Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 10:40 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this is probably another "dead horse" topic, but quite frankly, I'm too lazy to search.

I find in this day of instant communication, I tend to write someone off as not interested and move on with my life fairly quickly. I find if I reach out to someone, whether I liked their profile (so done with online dating!), met them through Meetup, or through a friend, after a couple of days I start to write them off as not interested. I don't dwell on it, and they're fully written off after about a week.

So, how quickly does everyone else write people off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:47 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
I write off people who don't act interested, or show interest quickly too.

I don't want to hound someone into being interested and I feel if someone is truly interested, they will make the time and put out the effort to reach out, respond, be an involved and active participant, etc.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I'm sure this is probably another "dead horse" topic, but quite frankly, I'm too lazy to search.

I find in this day of instant communication, I tend to write someone off as not interested and move on with my life fairly quickly. I find if I reach out to someone, whether I liked their profile (so done with online dating!), met them through Meetup, or through a friend, after a couple of days I start to write them off as not interested. I don't dwell on it, and they're fully written off after about a week.

Do you mean that they don't respond quickly enough so you move on, or that you're not making deeper connections and can't be bothered, if you don't have feelings instantly?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I don't want to hound someone into being interested and I feel if someone is truly interested, they will make the time and put out the effort to reach out, respond, be an involved and active participant, etc.
Agreed. I was definitely a hounder in my early 20's. I'm guilty of being one of those who checked to make sure the phone was working 50 times a day. Glad I outgrew that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Do you mean that they don't respond quickly enough so you move on, or that you're not making deeper connections and can't be bothered, if you don't have feelings instantly?
The first one. If I reach out and haven't gotten a response after a few days, while logically, I know I could get one, I don't dwell on it and just go about my merry way.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:56 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,547,302 times
Quote:

This is a divorced bachelor's perspective: I know women are flakey when it comes to returning texts I send, so I ping every once in a while for a couple of weeks with someone new. Then if i get zero after a while (not appearing needy/clingy/desperate), i delete their contact info so i can't text them again. When you are at this "interested?" dating stage, getting out of textzone and into a live meetup can be very challenging.

I think most women operate under the rule that if they don't reply to a guy's text, they will go away after a while. I think most guys understand that too.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
My attitude is the same as yours, OP. There's always someone else out there. If eventually someone does get back to me with a reasonable excuse, and I'm not otherwise commited, I may still give them a chance.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:12 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,374,299 times
Quote:

I'm not sure-depends on whether we started making plans to meet.

If we had discussed meeting, but then he disappears, I tend to dismiss that person.
If we have yet to get around to really talking about meeting, then I allow for a lot more leeway.
Heck, I've gotten a msg. from a guy one whole month after he last wrote to me-
and I didn't go off on him, I just politely inquired about that (and privately rolled my eyes at his flakiness).
When we did finally meet, there was no interest in each other, so it didn't matter.

However, I can say for certain that I was recently "written off with a vengeance" by a different guy I met from online.
We exchanged one set of msgs. after the meet, but I had an anxiety attack & didn't write back to him for more than a day.
Just when I was finally going to reply, he sent me a nasty, mean, highly critical msg. excoriating me for being rude in not replying already.
So, he wrote me off, which in turn caused me to write him off even further (since I wasn't terribly enchanted with him after our meet anyway).

Old 08-02-2013, 12:22 PM

31,081 posts, read 22,101,630 times
I don't write off many women quickly, I almost always give them the benifit of the doubt, but I find many women incompatible with me after X amount of time: Too Right, too Left, too opinionated, Too crazy, Too Lazy. Unfortunately, 'on the surface' many women look Ideal: Great pictures, Good attitude, Even keeled, Friendly, outgoing, etc. After a bit of time is when you find out your not quite so compatible.

What’s amazes me is when someone still wants to see you when you are obviously not compatible.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,999,377 times
I assume someone is not that interested if they don't contact me within about 18 hours after a first meeting. The morning, after a lunch date, for example.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:37 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
For me if I don't get a response I write it off. When I did online if a man didn't respond within a few days I figured not interested. I do the same but many men didn't get the memo and weeks later would still send messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships