Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:40 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I am not saying I am looking for women like that, I am just saying they're out there in droves. They grew up in the burbs, love the burb life and think burb life is the epitome of the American dream.

Yes that life is hell. I grew up in the burbs too and it was too much to take. I would prefer either a home out in a small secluded town in CA next to the beach away from it all AND a cool loft/condo/penthouse/townhome in the middle of the big city.
I would have preferred the burbs to being moved 16 times in 18 years, only including places I lived in for at least 3 months. That was hell. I would have been happy to always be able to speak the same language as my classmates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
The first question is, "why are you in a non-profit?" LOL.

I know I am not in a non profit but in a field that offers a service that may seem like it might as well be not for profit. It's strange because I make a good decent living but because I do not choose to live in a house yet, my family as well as my wife's family think it's a little strange that we're almost 30 and have no home. Yet, her sisters are stuck with kids, a house payment and all the other expenses of family life. They live that "life is tough, but I wouldn't trade it for the world" type of life. They think we're being "selfish" for not giving up our lives for a child and settling down in a home and building roots. We think they're strange for doing all that to maintain the "dream" and they think we're strange for being so "bohemian". LOL.

The house thing in America is almost like a dividing line between different outlooks.

Because you take jobs to survive and keep a roof over your head. Hopefully I can stay OUT of non-profit forever

Old 05-24-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Yes you can. My friend has worked in non-profit for 7 years and she's financially secure and has a townhouse in a nice part of town.

Maybe some non-profits are less stable than others just as some businesses are more stable than others. But I wouldn't presume that someone working for a non-profit is financially insecure.

I have no more interest in non-profit after being laid off 4 times in 2 years

Old 05-24-2013, 06:10 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,988 times
Quote:
times are changing and many women are moving away from that traditional mindset their parents had about living in a house with some land and commuting several miles into town for work.

My wife grew up in a very southern traditionalist family where if you weren't in a house with some land out in the country or in a white flight neighborhood by 25 then you were wasting your time.

To actually live in the city in a nice townhome or apartment like they do in the movies was seen as "rebelling". The true spirit according to them was living a country life and having a pick up that used more for recreational driving than actually for it's intended purpose.

So there are a lot of girls like that but they're not in the majority and my wife was one of those "rebelling".

I think it's split three ways with a little more than half wanting to live the city life in a nice walkable area, another third wishing to live in the country and the last in the burbs in some nice master planned community with the white tahoe and the limestone house.
We would prefer city. We planned and prepared our finances for two kids. We got a spare. So we're in an old suburb in a three bedroom house. We have options. My husband has dual American citizenship and could make a lot more money over there. We could be closer to some of his family. But we prefer minimalist. We're car free and bike most places. Our only debt is our mortgage and we went with something we'll have paid off early. My husband's family in Canada get it. His family and friends in the US... not so much. They've let us know that we're crazy. But they started to think I was crazy when I had a midwife with my firstborn.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
What difference does it make what I'm moving into? You don't see how that question is stupid and materialistic?

How do you date? If you believe questions are stupid?
I don't think that question is stupid or materialistic. personally i may have asked this same question so I wouldn't sound like I was putting you down by asking "Why are you moving? Did you get evicted? Why would you move into ANOTHER apartment? You really were still living with your mom?"

And from a females perspective *mischievous grin*... By asking something as basic as this lets US know what type of "fun" we can have without disturbing a roommate, your mom, or your neighbors..

Old 05-24-2013, 06:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
What difference does it make what I'm moving into? You don't see how that question is stupid and materialistic?
I don't.

[it's a simple question]

Old 05-24-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
How do you date? If you believe questions are stupid?
I don't think that question is stupid or materialistic. personally i may have asked this same question so I wouldn't sound like I was putting you down by asking "Why are you moving? Did you get evicted? Why would you move into ANOTHER apartment? You really were still living with your mom?"

And from a females perspective *mischievous grin*... By asking something as basic as this lets US know what type of "fun" we can have without disturbing a roommate, your mom, or your neighbors..

Why would someone asking something retarded like that during a 1st conversation? AT that point it's none of her business why I;m moving.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:11 PM

52,288 posts, read 52,723,379 times
TVSG.... you are one strange cat.... the things you chose to get up in arms about... LOL... life is full of shyt and difficulties and the things you rail about.. LOL... you're setting yourself up for a seriously misery filled life if you chose to keep getting bothered about the stuff you're getting bothered about..

Old 05-24-2013, 08:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
TVSG.... you are one strange cat.... the things you chose to get up in arms about... LOL... life is full of shyt and difficulties and the things you rail about.. LOL... you're setting yourself up for a seriously misery filled life if you chose to keep getting bothered about the stuff you're getting bothered about..
Enuff said, lol - close the thread already

Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The very reason the internet was invented...

boredom.

And cats. Can't forget cats.

Songify This - CAN'T HUG EVERY CAT (now on iTunes) -- a song about loving cats - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships