Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:12 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times

Advertisements

I doubt short hair can work on a woman unless she has a womanly face. Risk of looking masculine or androgynous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
I think most women look best with at least shoulder length hair with longer layers. IMO bob cuts are not usually the most flattering - though they can be stylish. Maybe if you have a very thin/angular face, like Victoria Beckham, it can work. There are other short-hair exceptions, like Halle Barry....

More importantly the hair should be shiny and healthy... Hair that is too long with split ends and no style can be unattractive. I also don't think any woman looks their best in a scrunchie or plastic butterfly/banana clip- but that is just my personal preference on the matter. I think there are prettier things to put up long hair - antique clips, flowers, chop sticks, etc...

Old 06-27-2013, 12:44 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
I have thick heavy wavy blonde hair. I've had a lot of hairdressers surprised because usually people with my hair colour have much finer hair. I think I got my Dad's hair colour and my mother's hair type. He has the fine straight blonde hair. My mother has thick heavy wavy almost black hair. My Mum put it in braids as a kid because it hurts in ponytails.

I don't think it matters how I have my hair. People are indifferent because no one ever mentions it.
Oh, I love the way your hair sounds!

I have golden blonde hair myself, but it's like frigging silk! All those commercials about getting silky hair, ugh! I want mine to be more rough so I can do something with it.

Bobs on me look HORRIBLE because my hair is so fine--I just don't have the volume. I did it once and never will again it took so much work just to keep it feminine looking. Right now my hair is about 2 inches below my shoulders and it looks great though, so I can't complain too much. I love the way it feels on my bare back and shoulders too.

But in the heat lately, mostly I've been wearing it in a pony tail or a pony tail pulled though a baseball hat. I hope a lot of men find that sexy because even if it is fine, that long hair holds in the heat around my neck and gets too hot!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:49 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
a woman with short hair? Like a layered bob? Or does it depend on the woman? I have long hair and am seriously contemplating hacking it all off. I've kept it long only because I'm actively dating and know men prefer long hair. Now, I'm ready for a change but am concerned I won't attract the right person. How important is hair to you?
It doesn't really bother me, especially from the pictures returned from googling.
It also depends on how old you are. If you are in your 20's, a lot of guys your age may not be a huge fan of it.
But from what I can tell, that style is not super short, and it can still look really good.

Besides, if a guy deems you undateable due to your hairstyle, you probably wouldnt want to date that guy anyway.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:19 PM

250 posts, read 400,051 times
I think it looks bad on most women, and ok on a few. But they'd all look better with longer hair, that's just my preference. I am well aware that it means nothing of the sort, but I can't help but think lesbian when I see a girl with short hair.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:24 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
If it suits you, then do it. Sure, you may limit your dating pool, but it's also weeding out guys who wouldn't "get you" anyway.

I definitely believe in self-growth, but in an area that's a matter of taste & not a personality flaw, then I think it's important to be authentic or you'll end up with people liking some external criteria you've molded yourself to, not who you really are. And sure, hair is not your identity, but it's still very personal.

I know a few women with adorable pixie cuts who pull it off well & they met their partners with that hair. In other words, it did not seem to get in the way of their finding a boyfriend/husband.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:47 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
I've always had super long hair, and when I go get it cut (which is rare, I just put it off) it's odd to me the lady at the salon will be like, "OMG does your husband know? Are you sure? Are you sure he's OK with this?" I've never even cut it shorter than my shoulders. Heck, he's the one man I know that wouldn't mind me losing most of my hair. Most men I know prefer long hair. Growing up my dictator father refused to let me cut it, I hated it. Now I get too lazy or busy, I wear it up a lot cause it's so hot and I just let it go and before I know it, it's to my waist.

I wish I could pull off shorter hair, but I don't have the face for it. I also get that "triangle hair" because no matter how I style it, it "poofs out" without the weight of some length.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:00 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,229,875 times
I dont prefer them but when I was single I could not afford to be that picky so I would look past it.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I've always had super long hair, and when I go get it cut (which is rare, I just put it off) it's odd to me the lady at the salon will be like, "OMG does your husband know? Are you sure? Are you sure he's OK with this?" I've never even cut it shorter than my shoulders. Heck, he's the one man I know that wouldn't mind me losing most of my hair. Most men I know prefer long hair. Growing up my dictator father refused to let me cut it, I hated it. Now I get too lazy or busy, I wear it up a lot cause it's so hot and I just let it go and before I know it, it's to my waist.

I wish I could pull off shorter hair, but I don't have the face for it. I also get that "triangle hair" because no matter how I style it, it "poofs out" without the weight of some length.

This is basically my hair if I let it dry naturally and it's humid out. Totally get the 'triangle hair' thing

Old 06-28-2013, 04:11 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
a woman with short hair? Like a layered bob? Or does it depend on the woman? I have long hair and am seriously contemplating hacking it all off. I've kept it long only because I'm actively dating and know men prefer long hair. Now, I'm ready for a change but am concerned I won't attract the right person. How important is hair to you?
Whatever hairstyle she believes compliments her facial features best is the hairstyle I like. Doesn't matter if it's long or short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships