Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,813,677 times

Advertisements

I suspect it works really well for the people selling the books, tapes, videos, etc. Probably laughing all the way to the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,585,488 times
Some of the techniques work really well like touching the girl often. Touching a girl is the best way to escalate a conversation away from the friendzone.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:06 AM

11,836 posts, read 12,113,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
~90% of it is bullsh*t

i'm personally fascinated -- not by the pua people or techniques, but in the way the majority of "polite" society interprets and reacts to whole thing. They loathe it.

For example, if some socially awkward guy who has NEVER read any PUA anything walks up to a girl in a bar and insults her, she says, "Oh he must be a PUA. He is trying to neg me." Any poor assh*le who tries a pickup line and fails becomes a de facto "PUA" to them. Meanwhile some guy who actually understands the nuances of it uses it to charm a girl, and PUA never crosses her mind. In that sense it is very amusing to me.

I have friends who are already cool and charismatic people in their own right, and exposing them to a little bit of PUA literature has helped them turn their relationships around completely. They go into it extremely skeptical, take it with a grain of salt, and learn a little bit that goes a long way. It challenges their preconceived ideas about what women are attracted to.

The flip side is that people who are socially awkward to begin with are often incapable of identifying bad advice.
Yes, and it's often those men who are looking at PUA advice and thinking they've struck gold, yet they'll hardly be able to turn themselves around, let alone "turn ice cold women into sexual slaves just by using a few techniques".

Old 04-12-2013, 08:08 AM

1,755 posts, read 3,007,771 times
I hate pick up lines and smooth talkers. I think sometimes they try to test drive on me because I'm such a quiet person and people usually associate that with docile. But nope, hasn't altered my self-esteem since I was 13.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,416,138 times
I think it works on gullible and overly trusting people. Since I distrust just about everyone's intentions, it would never work on me.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,904,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
I suspect it works really well for the people selling the books, tapes, videos, etc. Probably laughing all the way to the bank.
What I was going to say.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,827,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Yes, and it's often those men who are looking at PUA advice and thinking they've struck gold, yet they'll hardly be able to turn themselves around, let alone "turn ice cold women into sexual slaves just by using a few techniques".
exactly.

TBH -- at first i thought the OP's cringeworthy comment was evidence of extreme social awkwardness, which suggested that attempting to understand PUA would make his life much worse.

but then i thought.. maybe he's just not a native english speaker... maybe i should give him the benefit of the doubt that this is just a one-time fit of awkward hyperbole.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 AM

823 posts, read 1,987,078 times
The only techniques I usually use are the wolf whistle and the blinking.

The wolf whistle is when I see a hot girl walking down the street. 50 per cent of the time they don´t turn their heads to look at me, but I notice a bit of tensión in their body, like if they were doubting what to do (turn their head to look, pretend they don´t notice, start running in panic, etc) and when they do look, I just give them my best smile...in this case they sometimes smile back, they sometimes go a bit agressive. ( been called names sometimes).

And then the blink is in more close, face to face scenarios, for examples bars or shops. If they don´t take it well, i jut can say "no, I was not blinking at you...I just got a nervous tic".

Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,904,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

The flip side is that people who are socially awkward to begin with are often incapable of identifying bad advice.
I agree with this. This comment ties into that thread from the other day.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,827,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
The only techniques I usually use are the wolf whistle and the blinking.

The wolf whistle is when I see a hot girl walking down the street. 50 per cent of the time they don´t turn their heads to look at me, but I notice a bit of tensión in their body, like if they were doubting what to do (turn their head to look, pretend they don´t notice, start running in panic, etc) and when they do look, I just give them my best smile...in this case they sometimes smile back, they sometimes go a bit agressive. ( been called names sometimes).

And then the blink is in more close, face to face scenarios, for examples bars or shops. If they don´t take it well, i jut can say "no, I was not blinking at you...I just got a nervous tic".
jeeesus

like this?

i retract the previous 'benefit of the doubt' i erroneously conferred upon you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships