Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:01 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
It was a joke that ladies seem to not like long, strenuous, fast paced walks while on a date.
Well, apparently it would be a boredwalk, for the OP. But there definitely are women out there who could do 4.5 mph for hours without tiring. They just might not come in the type of total package he's dreaming about.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,573,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Pardon, English is not my first language, but thank you for correcting me.

I guess I should have said:

Do people that claim to like long walks lie about liking long walks on the beach?
That's ridiculous. If someone says they like ice cream, that doesn't mean they want a mountain of it. A hike doesn't necessarily mean an all day journey, it could be a couple hours. A walk on the beach means a stroll that involves talking and enjoying the scenery, not an endurance fast-walk.
You do need to join a club of athletes, where people like to challange themselves, physically.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, apparently it would be a boredwalk, for the OP. But there definitely are women out there who could do 4.5 mph for hours without tiring. They just might not come in the type of total package he's dreaming about.
I can easily do that for a few hours...but is he going to be willing to sit with me while I ice my knees afterwards?

I have horrible knees (and a metal pin in my left one) and it's painful enough forcing myself to go to the gym a few days a week. I always feel kinda bad because I've had guys suggest hikes and whatnot as first dates but I have to decline which just makes me look super lazy. I've tried telling them about my knee issues, but that just scares them away and they disappear. It's really no win for me.

I'm crossing my fingers this guy I went out with last week stays in touch because we bonded on hating the gym and only going because we have to.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:16 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,317,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You do need to join a club of athletes, where people like to challange themselves, physically.
You do not have to be an athlete to walk for 4 hours.

The OP just needs to explain what he thinks a long walk on the beach is since his definition differs from the norm.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:23 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,472,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. Unless it's a hiking date, it would be assumed by the lady to be more about enjoying each other's company, talking, getting to know each other, while also enjoying the beach, or the local architecture, or whatever the scenic component was. It would be about the journey itself, not the destination or the cruising speed.
I don't know why, not really the same, but this thread brought memories of a story I saw a few years ago on the animal planet about a couples hiking date. Only posting, because it was called date from hell, the whole walking thing ya know. LOL BTW, nothing wrong with going for long walks, I used to be part of a hiking group, I of course would take the path more traveled, which was for those of us in the group that preferred a shorter walk say no more than 5 miles, hey, give me some credit, I was still trying to do the hikes after getting a shot in the foot for plantar fasciitis, that was some tough terrain. Only reason I didn't stop at the 2.5 mark is anywhere on the trail, the shortest path to get you back was going to be as much as you had walked at the 2.5 mile marker. I never tried to be in the back of the line for fear of being picked off by some wild animal. That's what I get for being an avid animal planet watcher back then.

I Shouldn't Be Alive Date from Hell Part 1 of 6 - YouTube

Old 04-20-2013, 11:58 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,668,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
Yes I was referring to him and yes his wife doesn't run. Neither does the wife of the pastor who is an Iron Man but she goes to all his events to support him. I used to go to my husband's too but with his back problems he hasn't been running in a while.

And didn't Dean also not start running until his late 30's or early 40's after a sort of mid-life crisis. He just started running one night when the stress became too much and didn't stop running until the morning.
Yes, he started running later in life.

I know of several wives of ultra athletes who don't do sports themselves. These are athletes who do it solely to challenge themselves or it's their profession.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:59 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,896,723 times
Walking on the beach in the early morning or late night it fun. A slow stroll as you talk.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:02 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,162,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
It's pretty damn sad that people equate walking for a few hours to participating in the Olympics
It was more of a hyperbolic prod at HurricaneKid because his whole post was all about endurance and epic walks, as opposed to focusing on the romantic side of things.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,235,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
It was more of a hyperbolic prod at HurricaneKid because his whole post was all about endurance and epic walks, as opposed to focusing on the romantic side of things.
That's because we have come to the point where people just can't walk around for some time for some reason....
...For some reason, even walking for an hour on the damn beach can get *some* people cranky.
...Though my wish to take a bike ride does require some athleticism in a date.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:12 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,460,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
require some athleticism in a date.
this is the brunt of your problem, start looking and dating people who are fitness oriented. most people want a walk on the beach to relax, not train for the next ironman

it sounds likes you're looking for cookies in the dishwasher instead of the cookie jar on this one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships