Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the best prom proposals? You may choose more than one.
Getting her a Starbuck's drink and having "Will you go to prom with me?" written on it instead of her name. 4 21.05%
Taking her to eat Chinese food and replacing her fortune cookie with one that says, "Will you go to prom with me?" for the fortune. 9 47.37%
Giving her a small bouquet of flowers and writing, "Will you go to prom with me?" on the card. 6 31.58%
Decorating her room with flower petals & a written invitation--without her knowing. 2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,391,973 times

Advertisements

I was checking back in to see how it went - I saw you posted he went with the Starbucks idea. I am glad it went over well with his GF.

Its kinda funny, if she just kept being vague, or expecting something special and never verbalizing what she wanted and then got hurt when he can't read her mind, she would have been criticized by many for expecting her boyfriend to be a mind reader.

When someone expresses what they would like, they are considered a drama queen, demanding, or spoiled?

Its not like she told him do this or we are over, or if you want me to go to prom with you , you have to ask in a certain way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM

402 posts, read 1,407,842 times
Arrow If I had known that people would misread between the lines, I would have clarified the opening paragraph.

Someone doesn't understand the meaning of the op or irony.

"Spiking the punch" and "getting laid" may have been your objectives at prom, but YOU shouldn't project here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
My son would like to invite his girlfriend to Prom in a creative, but inexpensive way.
She knows they are going, but she wants to be asked in a special way. . . .
Quote:
. . . I didn’t realize that my opening paragraph needed so much clarification.

My son knew that his gf would LIKE to be asked in a creative way. She did NOT ASK him to do anything. (Their friends were talking about someone who wrote on his gf’s car. Someone mentioned that it was tacky and unoriginal and she agreed with the comment. . . . instantly he understood that she WOULD like a creative proposal . . . . He just wanted to add a special detail to their whole prom experience by making sure that his proposal was a little more creative, so that she would remember it.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:21 AM

Talking Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I was checking back in to see how it went - I saw you posted he went with the Starbucks idea. I am glad it went over well with his GF.

Its kinda funny, if she just kept being vague, or expecting something special and never verbalizing what she wanted and then got hurt when he can't read her mind, she would have been criticized by many for expecting her boyfriend to be a mind reader.

When someone expresses what they would like, they are considered a drama queen, demanding, or spoiled?

Its not like she told him do this or we are over, or if you want me to go to prom with you , you have to ask in a certain way.
THANKS! You are right!

The funny thing is that she only agreed with a mutual friend that certain prom proposals were unoriginal. She never told ANYONE that she WANTED a creative proposal. My son just inferred that she would like it and felt determined to make the proposal memorable.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,354,759 times
I cannot even imagine what she expects when it is time for someone to propose marriage to her which is way more important that a simple prom date. I would not even waste spending time with that girl let alone take her anywhere, she sounds like she is already a spoiled entitlement brat.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,855,579 times
Meh, let the kids have their fun with their prom proposals and whatnot. I'm just glad I proposed to my girlfriend before the proposals were expected to be more expensive than the engagement ring.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:11 PM

Talking Let them be sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Meh, let the kids have their fun with their prom proposals and whatnot. I'm just glad I proposed to my girlfriend before the proposals were expected to be more expensive than the engagement ring.
THANKS! +1 That IS all it is really about: teens enjoying being teens.
A girl might not EXPECT romance, but that doesn't mean she won't APPRECIATE it.

I still don't understand some of the negativity and animosity that others (not you) have posted on this thread. How does simply agreeing with someone (who said that a certain proposal was unoriginal) make a girl into a demanding monster?

To those, just now joining us:

My son felt that his gf would like a creative prom proposal and she did. He did something sweet and inexpensive. (Starbucks' with writing on her cup)This is a nice trend that I hope many teens will follow. It is definitely better than those who follow the tradition of spiking the punch.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:56 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,565,609 times
Quote:
Thanks, srjth! I liked that idea too. One of his friends used the fortune cookie idea, so he used his drink idea. He said that he wanted something original (that was not already done--to his knowledge).

You, like the majority of readers, are nice and see this as a sweet gesture. This shows your nature. Kind and generous people can see romantic gestures without jealousy, just as beautiful people can see beauty everywhere. MOST people are inherently kind and like to see these thoughtful gestures.
+1 rep

THANKS again to all of the people who took the time to read, to vote, and to give their thoughts about my son's ideas.
Well now I'll have to forgive your son for not using my vote as it would be bad form to look like he copied someone else. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising on how the first negative posts set the tone for other negative posts, placing the bad image of his gf. What I got from your posts was that she didn't want a public, over the top proposal, just something creative if done at all. I just don't see the spoiled princess image in anything you posted.

Glad to hear his proposal went well. Good for him to do just the right thing. I hope they have a good time at the prom.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:16 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,226,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I cannot even imagine what she expects when it is time for someone to propose marriage to her which is way more important that a simple prom date.

This would have to happen at a RenFaire so he could wear armor and ride into town on a white horse, bearing the ring on the tip of his lance.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,226,727 times
Quote:
Someone doesn't understand the meaning of the op or irony.

"Spiking the punch" and "getting laid" may have been your objectives at prom, but YOU shouldn't project here.

Sorry, toots, but insinuation is nothing but juvenile passive-aggressiveness, and a grown-up will address me directly as I am the one who made those wisecracks. I'm not afraid to own them, as they are based in reality, unlike your aqua-bold romantic fantasies. If you don't think that's what kids do these days, you're in for a mighty surprise. What, never heard the phrase "I'm off like a prom dress?" Come on, don't be naive. It's not like 18-year-olds don't know what sex is or that everyone at the prom will be sipping lemonade and giggling shyly at each other. Get real.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,167,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Sorry, toots, but insinuation is nothing but juvenile passive-aggressiveness, and a grown-up will address me directly as I am the one who made those wisecracks. I'm not afraid to own them, as they are based in reality, whereas your aqua-bold romantic fantasies are not. If you don't think that's what kids do these days, you're in for a mighty surprise. What, never heard the phrase "I'm off like a prom dress?" Come on, don't be naive. It's not like 18-year-olds don't know what sex is or that everyone at the prom will be sipping lemonade and giggling shyly at each other. Get real.
Well that's how it may be at the official prom, but everyone knows the real prom is the after party at a club or someone's place afterwards, with plenty of alchohol on hand .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships