Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,517,640 times

Advertisements

Hurricane, have you heard of that guy that runs cross country all the time and mean across the country as in 100's of miles at a time? My husband has the book the man wrote and he would read it aloud to me at night. He also has a book by another man who did a study on long distance endurance runners all over the world and how all humans were, at one time, actually built to do this very thing. Adaptations over the eons has changed that for some but others like you still have those genes and it probably just feels so natural to you. The book was fascinating. I'll message you the names of those books next week since my husband is visiting his father this weekend in St. Louis.

Anyway like I said in earlier posts, try to find co-ed endurance groups to join and your perfect woman might be in one of them. I can understand you wanting to share your love for endurance sports with your SO. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,690,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I usually don't like walking more than three feet at a time but if you place lasagna at a strategic distance I will walk across continents to get to it.
Me too. Especially the kind with meat and cheese in it.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,842,942 times
A wonderful walk is a cheap date. Once you get older that is all you need to do to stay alive...walk.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:43 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,690,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GINGERSNAP1963 View Post
Hurricane, have you heard of that guy that runs cross country all the time and mean across the country as in 100's of miles at a time?.
Is it Dean Karnazes? ( incidentally he hadnt become a runner yet when he met his wife and she is not a runner but is very supportive of him)

Last edited by srjth; 04-20-2013 at 08:05 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

There is one thing I want to be able to find in a partner and that is someone who enjoys an all day physical activity... Yet I haven't found any woman that really wants to do that...
OP, your post cracks me up because it reminds me of some of the endearing (annoying?) qualities of my hubby. ALL DAY PHYSICAL ACTIVITY is his middle name.

Every time we go to a beach, he looks down the coast and sees some tiny umbrella in the distance (like 10 miles away) and says, "Hey, Let's walk to that beach and check it out." We rarely actually lay out on a beach as he can't sit still. This drives our friends crazy BTW.

On one of our first dates, he wanted to go on a "bike ride," and it turned into an all-day endurance event - 25+ miles through forests and mud and streams. The next day, my shins were covered in cuts and mosquito bites and I could barely walk.

On another date, he asked me to go on a "peaceful" morning cross-country ski outing through the forest. I had not xc skied before. Once again, I was huffing and puffing all day in sub-zero weather for miles - xc skiing is an extreme workout!

We once rented a cabin on a lake and he saw an island in the distance and said, "Let's swim there!" So we spent the afternoon swimming for miles.

He proposed marriage on his surprise 4 day hiking/mountaineering trip up Mt. Rainier. I had never been mountaineering before.

He planned our honeymoon and had us hiking all-day, for a week, in the anaconda and poison-dart frog filled Osa jungle in Costa Rica.

A few hours after I delivered our first baby he pulled me out of bed and told me I needed to walk laps around the hospital with him for an hour to avoid leg blood clots (what??).

He is now in the midst of planning an endurance hiking/skiing trip across the Swiss/French Alps for us - to the Matterhorn.

Did I mention I was not an endurance athlete before I met him? I was not even particularly outdoorsy. I was a city girl. But I am adventurous and competitive enough to keep up with him. And boy has he made my life fun and interesting.

Good luck OP! I hope you find a girl who can keep up with you!

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 04-20-2013 at 08:25 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 AM

51,027 posts, read 36,735,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Ever since I was a kid I knew I was different from others. My legs are built so that they can walk without getting tired for some reason. It doesn't matter who I walk with, women or family, all have complained they were tired when I was enjoying spending time with them and wanted to walk even further rather than turn around and go home.

...I can ride 100 miles on a bike in one day and be able to keep going the next day without a problem. I can walk on the sand in the beach all day and still be actually enjoy the walk at the end of it.

The few women I went on a date with on South Beach wanted to turn around and go back after two hours of walking or take a rest.

Two hours in the sand isn't a "long" a walk. It's barely maybe 8 or 9 miles.

I recently suggested a date that involves biking 30 miles (on a trail, not a road) to a beach spot, and the girl though that it was a bit far.

There is one thing I want to be able to find in a partner and that is someone who enjoys an all day physical activity... Yet I haven't found any woman that really wants to do that...
Saying you like long walks on the beach IMO speaks more to a leisurely stroll holding hands and watching the tide go in and out, not a physically exerting/exercise type walk.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:00 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,943,325 times
Long slow walks on the beach are great. I love the beach so it helps. Putting your feet in the water as you past by. You can get lost in conversation and not realize how far you have walked.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,785,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Long slow walks on the beach are great. I love the beach so it helps. Putting your feet in the water as you past by. You can get lost in conversation and not realize how far you have walked.
Don't step on a jellyfish!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Is it Dean Karnazes? ( incidentally he hadnt become a runner yet when he met his wife and she is not a runner but is very supportive of him)
Yes I was referring to him and yes his wife doesn't run. Neither does the wife of the pastor who is an Iron Man but she goes to all his events to support him. I used to go to my husband's too but with his back problems he hasn't been running in a while.

And didn't Dean also not start running until his late 30's or early 40's after a sort of mid-life crisis. He just started running one night when the stress became too much and didn't stop running until the morning.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
OP, your post cracks me up because it reminds me of some of the endearing (annoying?) qualities of my hubby. ALL DAY PHYSICAL ACTIVITY is his middle name.

Every time we go to a beach, he looks down the coast and sees some tiny umbrella in the distance (like 10 miles away) and says, "Hey, Let's walk to that beach and check it out." We rarely actually lay out on a beach as he can't sit still. This drives our friends crazy BTW.

On one of our first dates, he wanted to go on a "bike ride," and it turned into an all-day endurance event - 25+ miles through forests and mud and streams. The next day, my shins were covered in cuts and mosquito bites and I could barely walk.

On another date, he asked me to go on a "peaceful" morning cross-country ski outing through the forest. I had not xc skied before. Once again, I was huffing and puffing all day in sub-zero weather for miles - xc skiing is an extreme workout!

We once rented a cabin on a lake and he saw an island in the distance and said, "Let's swim there!" So we spent the afternoon swimming for miles.

He proposed marriage on his surprise 4 day hiking/mountaineering trip up Mt. Rainier. I had never been mountaineering before.

He planned our honeymoon and had us hiking all-day, for a week, in the anaconda and poison-dart frog filled Osa jungle in Costa Rica.

A few hours after I delivered our first baby he pulled me out of bed and told me I needed to walk laps around the hospital with him for an hour to avoid leg blood clots (what??).

He is now in the midst of planning an endurance hiking/skiing trip across the Swiss/French Alps for us - to the Matterhorn.

Did I mention I was not an endurance athlete before I met him? I was not even particularly outdoorsy. I was a city girl. But I am adventurous and competitive enough to keep up with him. And boy has he made my life fun and interesting.

Good luck OP! I hope you find a girl who can keep up with you!
Wow that does sound like a lot of fun, except the anaconda, poison-dart frog filled jungle in Costa Rica. I'm not sure I would have been too into that one, though I would have tried.

My husband planned a lot of outdoorsy stuff on our honeymoon too. I hadn't been thinking one morning and slipped my sandals on when we were going to do a trek up some hills. OH, the pain from that. I didn't realize they were muddy hills. I kept slipping back down the hill and my feet were constantly getting stuck in the mud too. I may as well have been wearing suction cups on my feet, with each step you could hear loud slurp, splat, slurp splat. My husband was like, "ok where to next?" after our trek but I had worked twice or three times as hard as he had going up the hills due to my poor choice of footwear so I was exhausted. Plus I was covered in mud from my feet to the top of my head from slipping in it so much, I wasn't about to go "out" to dinner looking like that. I probably resembled Pig Pen from the Charlie Brown comic strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships