Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:46 PM

324 posts, read 441,200 times

Advertisements

you know how that saying goes.
do you guys believe it? also I would like you guys to share personal experiences.
were you at cheater ? did you get cheated on?
What is your thought .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 02:59 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Blanket statements rarely describe a group accurately. My thoughts are that it really depends upon why that particular person cheated, how old they were etc. If someone you are interested in disclosed that they cheated on someone else-- then its something you should certainly discuss.

If they evade the question, give some unsatisfactory quick answer and change the subject, get angry that you asked or otherwise try to lead you away from the question -- then there is a good chance they have not dealt with the issue and will probably cheat on you.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:07 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Once a cheate, always a cheater seems to be as accurate as they come. There are rare exceptions, where a person cheats once and never again, but I woul dnever advise counting on it. What is more astounding, is how many people sleep with someone who is in a relationship, enabling them to cheat, yet expect loyalty from the cheater in their future together. Yeah, right...lol

Old 04-25-2013, 03:11 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
It depends. There are serial cheaters and there are one time cheaters. There are those who are overcome with guilt and there are those that feel no guilt whatsoever.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:13 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Never cheated or been cheated on, but I believe the majority of cases this is true. There are exceptions of course.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:14 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
It's not always true, there are people who cheat and immediately regret it and never does it again.

As a guy who was cheated on before, once she cheats on me, I want absolutely nothing to do with her, ever. Even if she regrets doing it, I can no longer trust you, and that is what breaks the relationship.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
There are a lot of threads on this exact topic...

My take is that trust is broken, and even if you never do it again, the person you did it to once has every right to proceed as if you would absolutely do it again. Something about making one's bed and lying in it...

Nobody with any self-respect wants to take a chance on somebody being that occasional exception to the rule. The bottom line is that your actions speak to your integrity, and once you've damaged it, you've damaged it. Trying to predict people's behavior is always iffy, but past behavior is statistically a VERY good indication of future behavior. Behavior that is reinforced is behavior that gets repeated, and there's not much that's more reinforcing to a cheater than successfully cheating. Add in, too, that most people who cheat do so for the rush and the excitement of it, and that endorphin rush is VERY reinforcing...odds lie heavily on the side of repeat behavior when the payoff is so reinforcing.

Ultimately, it really doesn't MATTER if you will never do it again, if you're a cheater. The reality is that you will be perceived as a cheater, and one who could do it again, whether or not you consider this to be fair. It's just one of those cases where the perception is what's really going to matter. Think of it like another potentially unfair blanket statement...convicted felons are likely to be repeat offenders. Are most people going to date, marry, hire, etc. a convicted felon who has done the crime, done the time, and vows he or she won't do it again? Maybe the person never steps one toe astray again in his or her life...but the past behavior is there and will always affect perception.

People CAN change. Only thing is, most often, they don't.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
we've had this debate SO many times.
I think it's a blanket statement that serves no purpose.

My father? He will always cheat. Because it's what he wants to do, and he has no concept of remorse.

But I've met plenty of cheaters who did it once and will never do so again. Some were even serial cheaters who turned around. The main deciding factor is whether the cheating is situational or if it is pathological.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:57 PM

324 posts, read 441,200 times
I'm so sorry. For the continues thread that is beat to death

But in my particular case , I felt a like need to start out with a general question before I can state my original intention for this thread

Just see what you folks have to say about this topic

Old 04-25-2013, 03:59 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Yep and cheaters are low class. There are a couple of known cheaters here who have admitted cheating on spouses and they are low class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships