Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
It is time for a divorce when every thing they do bothers you. They way they walk, talk, eat, dress, the large pores on his nose, their breathing, etc. All the things you loved about them in the beginning start to irritate you to no end and all the things that you ignored in the beginning like the fact the they are a bit arrogant, selfish and cheap comes glaring at you with blinking lights!

cheating would certainly be a deal-breaker. Abuse (physical OR psychological) It is sad though my gf in NY is married to an abuser- and stays with him- he has done a number on her self-esteem- told her she will amount to nothing, etc.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 05:20 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Very, very good question! For some people/couples it doesn't take years to figure out "this just isn't working", but for others it can take entirely tooooooo long.
What does it take before it is "finally" time to call it quits? What do you do when your spouse refuses to get help (marriage counceling)? What happens when your spouse spends a lot of hours at work and he/she doesn't have to? What happens when your spouse likes being married, but also wants to "act" single?
Just when is "enough is enough"????
I'll borrow a line from The War Of The Roses....."I HATE WHEN YOU BREATH", that would pretty much sum it up for me!

Old 04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,160 times
Quote:
So, it is ok if your husband physically and/or mentally abuse you........ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY NUTS???????? Why would any woman want to put up with that or put their kids through that?
Is it okay? No, never. I'm not nuts... not even slightly. I don't think anyone would want to put up with that or put their kids through that. I don't think an abused person should stay in the same home as the abuser, but to me, a divorce isn't an option. I made a promise to my husband and to God that I will stand by him in whatever state we are in. I guess I honestly don't understand how it's a marriage if I would leave when it got tough. I can see why a person who has a spouse that's cheated on them with no intention of stopping would leave, but I don't know that I would be the one to file for divorce in the situation. But, I wouldn't think someone who has different values would follow my own!

I can't imagine the pain a person feels when their spouse cheats or hurts them. I don't in any way belittle that sorrow.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,318 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
isn't his son your son?
I'm sorry to hear that you did suffer from abuse...maybe you should make the decision earlier?
God blesses you.
He had three sons with his other marriage, I only have a daughter with him, and that is it. Thanks for asking. Yorkie

Old 04-21-2007, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 16,754 times
Default I cannot recommend this book enough.

Would you like a recipe, a step-by-step guide to help you break through the confusion and fear? Would you like to know the right words to say and when to say them so that they have the maximum impact? Do you want to find a way to stay connected, yet not push him away?

Old 04-21-2007, 09:56 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I don't think an abused person should stay in the same home as the abuser, but to me, a divorce isn't an option... I guess I honestly don't understand how it's a marriage if I would leave when it got tough.
IMO, an abuser forfeits the marriage right there, just as the cheater. Just making it legal with the divorce, that's all. And God's not about "legal", but more for how we treat each other (If folks are worried about their faith.) :>) JMO.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Thumbs down Why is it---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambamboo View Post
Would you like a recipe, a step-by-step guide to help you break through the confusion and fear? Would you like to know the right words to say and when to say them so that they have the maximum impact? Do you want to find a way to stay connected, yet not push him away?
These books assume the WIFE pushed him away- what about him doing some work to improve. IMO I am sick of these bs self-help books geared only to women.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
What about outrageous spending -- say the spouse is spending the family's money on cocaine, or alcohol and driving the family into poverty?

Financially it can be necessary to divorce at least legally. Marriage vows include something about loving the other -- and someone cheating, abusing or addicted is not loving the other. Only a masochist stays in an abusive or cheating relationship.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:33 PM

Exclamation a given-

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What about outrageous spending -- say the spouse is spending the family's money on cocaine, or alcohol and driving the family into poverty?

Financially it can be necessary to divorce at least legally. Marriage vows include something about loving the other -- and someone cheating, abusing or addicted is not loving the other. Only a masochist stays in an abusive or cheating relationship.
cocaine- thats an automatic deal-breaker for me. My SIL stayed married to a loser for 18 years. He is 50 and has been in rehab- and his mother still acts like he does nothing wrong.

Excessive drinking is also a deal-breaker. Our society is just sick- so many of the books written by proclaimed counselors fault the wife - like saving the marriage is all on the female. Its ridiculous. Religious or not, putting up with abuse is wrong, and destructive.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,161 times
I am contemplating divorce. My husband and I have been together for several years but have only been married for 2 years now. Things that were present when we were dating have only gotten worse now. I am very Christian and I have been taught against this...I'm not sure I'm completely ready to leave but my husband is an alcoholic and I am often alone. I come home to Friday nights alone and he always has time for everyone else except for me. He is emotionally unavailable. The time we do spend together is actually working or him drinking and I am not getting what I need from our marriage. I am very sad and lonely. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,

K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships