Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't agree. There are men who are hideous who know they're hideous.
LOL hahaha

In my experience, there are men who are so darn sexy, they just didn't realize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I agree you can talk about how the 6 foot plus model looking ceo isnt your type but the truth is you couldnt get him anyway and its a defensive mechanism saying how you dont like those guys..

I dont really get this men care so much mroe about looks then women thing its just not true..try being a guy under 5'9 online and see how many even overweight or unattratcive women want nothing to do with you
I agree with just about everything you said.

The only thing I might take different directions with you on is the 5'9" thing just by itsself, heoght just by itself. I don't doubt you are right about what I might find from many or even most women online about men of that height or shorter. Most probably say that can't be with a guy that short.

From my own experiences my height is not much of an issue for me today--or if it is I'm to stupid to realize its an issue for women in any given setting. I'm shorter than 5'9. But I'm the same height or taller than most American women (American women being statistically taller on average than certain other nationalities of women like Brazilian or Cambodian). Face to face it does not seem an obstacle for me at all.

I was always short for my age and sex as a child. Then I was very aware my height was problem for others. I mean I had to since so many boy and girls explicitly pointed it out to me in a negative way.

Then I had acne as a teen plus ectomorph. Damn. A muthaf___a couldn't win.

But I improved in looks with age but it took until about my late 20's. That damn long. Once that happened it was like I was never who I was before. Even subtle things like women leaning against the wall laughing at some corny joke I made. Or women from my grade school years running into me and saying in a good tone, "You're not longer short anymore." No b___ I'm not. Well... I am but just not that damn short any more.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Now hear me out. Men(not all)think they are better looking than what they really are. This is why they date up. Women on the other hand tend to think they are not all that. That's why some settle. Do you agree?
Nonsense. There are a lot of men and women who have no idea how attractive they look.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
I'm willing to place a wager its because you've had bad experiences with men who have those body types and thus you know associates most fit me with being jackasses and thus, unattractive?
Nope, just never been into them. The last guy I 'dated' was around 6'6 and probably 240 and definitely what most people would consider out of shape. I like chubby guys, cuddling next to a rock has zero appeal to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I agree you can talk about how the 6 foot plus model looking ceo isnt your type but the truth is you couldnt get him anyway and its a defensive mechanism saying how you dont like those guys..

I dont really get this men care so much mroe about looks then women thing its just not true..try being a guy under 5'9 online and see how many even overweight or unattratcive women want nothing to do with you
Does every thread have to turn into a 'short guys' thread?

Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,985,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Can we talk about this bit from the okc blog?

I was astounded by the bit about how the okc staff described the 4 men (who were rated as less than average attractiveness by the women polled) as "totally decent looking".

What does everyone think? Granted, one of the things hurting these guys is the pics are poorly done and some of them could use some quick lessons in how to pose/smile in order to photograph better.

Curious... If we use the attractiveness levels of the women posted as a baseline for comparison . . . how do you think the guys stack up?
i think it's much easier to reach a consensus about what constitutes an above average woman than an above average man (at least in the real world, if not CDR)

as far as the pictures of those men, i think the point was that they weren't significantly less attractive than medium - despite being rated so by women. not that they were hot or anything

if you do think those were ugly men, then i think you are confirming the point of the blog. those guys look like they could be in any random group of young, reasonably attractive/successful men. they are fairly parallel to the "middle" rated women they posted, but were rated much less

although being in silicon valley, you might be a bit spoiled. people tend to be young and attractive there. still, i've known tons and tons of silicon valley engineer guys, and those men in the pictures certainly wouldn't be below average among them (especially blondie and guitar man)

Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Nope, just never been into them. The last guy I 'dated' was around 6'6 and probably 240 and definitely what most people would consider out of shape. I like chubby guys, cuddling next to a rock has zero appeal to me.

Ah ok, I fail then

Old 07-10-2013, 01:37 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I agree. I would see so many men on dating sites who were obese but list themselves as average or athletic. I've met men who think they are better looking. Oh sure there are women who do this but not like the men I have met.
Really? I don't think men necessarily think they are better looking than they really are. I think SOME of them like to brag about their "other" abilities, you know what I mean.

"Hey babe, how about giving me a chance? Just one night, I can win you over."

"You have been with the wrong guys, I bet I am better. All my exes have had multiple orgasms with me. I bet you can too with me."

Some men brag about fictional sexual relationships with women.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,985,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I agree. I would see so many men on dating sites who were obese but list themselves as average or athletic
there's a difference between lying on a dating site to score more dates and being genuinely self-delusional

Old 07-10-2013, 01:38 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,613 times
Of course they are those women who are so full of themselves and their looks and desire men who act the same way, you've seen em before.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
i think it's much easier to reach a consensus about what constitutes an above average woman than an above average man (at least in the real world, if not CDR)

as far as the pictures of those men, i think the point was that they weren't significantly less attractive than medium - despite being rated so by women. not that they were hot or anything

if you do think those were ugly men, then i think you are confirming the point of the blog. those guys look like they could be in any random group of young, reasonably attractive/successful men. they are fairly parallel to the "middle" rated women they posted, but were rated much less

although being in silicon valley, you might be a bit spoiled. people tend to be young and attractive there. still, i've known tons and tons of silicon valley engineer guys, and those men in the pictures certainly wouldn't be below average among them (especially blondie and guitar man)
I think it's because most guys view women's attractiveness based solely on if they would 'bang' her or not. Therefore, more women are going to be viewed as attractive from that view because most guys would have sex with almost any woman. Women, on the other hand, tend to focus more on how the guy makes her feel instead of just his looks (though I'm not saying they aren't important, lest guys freak out about it) so they tend to be harsher when judging solely on looks from pictures.

At least, that's my view on it. For the record, I think the guys used as examples are all above average and very good looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships