Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can men and women be real friends?
Yes 43 75.44%
No 14 24.56%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,945 times

Advertisements

Men are willing to make friends with unattractive women who are very nice and friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,312,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I agree but I also think it's inappropriate for a man and woman who are relatively close in age to say..........go out to dinner with each other. Group functions and events where one or both peoples SO are there is ok IMO. A man or woman going out with a member of the opposite sex in a one on one situation is inappropriate.
I'm glad that your opinion has no bearing on the way that I live my life.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:00 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Being friends has nothing at all to do with sex, it has everything to do with who the person is. Amazingly enough NOT EVERYONE is after everyone else for sex or starts out have a sexual attraction to another human.

Do you find it hard to make friends? Are you always sexually attracted to someone and then tell them "no" but we can be friends? This is one of the more confusing posts I've seen so far.

Maybe I'm just too old and like the old fashioned way of dating, mating and finding friends.
I have sadly found that most men (or should i say all?) have wanted to sleep with me before or after being friends. Most of them found a "no" answer and moved on. Apparently most men function like this, women do not, thats for sure. But men seem to wanna hit everything that moves, for starters, and then go from there.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM

845 posts, read 1,349,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I disagree. I retired five years ago. A female employee and I have kept in touch ever since. She enjoyed my "easy" management style and I got a kick out of her energy intelligence, dedication and passion and mentored her while I was still wolrking. She's a wonderful person who also happens to be 20 years younger than I am and single. Worst of all , she's a female. We enjoy "chatting" with one another via email and very occasional phone calls (my wife and I moved 2,000 miles away). Until we moved, she and I would meet for coffee one morning each week. We each consider one another to be a good friend. That's all we'll ever be.
A few comments I bolded, just so you can see what point your missing.
1. She's 20 years younger but single,
2. Your married
3. You chat only by phone/email.
4. Your married

I could be friends with females, if I checked these same items. Truth is, I'm single. So having female friends doesn't help at all. I couldn't set aside feelings of a non-SO, AKA just friends. If she was a jerk or worse, then perhaps we could be friends.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I agree but I also think it's inappropriate for a man and woman who are relatively close in age to say..........go out to dinner with each other. Group functions and events where one or both peoples SO are there is ok IMO. A man or woman going out with a member of the opposite sex in a one on one situation is inappropriate.
Interesting. My best friend and I (a male) used to go out for dinner/drinks/lunch etc. all the time when I lived in CA. Oh, and his girlfriend lives in NYC and didn't care at all that we went out alone.

I guess if you have zero self control it would be a problem...but luckily both my friend and I are adults and behave accordingly.

Well...some of the time. There was a tequila induced ocean swim race once between us, but that's a whole different story

Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,650 times
My boyfriend and I are in a distance relationship and have opposite sex friends. It doesn't bother either of us. Sometimes I'll grab a drink or lunch with one of them. Said friends respect my relationship and never make me feel uncomfortable.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:32 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I have sadly found that most men (or should i say all?) have wanted to sleep with me before or after being friends. Most of them found a "no" answer and moved on. Apparently most men function like this, women do not, thats for sure. But men seem to wanna hit everything that moves, for starters, and then go from there.
Yes, that's what I've found. And I'm assuming "friends" in this thread means platonic. Now I do believe it is possible to have a "friend with benefit" arrangement without a serious relationship. I just have not been able to have a successful longterm, platonic heterosexual friendship without physical attraction changing the dynamic and someone crossing a boundary. This is why I stick to girlfriends or gay male friends. But others seem to be able to have successful opposite sex friendships.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
is that wrong???
is that frowned upon??
the last place i worked we were hittin all over the place

Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
is that wrong???
is that frowned upon??
the last place i worked we were hittin all over the place
No, it's not wrong or sad. It's just life. I have no desire for a close male friend and never had much luck finding one anyway. I prefer my spouse/lover/partner to also be my best male friend.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
Of course it is possible but it doesn't always work. If either party has feelings for the other then the friendship will be very hard to make work. I've dealt with this personally in the last year with a female friend who I am attracted to (I think the feelings are mutual but that's another topic). Anyways, I've tried being "just friends" but it is hard because we both tip-toe around the obvious elephant in the room which is I have feelings for her. I go back and forth on whether to try to make the friendship work because I do value having her in my life, but it's a very difficult situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships