Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 AM

823 posts, read 1,979,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
That is not "in a good way."

But they say it half jokingly...in fact I put the vaseline away once and she complained "What you doing? Finish what you started".

Women...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,782,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Well, I take it as synonym of something that usually makes the hair stand, or give goose bumps...I've been told that many times, but always in a good way, for example in expressions like "put that jar of vaseline away, you are giving me the willies"
i can't tell if you're being serious, but this is a good time for me to dip out of this thread

Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,773,165 times
PUA alone in and of itself doesn't work if you're interested in looking for long-term relationships...even PUA field experts such as DeAngelo openly acknowledge this in their literature. For ONS or something short-term? Sure, I see how that could work...however, since I am *only* interested in serious, long-term, and marriage-leaning relationships, I will take a pass on PUA techniques.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 AM

810 posts, read 1,810,856 times
The thing about PUA "techniques" and the "industry" is that the only real winners in it are the people who actually write the books and conduct the seminars. They charge outrageous amounts of money to desperate men (almost a decade ago I saw a book advertised through AskMen called "The System" in which you could have for the fair price of $99) who are willing to part with an absurd amount of money to be "successful" with women.

I have had the chance to talk to people who are into that, have read some message board posts and have even had the chance to read a couple articles on techniques and stories. What I have seen I find incredibly shallow, sexist and just lame. The acronyms and lingo are absolutely eye-rolling, and those techniques would only be effective on shallow, unintelligent women. If you're only interested in sex, or a one-night stand, then the techniques might find you success, but on trying to find anybody who is worthwhile, you'll find yourself incredibly disappointing.

Plus, as somebody else has previously noted, can those "techniques" that are taught by PUA "gurus" be properly implemented by people who are naturally socially awkward, shy and naive, or will it simply come across as incredibly fake and rehearsed? Think about all the people who you know that are always getting ladies' attention; do they need to consult some book or read articles on how to do it? They just do because they have that natural persona that leads the ladies in. They are comfortable with themselves, and being secure in who you are is one of the biggest turnons for a woman. When they see a guy who is trying way too hard to be someone other than himself, like a naturally awkward person trying to use PUA techniques, they will sense that from a mile away and be repelled by it.

You don't need a manual or a conference in order to be attractive to women. All you have to do is be comfortable in your own skin. In my case, I am very awkward and sometimes dorky, but I embrace that and even make it a joke, which makes me somebody who is fun to hang out with. And any woman who is worthwhile for a meaningful relationship will not fall for those lame moves. All the women I know who have fallen for those moves are those who are constantly complaining about men and those who just aren't that bright.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,617,364 times
PUA absolutely works, but thats because they are based on true understanding of male/female dynamics. It has helped thousands of guys get laid and have control over their sex lives. Its mostly done by manipulation and understanding how to get woman into bed. I personaly have limited knowledge of PUA, because some of their concepts like memorizing one liners or making up stories to tell, prescripting jokes, or negging seem entirely too cheesy and not worth the effort. There are benefits to it though, so I suppose everyone has to make this decision for themselves. For example, nerdy guys who have never been laid, are now going out 4 nights a week and talking to 10 women a night.

Even if they didnt learn anything from PUA or used a single technique taught, their chances of bedding a girl are immensly higher than when they never went out or were too affraid to talk to women and never approached them. Its pretty much only good for getting a woman into your bed, and its succesful at it, but anything beyond that you are on your own. If youre looking to get laid as much as you can and date around, it seems like you could benefit. If youre looking for marraiage, it wont be of much help. I wouldnt spend a penny on it, personaly but to each his own.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:03 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,752,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Some of the techniques work really well like touching the girl often. Touching a girl is the best way to escalate a conversation away from the friendzone.
Depends on the woman - I'd hate for some dude to read this and think this was a one-size-fits-all approach.

I'm not a very touchy feely person and HATE being touched randomly. If a guy was trying to hit on me and kept trying to touch me, it would be a massive turn-off. It would also be a red flag for me that he wasn't able to pick up on body language and non-verbal "don't touch me/leave me alone" cues.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,901,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Depends on the woman - I'd hate for some dude to read this and think this was a one-size-fits-all approach.

I'm not a very touchy feely person and HATE being touched randomly. If a guy was trying to hit on me and kept trying to touch me, it would be a massive turn-off. It would also be a red flag for me that he wasn't able to pick up on body language and non-verbal "don't touch me/leave me alone" cues.
Agree, especially with the last sentence. I aslo hate being touched randomly.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:08 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,167,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
The thing about PUA "techniques" and the "industry" is that the only real winners in it are the people who actually write the books and conduct the seminars. They charge outrageous amounts of money to desperate men (almost a decade ago I saw a book advertised through AskMen called "The System" in which you could have for the fair price of $99) who are willing to part with an absurd amount of money to be "successful" with women.

I have had the chance to talk to people who are into that, have read some message board posts and have even had the chance to read a couple articles on techniques and stories. What I have seen I find incredibly shallow, sexist and just lame. The acronyms and lingo are absolutely eye-rolling, and those techniques would only be effective on shallow, unintelligent women. If you're only interested in sex, or a one-night stand, then the techniques might find you success, but on trying to find anybody who is worthwhile, you'll find yourself incredibly disappointing.

Plus, as somebody else has previously noted, can those "techniques" that are taught by PUA "gurus" be properly implemented by people who are naturally socially awkward, shy and naive, or will it simply come across as incredibly fake and rehearsed? Think about all the people who you know that are always getting ladies' attention; do they need to consult some book or read articles on how to do it? They just do because they have that natural persona that leads the ladies in. They are comfortable with themselves, and being secure in who you are is one of the biggest turnons for a woman. When they see a guy who is trying way too hard to be someone other than himself, like a naturally awkward person trying to use PUA techniques, they will sense that from a mile away and be repelled by it.

You don't need a manual or a conference in order to be attractive to women. All you have to do is be comfortable in your own skin. In my case, I am very awkward and sometimes dorky, but I embrace that and even make it a joke, which makes me somebody who is fun to hang out with. And any woman who is worthwhile for a meaningful relationship will not fall for those lame moves. All the women I know who have fallen for those moves are those who are constantly complaining about men and those who just aren't that bright.
I think that sounds about right. I do feel bad for the guys who get sucked into this marketing scheme though, because I understand why they might do it. They didn't organically or naturally develop those skills like the guys you mentioned in your post who would never dream of consulting an article, because it just happens for them. So unsure of where to turn to these peddlers of snake oil appear to save them.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,226,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
Pick Up Artist is the new hot thing in town. Lots of videos, books, seminars etc, in order to teach men how to turn ice cold women into sexual slaves just by using a few techniques.

So I wonder: does this stuff really work? Any male forumite has tried? Any female forumite has been seduced by a PUA?

It's not new.

And no, it doesn't work. At least not on intelligent women with healthy self-esteem.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM

39,331 posts, read 27,714,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
It's not new.

And no, it doesn't work. At least not on intelligent women with healthy self-esteem.
Lilac for president. This lady knows what she is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships