Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 PM

126 posts, read 329,497 times

Advertisements

I have a problem with being too nice and forgiving to the point that I lose the respect of my SO when she behaves in a way she knows she shouldn't. To other people though who do the same thing, I'm a real dick. I don't know how to be in between..

For each of the specific situations listed, what is the correct way to react so that you aren't disrespected, yet you aren't a dick either?

1. Gf gets mad and tries to shame me by demanding, "Take me home!" or pitches a fit in another way by getting mad, and refusing to talk. My reaction is to keep talking to her to try to fix her mood. I guess that's dumb and makes me look needy or whatever..

2. Gf has a habit of basically unintentionally ignoring large chunks of what I'm saying on the phone because she's trying to do other ***** that distracts her or, randomly starts a conversation with a family member. For this one I guess the best reaction is "I'll talk to you later when you're not busy."

3. She'll say something disrespectful or rude (possibly unintentionally bc English is her 2nd language but possibly not).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
let me guess, she makes the excuse that acting like a b*tch is because of her "culture" ?

you react by dumping stupid people and moving on.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:30 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,006,797 times
You be a grown ass man and stand your damn ground.

If she's being disrespectful, you let her know damn well that it's not going to be tolerated.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
1. Give in to her demands. If she wants to be taken home, take her home and don't let her change her mind. If she gets mad, tell her you'll talk to her when she calms down and can behave as an adult. This will not go over well, just as a warning.

2. Say 'You're obviously busy, give me a call when you're free' and then hang up.

3. Tell her calmly why she's being disrespectful and then leave the situation. She sounds like a drama queen and that she loves the attention. Don't give her the satisfaction.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:38 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John12341234 View Post
1. Gf gets mad and tries to shame me by demanding, "Take me home!" or pitches a fit in another way by getting mad, and refusing to talk. My reaction is to keep talking to her to try to fix her mood. I guess that's dumb and makes me look needy or whatever..
Take her home

Quote:
2. Gf has a habit of basically unintentionally ignoring large chunks of what I'm saying on the phone because she's trying to do other ***** that distracts her or, randomly starts a conversation with a family member. For this one I guess the best reaction is "I'll talk to you later when you're not busy."
You got it

Quote:
3. She'll say something disrespectful or rude (possibly unintentionally bc English is her 2nd language but possibly not).
Totally depends on if it's intentional or not. Different things are 'rude' in different cultures.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:39 PM

126 posts, read 329,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
1. Give in to her demands. If she wants to be taken home, take her home and don't let her change her mind. If she gets mad, tell her you'll talk to her when she calms down and can behave as an adult. This will not go over well, just as a warning.

2. Say 'You're obviously busy, give me a call when you're free' and then hang up.

3. Tell her calmly why she's being disrespectful and then leave the situation. She sounds like a drama queen and that she loves the attention. Don't give her the satisfaction.
Makes sense, but here's another question; what do you do when you're taking her on the 20 minute car ride home after doing something like that? You just supposed to sit there in awkward silence with all that tension while the radio plays?

Also, how am I "f#cking up" by being nice to her and trying to talk her down from the immature fit she's in? Is it just simply making me look weak somehow or what?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Makes sense, but here's another question; what do you do when you're taking her on the 20 minute car ride home after doing something like that? You just supposed to sit there in awkward silence with all that tension while the radio plays?
Yep

Quote:
Also, how am I "f#cking up" by being nice to her and trying to talk her down from the immature fit she's in?
By doing it repeatedly instead of breaking up with her.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

Totally depends on if it's intentional or not. Different things are 'rude' in different cultures.

Americans are typically a lot more vulgar than other cultures. Try swearing in front of most latina women.. they'll want to slap you.

The age old culture excuse is the worst excuse in the book. All cultures demand respect, and only the bottom of the barrel people are disrespectful.

Sounds to me like the OP is dealing with a crappy girl and is too desperate and weak to get rid of her.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,961,568 times
Quote:

Also, how am I "f#cking up" by being nice to her and trying to talk her down from the immature fit she's in? Is it just simply making me look weak somehow or what?
Nah.. Make her walk home. That'll give her just enough time to cool off or grow up.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The age old culture excuse is the worst excuse in the book. All cultures demand respect, and only the bottom of the barrel people are disrespectful.
In some cultures looking each other in the eye is disrespectful.
In other cultures it is disrespectful not to look each other in the eye.

Cultural differences are quite real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships