Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:54 PM

510 posts, read 1,442,885 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female in my mid 20s living in NYC. Meeting random people to date here is hard, and I absolutely hate the whole internet dating thing- I've tried it, but have been wildly unsuccessful at meeting quality people. Has anyone ever tried speed dating? I'm thinking about giving it a shot but am skeptical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
I like to try it for fun. I can't imagine finding someone though.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 PM

286 posts, read 417,640 times
I've tried it a couple of times and have met some really great guys. In fact, I'm going again in May.

Even though none of my dates have turned into relationships, it's still a fun night out, and why have you got to lose?

I highly recommend 8minutedating.com. I know they have numerous events in NYC.

Please forgive any typos, I am on my phone.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I tried it once many years ago when it was first getting popular. It was just ... weird. And i'm cool with strange situations, but speed dating is just very forced and unnatural. The age range was very broad and I was at the youngest end of the spectrum. I remember one guy who I sat down with just smiled at me very kindly and said "you are lovely but you are way too young for me." In retrospect, that was the one guy who would have been worthwhile in that whole bunch.

I'm sure it's changed and that they know how to hone the demographics for the event, but it's just not for me.

It may very well be worht it since you are living in NYC though - my friends who live there say it is a BRUTAL dating scene there!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Speed dating seems whack to me. I feel the same way about online dating. Actually I feel like online dating is just a massive fail.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,493 times
What would really be fun is speed dating where everyone is on speed! ...Or at least "5 hour energy." It could be "warp-speed dating"!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
It would be fun to make the others move when the bell rings so you could talk more to the guy that you like.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM

510 posts, read 1,442,885 times
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to give it a go. I found a speed dating website that lets you choose exactly what type of people you want to meet- they have it so specific it's crazy. Like limited by age/profession/educational status etc. I guess the worst thing that could happen is I have a weird story to tell afterwards.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 PM

727 posts, read 1,532,920 times
Nobody hosts speed dating events in my area for some reason, though I'd try it for the experience. I've thought about getting a speed dating franchise; I bet I could clean up.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 PM

273 posts, read 531,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
I'm a single female in my mid 20s living in NYC. Meeting random people to date here is hard, and I absolutely hate the whole internet dating thing- I've tried it, but have been wildly unsuccessful at meeting quality people. Has anyone ever tried speed dating? I'm thinking about giving it a shot but am skeptical.
I have and it was a terrible experience. One good thing about it was the fact that I had a free coupon for that one time and so didn't have to pay for the event itself. This happened in Boston last year, and I met close to 8 women(I believe) that night. Except for 2 of them, none of them were women I was interested in the least. 4 of them were older than me and they made it pretty clear in the first few seconds itself that they were looking for older men, 2 women were pretty but told me in clear terms that they were Eastern European and so would never consider someone of my ethnicity(I am Indian) and so they were very cold and distant even in those few minutes. 2 of them were nice and all that but for some reason they didn't want to meet me again. All in all I thought it was a disaster and decided to never try speed dating, I never tried it after that experience.

A large unusual number of the ladies in the speed dating event I went to were Eastern European, I don't know if it's because of the fact that it's in Boston but that's what I observed. It's a known fact that Eastern European people are in general against Asian men and consider them inferior(as told to me by some Eastern European friends). Anyway, once bitten twice shy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships