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I think many here are making judgments based on their own ages. We're talking kids here and if that's the rage for them now, let them have their fun.
Yeah, hi, we were all that age once, too, and I doubt any of us needed all of that. When I was a junior, I dated a senior. We just set it up for both junior and senior proms with, "Which weekend is yours? Okay, mine is the week after." When I was a senior, I turned down two guys and asked someone I did want to go with, just by picking up the phone and saying, "Would you like to come to my prom with me?" I also went to another senior prom at another school with someone I worked with at an after-school job, and he just asked, "Will you go to my prom with me?"

If anything, proms are getting LESS formal these days, with kids not even needing official dates and instead just going together in groups. This girl just sounds over-the-top with needing attention.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:49 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,218,860 times
My actual prom was lame as hell. The after party though

Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,238,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
My actual prom was lame as hell. The after party though
Same here, although 29 years later, I still can't drink rum and coke.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,257,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Present her with a frog and say, "Hey Princess, if you want Prince Charming, you have to kiss this, first."
If he likes this idea have him visit eBay where I am selling large stuffed frogs with gold crowns. PM me for link.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,594,831 times
It sounds like they're a sweet couple, and I have to give her points for NOT wanting this to be public. I voted for the flower bouquet, it's classy. The petals in her room sound like an invitation to something else entirely!!

Another idea -- get a recordable Teddy bear from Hallmark and have him says some nice things along with inviting her. Then she can play it over and over!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:23 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,358,326 times
Just show her this thread, then she can pick

or

Let her decide. She can tell him how she wants to be asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships