Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 12:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times

Advertisements

Again, a rose by any other name is still just a rose.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:47 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,215,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Yes...more than half my friends, I think.

::counts on fingers, gives up::

I don't actually know any swingers. That's a very different culture, although some people are both. Poly is typically a woman with two husbands, and/or a man with two wives, and/or a bi person with one of each. But some poly married people also swing or date casually. Confusing, much? .
The terms:
Polyfidelity: Your poly examples would be classified as polyFI, aka polyfidelity, a closed group of more than 2 but no more open to additions. These relationships are sometimes defined by primary and secondary relationships particularly when they originate from the opening up of an existing relationship such as a married couple.

Polyamory: Open to multiple loves, including additions to the group and partnerships that are not shared within the group.

Open: Unattached sexual relationships outside of the primary relationship in which the other partner does not participate.

Swinging: Sexual relationships in which the primary partnership is together for the majority.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, a rose by any other name is still just a rose.

I am not sure what you mean by that. If you intend to define for other people what marriage means, have at it. It has exactly zero impact on them. But if it makes you feel better...

Old 06-08-2013, 03:08 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,011,630 times
@somebodynew:

My experience is that a large percentage of discussion in poly forums and poly groups concerns how to define the terms you list. Everybody has a different interpretation .

@lovesMountains:

So including god is optional, but including another human is not? What about Jesus? Jesus of Nazareth, or Jesus Hernandez?

More seriously:

Some people I know belong to religions where having more than one spouse is normal and ok. Their god approves. Actually, that might be true for most poly people I know. None of them are mormons or muslim, but there are a lot of religions that allow for poly.

I guess if you like, you could make up a different name for a group of three I know who have been together 15 years, have two children and a mortgage together, and legal paperwork that gives them inheritance rights and alimony if they break up and health insurance and child custody and all that stuff.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
@somebodynew:

My experience is that a large percentage of discussion in poly forums and poly groups concerns how to define the terms you list. Everybody has a different interpretation .
As soon as I clicked submit, I thought, that explanation blows. As you say, even among those of us who call ourselves poly, or have previously been swingers, what those things mean varies wildly among people. But I gave a stab.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:12 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,816,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
As soon as I clicked submit, I thought, that explanation blows. As you say, even among those of us who call ourselves poly, or have previously been swingers, what those things mean varies wildly among people. But I gave a stab.
I tried to make sense of it before. I just put it all under one heading. Polyamorous and call it a day.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I tried to make sense of it before. I just put it all under one heading. Polyamorous and call it a day.

Well there is a reason that we folk argue the meanings. Clear meanings make for clear conversations. If you want a banner term, I like this author's

Opening Up: A Guide to Creating and Sustaining Open Relationships: Tristan Taormino: 9781573442954: Amazon.com: Books

use of "responsible non-monogamy". But I definitely don't think polyamorous is a good banner term At All. The word root AMORY is very specifically about love. When you say that the swinging community is different, you would be quite right. It is about friendly, cheerful, honest sex. It is not about love at all unless you are a chump like we are and fall in love with your partners! When people on this board talk about "open marriage", it is hard to know what they are talking about, though it seems not being able to keep your hands to yourself is all they get about the operative motive.

Polyamory is a great banner term for the love focused subsets like poly-fi, group marriage and the like. But it pretty much does not cover swinging or open at all.

My two cents about being anal with language.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:25 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,804,592 times
The only real difference between animals and human beings is about ability to have "Moral choices" If you wanna let your animal and biological instincts take over from what it means to be a human being, your basically nothing more then a clothed animal.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:29 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,943,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
The only real difference between animals and human beings is about ability to have "Moral choices" If you wanna let your animal and biological instincts take over from what it means to be a human being, your basically nothing more then a clothed animal.
I'm more of a manatee.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:33 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,816,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post

God, I love your positivity about people who choose to live differently from yourself. LOL! It's uplifting, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships