Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 06:37 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,385,594 times

Advertisements

Also, my student loans are well worth it I think. Making well over 100k at 25 is worth having 35k in student loans. Amusing that I don't even have my bachelors but "should" be graduating with my associates this summer, which should help me out even a bit more. I could have been smarter with my college as it took a bit to decide what I wanted to do. I also worked as a CNA at nursing homes through college assisting the elderly and working in alzheimer units so it's not like I just cruised through. I was giving showers and changing diapers. Something a LOT of young males would never do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 AM

245 posts, read 318,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
You should be ok on a $150 a month on food.

Protein can be a attained from meat and seafood.

Vitamins are cheap.

$50 a month? Really? I pay $49 a year, that is right per year.
$150 a month??? What the hell do you eat?

Cheap vitamins are cheap. It's one of those 'you get what you pay for' type things. Not everything is bioavailable.

And what kind of gym is $49 a year? Even a ****hole like PF where you're not allowed to really lift is more than twice that.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsness View Post
$150 a month??? What the hell do you eat?

Cheap vitamins are cheap. It's one of those 'you get what you pay for' type things. Not everything is bioavailable.

And what kind of gym is $49 a year? Even a ****hole like PF where you're not allowed to really lift is more than twice that.
Then for the amount of food I eat I also take fish oils, digestive enzymes, probiotics, etc...

Hell ive managed to save 12k in my savings account the last 2.5 months. Im STILL saying living of 30k a year SUCKS.

Never said it isnt possible. Still saying you're going to live life as a cheapass like info guy not even buying gifts for his family on holidays.....

You can have a bit more money in the bank. I'll enjoy some things in life that actually cost a little.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:32 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,516,531 times
Yea, well I know how to manage my money and be frugal. Why are you even financing a car?

When I was in Student Apartments, we had a 2 bedroom home with 4 people in it. I don't see anything wrong with it to save money for the future. I am a South Asian. Do you know that most South Asian family live together. You should know. You live in Houston.

You need to sacrifice something to gain something.

No bunk bed though. I could be going to her home. We aren't talking living like this for long-term. Just for a few years until the savings and investments are solid than let the money work for you.

The train is suppose to get extended from downtown. I see Buses everywhere. If you live in a suburb than you probably need a vehicle.

Is your vehicle for business use?

You may call it selfish but an individual needs to take care of him/herself before others.

Why do you need a gift? Why do they need a gift? Sounds materialistic to me. It is just temporary happiness.

I am 5'8.5" 160 lbs and I hit the gym 4X a week and eat healthy.

I barely make over $100K but I am very frugal because I come from a very poor family. Old habits will not go away. Sometimes I haggle over a few pennies. I am not into the show off lifestyle that most people are for.

I am 35 years old and on a pace to retire at age 45 with enough money to last me a lifetime and donate. I do have fun here and there but nothing lavishing plus my work is a hobby anyway that pays.

Man, that is a lot of protein. I get about the same protein as my weight everyday.

I have a couple FB/FWB. I would like a g/f but that is the last thing on my list. I am always busy with work so I don't have much time.

[quote=houstan-dan;29939131][quote=Info Guy;29938101]Houston does have good transportation. You could be living in a nice 2 bedroom apartment in Sugar Land with 4 people splitting expenses. That is a huge savings there.

Not everyone has a student loan. Other's actually worked full-time and went to school full-time. I mentioned that my under grad was reimbursed from my employer.

If you did not pay 100% cash for that truck than you can't afford it. I pay 100% cash for my vehicles and drive for years and maintain it well.

Most healthy food is cooked so if you are eating at home than you saving money on food.

$500-600 is ridiculous dude.

You should be ok on a $150 a month on food.

Protein can be a attained from meat and seafood.

Vitamins are cheap.

$50 a month? Really? I pay $49 a year, that is right per year.

16 mpg? Lol. My car gives me around 35 Mpg and most of my miles are highway miles. I spend less than $100 a month on gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post

Dude, you are a joke.

I practically stopped reading when you said you could have 4 people living in a two bedroom apartment. Are you actually serious? You call that "normal" standard of living? I said live "comfortably" not live somewhere that the dude in the lower bunk is gonna complain every time you want to bang your girlfriend.

I did have a roommate for about 2.5 years after college, however. Granted a two bedroom ran 950-1300 in the 3 separate places we lived.

Also, you are seriously saying that Houston has good public transit? Do I need to stary a thread in the houston section? Its constantly preached by all the life long houstonians that you need a vehicle.

As for gas mileage, did you miss the part that I live in a 5th wheel trailer? You are not going to find something that gets 32mpg and can tow a 15,500 lb trailer. My f250 is the best gas mileafe vehicle I could find capable of towing it. Realistically I should have bought an f350. But I didnt want to sacrifice more mpg. I do contract work and move several times a year. I calculated the costs between leases and moving and those fees with buying a truck and trailer and it worked out better this way.

And for family gifts, I woukd starve before not getting my family gifts. Honestly your attitude about it is beyond selfish.

As for groceries, you truly have no clue so just stop. I am 5'10 and 210 lbs with single digit body fat. I eat 5-6 meals a day and aim for roughly 400+ grams of protein and 500+ grams of carbs. One lb of chicken has 100 grams of protein for reference. I cannot eat four lbs a day. I eat roughly 1.5lbs then get the rest from egg white drinks and protein shakes. As for my carb sources they vary in relation to my workouts and time of day whether I need simple or complex carbs. Also, because I eat so much, its impossible for me to personally choke down crap quality or tasting food, so I mix it up how it's cooked.

Out of curiosity, do you make 100k now? And youre continuing this lifestyle saving 70k+ a year?

Do you have a girlfriend, hows she feel about having 4 guys in a 2 bedroom, in terms of privacy. Ive dated tons of really cool girls but I can't see many of them being too enthused about me making over 100k a year, yet have bunk beds with another adult man... and yes, ive done that before, my college dorms were 5 guys in a two bedroom.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Also, my student loans are well worth it I think. Making well over 100k at 25 is worth having 35k in student loans. Amusing that I don't even have my bachelors but "should" be graduating with my associates this summer, which should help me out even a bit more. I could have been smarter with my college as it took a bit to decide what I wanted to do. I also worked as a CNA at nursing homes through college assisting the elderly and working in alzheimer units so it's not like I just cruised through. I was giving showers and changing diapers. Something a LOT of young males would never do.

Yea, you are doing very well making $100K at age 25 with just $35K. You should be able to clear this loan in less than 6 months.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Then for the amount of food I eat I also take fish oils, digestive enzymes, probiotics, etc...

Hell ive managed to save 12k in my savings account the last 2.5 months. Im STILL saying living of 30k a year SUCKS.

Never said it isnt possible. Still saying you're going to live life as a cheapass like info guy not even buying gifts for his family on holidays.....

You can have a bit more money in the bank. I'll enjoy some things in life that actually cost a little.

Your BF% is 9% or below? You should have a solid six pack at 210 lbs. Impressive.
Fish Oil is cheap from Walmart.

If you have 12K in 2.5 months but you are financing a car, why?

Wait, you are making over $100K and living off $30K a year? Are you talking about me or you?
I take care of my mother. Isn't that a good enough gift? Something most people won't do and throw them in nursery homes.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Yea, you are doing very well making $100K at age 25 with just $35K. You should be able to clear this loan in less than 6 months.
Im getting there. My goal is to have it paid off this year.

Quote:
Your BF% is 9% or below? You should have a solid six pack at 210 lbs. Impressive.
Fish Oil is cheap from Walmart.

If you have 12K in 2.5 months but you are financing a car, why?

Wait, you are making over $100K and living off $30K a year? Are you talking about me or you?
I take care of my mother. Isn't that a good enough gift? Something most people won't do and throw them in nursery homes.
Yeah I have a very visible four pack. Genetically I'm unsure if I have 6. Everyone is different, some have 4, 6, or 8. If I eat what I want and dont exercise ill be about 165-170. So its a LOT of work to keep all the weight on. Its not necessary and is a luxury, but it is a hobby of mine and my gf lifts with me so it's something we can do together relatively inexpensive.

Yes, taking care of your mother is very nice of you. I would probably do the same if necessary as it would take a lot of sacrifice and moving back to Iowa where I would have a hard time finding comparable work. Actually the small town I'm from I would be lucky to make 1/3rd.

And yes I did finance my truck. My only debt is my truck, trailer, and student loans. I could have saved a lot on the truck and trailer bit I have had terrible luck with a used vehicle last year, I decided to go new with the intent of keeping them for 10+ years. With how my work is set up missing half days here and there to deal with maintenance issues was not worth it. I make enough to cover my truck payment with 2 days of work and my trailer payment with one day.

Honestly I admire your position and being able to live off that. Im just saying that someone going from 30k to 100k and saving the entire 70k a year is stretching it a bit. Most people would really struggle off 30k per year and forget traveling much, having your transmission go out, surgeries, etc.

When I made 50k I could work well with that. Bringing it down too much less and it would really cut into things I do enjoy.

I look forward to being debt free and am working on it. I do like to still enjoy myself a bit.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,994,200 times
Quote:

Yeah I have a very visible four pack. Genetically I'm unsure if I have 6. Everyone is different, some have 4, 6, or 8. If I eat what I want and dont exercise ill be about 165-170. So its a LOT of work to keep all the weight on. Its not necessary and is a luxury, but it is a hobby of mine and my gf lifts with me so it's something we can do together relatively inexpensive.

Yes, taking care of your mother is very nice of you. I would probably do the same if necessary as it would take a lot of sacrifice and moving back to Iowa where I would have a hard time finding comparable work. Actually the small town I'm from I would be lucky to make 1/3rd.

And yes I did finance my truck. My only debt is my truck, trailer, and student loans. I could have saved a lot on the truck and trailer bit I have had terrible luck with a used vehicle last year, I decided to go new with the intent of keeping them for 10+ years. With how my work is set up missing half days here and there to deal with maintenance issues was not worth it. I make enough to cover my truck payment with 2 days of work and my trailer payment with one day.

Honestly I admire your position and being able to live off that. Im just saying that someone going from 30k to 100k and saving the entire 70k a year is stretching it a bit. Most people would really struggle off 30k per year and forget traveling much, having your transmission go out, surgeries, etc.

When I made 50k I could work well with that. Bringing it down too much less and it would really cut into things I do enjoy.

I look forward to being debt free and am working on it. I do like to still enjoy myself a bit.

Living off 30k a yer is tough, won't pull many babes like that....

To get the post back on track and save it from becoming a poor Man's Suzie Orman diatribe, you have to make enough to provide the lifestyle that the woman wants.

It is highly unrealistic to save 70% of one's income below a certain amount.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,926,509 times
Quote:
I speak from my own experience.
Fair enough. Just saying yours isn't most people's.

Quote:
Maybe that is why they are broke also.
Meh, not really.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:01 PM

Genetically. I have 6 big ones and 2 very small from the top.

Why would you finance a truck and if you have the cash?

The 70K a year is put into investments and I already have an emergency fund with 6+ months of rainy day fund.

I am not settling for anything less than $2 Million in Assets at retirement.

If there are car repairs than that is where the emergency fund kicks in.

Health is covered by Health Insurance.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships