Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,627,366 times

Advertisements

This whole thread is a joke because it assumes that men go for the looks primarily when they choose long-term mate.
There's only one truth about looks. It helps women to attract attention. After just 1-2 dates, visual appearance plays almost no role at all.

This is a general rule, exceptions don't make a general rule false. Exceptions are simply exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
This whole thread is a joke because it assumes that men go for the looks primarily when they choose long-term mate.
There's only one truth about looks. It helps women to attract attention. After just 1-2 dates, visual appearance plays almost no role at all.

This is a general rule, exceptions don't make a general rule false. Exceptions are simply exceptions.
If you cant get to that first date though male or female then your kinda dead in the water, just because looks are only good for initital attraction and that is a short time its a critical time.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:

I absolutely disagree with that. Otherwise, men wouldn't complain if their SOs gained weight, and men would never leave their wives after being disfigured or getting cancer and becoming less 'pretty'.

Visual attraction is a huge part of a LTR for most men.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
If you cant get to that first date though male or female then your kinda dead in the water, just because looks are only good for initital attraction and that is a short time its a critical time.

Let me just say it like this. There are other things that play the role in it and some other traits that can be hinted besides looks on a first glance. Those things also play the role. I'm talking about long-term/lifetime mate choosing here.

For all I want to say is this - there's an urban myth that guys aren't into money. I'm very sure that I've noticed the trend among rich folks is as following:
1. accumulated wealth
2. power position
3. annual income

As a rule of thumb, rich folks are much more into it than average folks. The stories about trading looks for money are false as a general rule, at least for vast majority of rich folks. It works as a general rule for athletes and actors. They tend to be into models and actresses. Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg are exception by marrying someone who's not conforming the three already mentioned rules, not the general rule.

Rich guys, even self-made rich folks, tend to marry i.e. banker's daughter. This completely trumps anything that ohio forum member said and what Mrs Jones thinks is true. It's very similar to how 2% of population (royalty and feudal landlords) were generally marrying among themselves for alliances, merging wealth and establishing new connections.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
::laughing and laughing::

I am having flashbacks to the Red Green show -- adult version!
Whoah what's the Red Green show?

Old 07-11-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I absolutely disagree with that. Otherwise, men wouldn't complain if their SOs gained weight, and men would never leave their wives after being disfigured or getting cancer and becoming less 'pretty'.

Visual attraction is a huge part of a LTR for most men.
Once this Hollywood standard becomes the "modus operandi" for general population, no relationship would be long-term. Guys will walk out on any old woman they are with as a general rule and that would be it. I've noticed that the media is actually quite good at enforcing the terrible attitude in general.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Quote:

I said I didn't agree with it. The host from Survivor said it.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Once this Hollywood standard becomes the "modus operandi" for general population, no relationship would be long-term. Guys will walk out on any old woman they are with as a general rule and that would be it. I've noticed that the media is actually quite good at enforcing the terrible attitude in general.
Actually, that seems to be what a lot of men are doing...divorcing their wives and chasing younger women once they hit 'middle aged'. Multiple marriages seem perfectly normal and people just are participating in 'serial monogamy'. I don't think that's necessarily a good or bad thing, though...society and culture is simply changing.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:53 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,227,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Actually, that seems to be what a lot of men are doing...divorcing their wives and chasing younger women once they hit 'middle aged'. Multiple marriages seem perfectly normal and people just are participating in 'serial monogamy'. I don't think that's necessarily a good or bad thing, though...society and culture is simply changing.
Its only a bad thing for thoes that have much fewer dating options. Its one thing if 2 young hot people separate and can pick up their sex lives in a matter of a few weeks, its another thing to abandon someone who has almost no chance in the dating world.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Its only a bad thing for thoes that have much fewer dating options. Its one thing if 2 young hot people separate and can pick up their sex lives in a matter of a few weeks, its another thing to abandon someone who has almost no chance in the dating world.
I have very very few dating options. That doesn't mean I'm going to lower my standards to druggies and ex cons because they're the only ones who seem to be into me. I'd rather be single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships