Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose the best prom proposals? You may choose more than one.
Getting her a Starbuck's drink and having "Will you go to prom with me?" written on it instead of her name. 4 21.05%
Taking her to eat Chinese food and replacing her fortune cookie with one that says, "Will you go to prom with me?" for the fortune. 9 47.37%
Giving her a small bouquet of flowers and writing, "Will you go to prom with me?" on the card. 6 31.58%
Decorating her room with flower petals & a written invitation--without her knowing. 2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:16 PM

941 posts, read 1,918,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Wow, I really don't get all of the animosity toward this girl.

A few years ago when I first heard about it, I thought it was a little over the top. But now I think it is rather sweet. why not let young people enjoy something a little special. Its one thing if she was forcing him to do it, but it sounds like the son WANTS to do this too. I googled this to see what some of this was about and it just seems sweet, and fun, and everyone enjoys it.

When I was up last night at 2 am feeding my twins, I had an idea that perhaps he could take her to a pizza place and see if they could spell out Prom with the pepperoni (or whatever toppings they like), or have a pizza delivered to her home with the same? That would be not public and sweet.
I thought about this after and realized it is not bad to do these things for a girl who expect it. Why? Because it is their innocent years and soon they will be on their own and beleive me this will be the furthest kind of worries from their lives. So why not enjoy it? I now wish we had these special "proposals" in my teen years where we were lucky enough just to be asked.

With all the negative media out there on teen pregnancy and bullying, is really refreshing to see something positive and innocent like this. And a mother that cares about not only her son but his girlfriend too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 03:35 PM

402 posts, read 1,407,780 times
Wink It's a Cinderella Story. Don't be jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
. . . the whole concept was over the top and ridiculous, that the girl sounds like an attention-whooah, . . . your son . . . a kiss-arse who gives in to petulant demands like hers. . . .

Some people are too jaded and too jealous to believe that a sweet young couple could possibly deserve to have anything more special than what they had.

Young, innocent romance is a beautiful thing! There is nothing ridiculous, petulant, or demanding about wanting to ask OR to be asked out with a sweet gesture.

If more young men were this thoughtful, the world would be a much sweeter place.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:38 PM

Smile Romance is wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
I thought about this after and realized it is not bad to do these things for a girl who expect it. Why? Because it is their innocent years and soon they will be on their own and beleive me this will be the furthest kind of worries from their lives. So why not enjoy it? I now wish we had these special "proposals" in my teen years where we were lucky enough just to be asked.

With all the negative media out there on teen pregnancy and bullying, is really refreshing to see something positive and innocent like this. And a mother that cares about not only her son but his girlfriend too.
THANKS for your thoughts and opinions, laina! It is nice that people like you (and some others on here) appreciate a young, innocent romance and a caring attitude.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:13 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,340,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post
If more young men were this thoughtful, the world would be a much sweeter place. [/b][/color]
How is doing what you are told thoughtful? It's the opposite of thoughtful. It requires no thought.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:24 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,690,389 times
I like the fortune cookie idea. The whole thing is sweet. I love it.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM

Post What thread were you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
How is doing what you are told thoughtful? It's the opposite of thoughtful. It requires no thought.

No one told him what to do. He did something sweet that he THOUGHT that his gf would like. HE thought of several sweet ideas--on his own. You really should have READ what I wrote before you posted. Some people post things that are are not true and it misleads others that have not read the entire thread.

Some people were very negative and, possibly, even purposefully misleading in their posts. They didn't seem to notice this was a thread about voting for an idea or proffering a new one. They just used their negativity to try to change this into a debate of some sort. This shows their nature.

Last edited by Justin Time; 04-15-2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Talking Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I like the fortune cookie idea. The whole thing is sweet. I love it.
Thanks, srjth! I liked that idea too. One of his friends used the fortune cookie idea, so he used his drink idea. He said that he wanted something original (that was not already done--to his knowledge).

You, like the majority of readers, are nice and see this as a sweet gesture. This shows your nature. Kind and generous people can see romantic gestures without jealousy, just as beautiful people can see beauty everywhere.
MOST people are inherently kind and like to see these thoughtful gestures.
+1 rep

THANKS again to all of the people who took the time to read, to vote, and to give their thoughts about my son's ideas.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:17 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,225,560 times
Quote:
No one told him what to do. He did something sweet that he THOUGHT that his gf would like. HE thought of several sweet ideas--on his own. You really should have READ what I wrote before you posted. Some people post things that are are not true and it misleads others that have not read the entire thread.
Oh, the irony.

Quote:
My son would like to invite his girlfriend to Prom in a creative, but inexpensive way.
She knows they are going, but she wants to be asked in a special way.
That is what is irritating a lot of folks. It's just so bratty. "Ask me in a special way!"

Please.

At any rate, it's over. He kissed her butt, she's happy, now maybe she'll put out. End of story.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,028,092 times
She sounds too needy, and I didn't even read the entire thread.

I'm not going to do something special because she demands I do something special.

I'm going to do something special because I chose to do it, without her permission.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,340,779 times
Quote:

Some people were very negative and, possibly, even purposefully misleading in their posts. They didn't seem to notice this was a thread about voting for an idea or proffering a new one. They just used their negativity to try to change this into a debate of some sort. This shows their nature.
Let's revisit your OP, shall we.
Quote:
She knows they are going, but she wants to be asked in a special way.
How, specifically, did she convey her desire to be asked in a special way?

The impetuous for this seems to have come from her, not from him. It appears to be her thoughts motivating this action, not his.

Get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships