Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 08:23 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,630,308 times

Advertisements

@Camlon:
Wasn't there an "alarming data" about England having about 250,000 annual marriages, 20-30% being previously divorced couples anyways, while there are some 850,000 folks in the corresponding age cohorts? They also argued that the data are far worse for native Britons because Pakistani, Indian, Bangladeshi and Polish immigrants tend to marry quite regularly.

It's directly connected with the fact that no common law marriage exists, thus many couples are using it because of widespread marital failures and its consequences. There is a strong campaign to introduce common law marriage like it happened in other countries of Commonwealth (i.e. Australia), but there is also a strong anti-common law marriage attitude.
Introducing common law marriage would definitely alter lots of relationships in the UK.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:29 AM

29,756 posts, read 34,444,246 times
In theory, I don't have an issue with either party requesting a prenup if they have significant assets or if it's a second marriage and the couple have children from the first.

The way many people on the board frame it, prenups are necessary because he doesn't want that cow to get any of his hard-earned money. In that case, it sounds like he shouldn't be getting married in the first place.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:42 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,080,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
@Camlon:
Wasn't there an "alarming data" about England having about 250,000 annual marriages, 20-30% being previously divorced couples anyways, while there are some 850,000 folks in the corresponding age cohorts? They also argued that the data are far worse for native Britons because Pakistani, Indian, Bangladeshi and Polish immigrants tend to marry quite regularly.
That's right. Many young British people are opting out of marriage. The institution of marriage may collapse entirely in the UK.

Quote:
It's directly connected with the fact that no common law marriage exists, thus many couples are using it because of widespread marital failures and its consequences. There is a strong campaign to introduce common law marriage like it happened in other countries of Commonwealth (i.e. Australia), but there is also a strong anti-common law marriage attitude.
Common law marriages is one of the most disgusting things I know about. You did not get married, so it makes zero sense they should have marriage responsibilities. Now that gay marriage is becoming more common, can my flatmate claim we are in a relationship and sue me for alimony and half of my assets. It is so ridiculous it probably wouldn't be accepted by UK voters.

Actually, I don't think it is that ridiculous in Australia. They have common law marriages like the US, but they don't have equal value. But there are some politicians who want common law marriages to be equal to normal marriages.

But again the politicians who want that, are not thinking about the long term consequences. Eventually it will just lead to a hook up culture where people stop cohabiting. That will certainly not help women, who will end as single mums.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
In theory, I don't have an issue with either party requesting a prenup if they have significant assets or if it's a second marriage and the couple have children from the first.

The way many people on the board frame it, prenups are necessary because he doesn't want that cow to get any of his hard-earned money. In that case, it sounds like he shouldn't be getting married in the first place.
That is spot-on. People should just avoid any obligations towards each other if they choose so and the government shouldn't try to trick them into obligations that they never wanted to sign in first place. But those same people should just give it a rest when it comes to marriage because its concept is the opposite of it.

Maybe some people should start thinking of having Sharia weddings and disregard the today's concept of marriage.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:51 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,192,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princewilla View Post
Just see the divorce rates and the lose-lose situation for men after divorce.
Its certain that you would lose your half property, hard earned money and your kids.
You have to pay .
1) Alimony
2) Child support

I mean this marriage contract is created to favor women in every possible way. And what if the child is not your's ?
What if you are paying child support for someone's else kid ?
More than 30 % of the men are paying child support for someone else kid's.
So i think every men should get a PRENUP and PATERNITY TEST after having kids. Marriage contract is a scam for men.

Why would any men want to get married anyway ?
Hey man, do what you gotta do. But, no, I don't think all men need to do this. I also don't think all men should get married.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:03 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,299,053 times
Unless you're sitting on a ton of assets from BEFORE YOU STARTED DATING? I think a prenup is pretty much pointless.

Paternity testing? Varies. I think it's rude to ask for one from a spouse or long-term partner unless you already feel something is amiss.

What always cracks me up with these threads is that *I* was the one with a substantially higher income when my ex and I divorced. We had 3 kids. I got custody (he did not want custody, just visitation) AND he wanted what would have amounted to about 1/3 of my TAKE HOME pay for "child support".

He did not get it. Legally, he made enough to be paying ME a very modest amount of child support. Very. Less than 300 a month kind of modest.

I ultimately agreed not to seek it so he would just give me a divorce and leave me the hell alone.

Enough with the speeches about women robbing poor, innocent men.

My ex thought I'd be HIS meal ticket. (We met in college, he should have been making a similar salary...he was just lazy).

Suck it, men who hate women. Quit your bitchin'.

If you wanna cuddle up to your cash instead of a nice woman? Don't get married.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:12 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,135,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
If you are planning a kid, then you are having unprotected sex. Only a woman totally without morals would at the same time have random sex with another guy to increase her chance of being pregnant by another man. If you can't even trust her to do that, then being in marriage with her is meaningless.

That sound exactly like the "oops, I am pregnant" case. If not, how would she know the kid is by the other man and not her husbands.

This case is what usually happens when she gets pregnant by another man.
Sometimes trust is misplaced.

A guys not allowed to make a mistake? Or factor in that people change?

In the specific instance: she didn't know if the kid was his or not.... which is what she confessed to.
(Personally I think she was worried about what would happen when the baby was born, since she cheated on him with 2 guys, and one was Latino... I think she was worried the baby would 'have a tan' (They are both pale)

Old 08-03-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Unless you're sitting on a ton of assets from BEFORE YOU STARTED DATING? I think a prenup is pretty much pointless.

Paternity testing? Varies. I think it's rude to ask for one from a spouse or long-term partner unless you already feel something is amiss.

What always cracks me up with these threads is that *I* was the one with a substantially higher income when my ex and I divorced. We had 3 kids. I got custody (he did not want custody, just visitation) AND he wanted what would have amounted to about 1/3 of my TAKE HOME pay for "child support".

He did not get it. Legally, he made enough to be paying ME a very modest amount of child support. Very. Less than 300 a month kind of modest.

I ultimately agreed not to seek it so he would just give me a divorce and leave me the hell alone.

Enough with the speeches about women robbing poor, innocent men.

My ex thought I'd be HIS meal ticket. (We met in college, he should have been making a similar salary...he was just lazy).

Suck it, men who hate women. Quit your bitchin'.

If you wanna cuddle up to your cash instead of a nice woman? Don't get married.
Bold part. It's wrong and we had a discussion about it in the topic that is now closed. Generally the victims of paternity fraud were unsuspecting men, not the men who knew of the affair or were having clear suspicions. Such guys would outright demand a court to determine the paternity of the child in most cases, or they'd also see an option to walk away and avoid all the hassle.
Nobody shuold "ask" for paternity testing, although the law prohibits it otherwise and there is a long prison sentence for the offenders. Laws are simply injust and the shaming will shut any opportunity to avoid paternity fraud. Any guy reading this should know that they should research their options and use them.
Buying a paternity kit and taking the samples then sending them anonymously and reviewing the results on the internet is the ideal option and lots of men are "doing" that. It's for betterment of everyone, especially the men involved. Laws regarding the paternity in today's manner should not exist because those medieval practices are now backed up with modern traps made deliberately to trap unsuspecting and trusting people, not to fight the frauds, punishing the perpetrators or helping the victims. Laws will further punish already destroyed victims and this is why breaking such laws and doing it safely with no risk involved is what any sane guy should do.

Other than that, you're speaking of alimony case there. The guy had much less income and he used his opportunity to demand you to be his meal ticket. That's nothing strange and it's rather silly how people think that it doesn't happen or that it's rare, especially when you toss two people who are likely at odds with each other during the divorce.
This is why marrying such guy was a bad idea for you in the first place. But the worse case is when you lose your whole house that you paid for years to obtain or that you inherited from your parents, only to marry some loser who claims their right upon it. People here repeatedly think that it cannot affect you because you're a woman and there's some cruel awakening for many people when they realize how the court works. Court generally doesn't care what's a just thing, but what the standard procedures and practices are.
People literally have their houses being put on sale due to disputes or inability to pay them off. They get to leave the place where they lived for decades and are met with bleak future in their advanced age because they have to start all over again instead of preparing for peaceful old age. Most old people don't have huge assets, it's generally a house, inner furniture, an old car and some savings/funds. Taking away the house out of such equation places them in a terrible position.

Last edited by nald; 08-03-2013 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-03-2013, 09:29 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,757,535 times
OP has never even had a girlfriend so the issue is probably moot for him.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OP has never even had a girlfriend so the issue is probably moot for him.
Hahha. I think the OP is probably some other forum member who decided to open this topic to continue a topic that got closed (involving paternity fraud) but he also reshaped it to make it different and avoid its closure. I wonder how long will it last before it turns into another session of endless discussion that gets closed. So far, so good, but it's probably heading there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships