Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 AM

127 posts, read 240,249 times

Advertisements

For those whose spouses are stay at home raising children what are your expectations?

Do you:
- Not have any expectations besides attending to your children? In this case it is assumed you participate 50/50 in all household chores besides working fulltime?

- Have expectations to take care of household chores (basic cleaning, grocery shopping etc.)?

- Have expectations that he/she cook lunch/dinner for you?

What if your stay at home spouse wanted to hire a nanny? OR hire a maid to do the cleaning? Would that be acceptable to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 05:30 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Depends how big is the house, how many kids and the lifestyle demands. This could be more than a full time job. She might need some help, from the husband or hired staff.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmanners View Post
For those whose spouses are stay at home raising children what are your expectations?

Do you:
- Not have any expectations besides attending to your children? In this case it is assumed you participate 50/50 in all household chores besides working fulltime?

- Have expectations to take care of household chores (basic cleaning, grocery shopping etc.)?

What if your stay at home spouse wanted to hire a nanny? OR hire a maid to do the cleaning? Would that be acceptable to you?
The biggest and most important role for my wife is attending to our kids. Everything else such as cooking and cleaning is negotiable. She generally does most housework, though there are parts of the house that I just do myself. Cooking depends more on what we want to have. We grill a lot and on those nights I take the lead on dinner.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:43 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Depends how big is the house, how many kids and the lifestyle demands. This could be more than a full time job. She might need some help, from the husband or hired staff.
I agree with this. It really depends on how many kids and their ages, size of the home....etc. What other commitments does the parent that stays home have (does s/he watch other children, volunteer at the school...etc).

If the expectation is that all chores are done and dinner is on the table, but she has a few very young children...it's doable but it's exhausting.

What is the work out of the home parent willing to do when s/he gets home from work? Is this person going to sit on their ass and relax or pitch in and help out?

Last edited by *Sixy*; 07-17-2013 at 07:53 AM..

Old 07-17-2013, 07:47 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
That's for each couple to decide on their own. We have a smallish house and we are not wealthy. Even if I wanted outside help - we couldn't afford it! I stay at home, take care of our son, take care of most of the housework, all the cooking, shopping, etc. My husband is awesome and pitches in when he can.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Kids and I were responsible for the lion's share of the home maintenance when we did that gig.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmanners View Post

Do you:

I will most likely stay home as a parent, in my particular situation, at least initially.

Maintaining a clean, tidy, and organized house is everyone who lives there's responsibility...this doesn't change due to the presence/absence of kids, or the presence/absence of full-time employment. Tasks get divided in whatever way works best for the parties involved. I'm probably not mowing the lawn when home by myself, with small children, etc.

If I'm not working full-time, I'm def. doing the grocery shopping. The best, fastest time in the world to grocery shop is when most people are at 9-5 jobs during the week. Meal prep for the whole family would be, as it is now, based on who has the time and desire to do it at a given time.

If I'm staying home to parent, hiring a nanny is antithetical to the reason for my staying home. I generally view hiring out for housekeeping as unnecessary, as well.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
One factor to consider is: Do you want her to be exhausted at bedtime, or to have lots of energy left?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 AM

52,248 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I think in some ways, the stay at home spouse might have it tougher, especially if you got 2 or 3 kids. There was some study somewhere that put a cost for all of the "services" that are perfomed in the home, such as day care, cleaning, cooking etc etc, and the costs were really high. I mean prohibitively high for the average person, this is assuming you "outsourced" all the needs.

I think also that the stay at home spouse puts in more than a standard 8 hour day...

I don't know, there are a lot of factors to consider.

I do think however, lets assume the wife stays at home to be a stay at home wife, that it just makes sense, from just a purely financial point of view, not to mention I'm a big fan of family raising family not daycare, I understand some people have to do it, but IDK... I think a lot of times people don't want to "sacrifice" the second income. The thing is that a lot of times after you factor day care, clothes, lunches out, gas, car maintence, etc etc it makes more sense for one spouse to stay at home. Not always, but a lot of times.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,604,665 times
Why would any woman need to hire a nanny if she is a SAHM? Does she have 25 kids and a 15000 sq ft home? Or would she rather go shopping all day, watching day soaps while eating potato chips on the coach. If youre a SAHM or SAHD, take care of your kids and the house. Not like its really that hard at all, with just a lil bit of an effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships