Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 PM

943 posts, read 1,005,134 times

Advertisements

Ha ha, that I am not...but I'm wondering about kind of developing that part of myself...in my family growing up there was no patience for 'girly-ness', it was not advocated...you know, farming country people, who has time for that?
Now as an adult, and sort of preparing myself for the dating world, it seems like men my age would like to date someone with finesse not someone who knows how to skip rocks at least 6 times.
Also, I LOOK like a country girl, I'm having a hard time justifying the expense of getting my hair and nails done, or wearing high heels.
Unlike some country girls I have done a lot to educate myself, become aware of the big picture, cultural social issues, art and humanities, psychology and philosophy. I don't usually talk with a country drawl-unless I happen to be talking to someone else with one.
In short, help me to get over my country-ness, give me advice on how to achieve the look, and attitude of someone who doesn't turn into a big kid when she meets dogs.
Yes, its true, I am a country girl at heart, and I live in a place where that isn't appreciated, I have to do some modifications and now seems like a good time to start...I think I'm going to try the dating scene next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 12:18 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,126,772 times
If you are attractive and cute you can pull off 'country girl' with any normal man. If you are average like the bulk of us a little brushing off goes a long ways!

Last edited by LS Jaun; 08-21-2013 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM

2,386 posts, read 3,271,713 times
Develop your own sense of style, one you are comfortable with and if people can't accept you then that's their loss. If you stay true to yourself I'm sure you'll meet wonderful people who will love you for you

Old 08-21-2013, 12:27 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,307,198 times
No one wants to date a diva.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:35 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,554,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
No one wants to date a diva.
In fact, letting some of the country girl out would be appealing. Just don't let them take advantage of you because they think you won't know any better.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:30 PM

10,215 posts, read 17,900,308 times
Don't pretend to be someone you're not just to get a guy interested in you, you'll only wind up being incompatible in the long run. There are plenty of guys out there who would see your educated, low-maintenance, down-to-earth, girl-next-door image as very desirable. Hairs and nails and shoes are not what a guy really looks for in a girl - I only get my hair and nails done for very special occasions and I never had a problem with getting guys interested in me (and now I'm married). And as for shoes - flats are still in style at the moment! You don't need heels to be feminine.

Maybe the guys in your area just aren't the type of guys to appreciate an enlightened, down-to-earth girl. Without wishing to insult the people in your town, it sounds like you simply have more class than most of the people there. If being feminine in your area means looking like Joy in My Name Is Earl, you're better off the way you are now! Start looking for a guy outside your town who might be more likely to appreciate your qualities.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with exploring a more feminine side of yourself, especially if you feel it was suppressed by your family growing up. But don't force it and don't just copy the women around you - discover your own feminine style.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:29 PM

I like the responses, I do want to be true to myself, I haven't dated in a long time, and like a lot of things about myself, I hope to find someone who is somewhat like me, at least appreciates the things about me that I identify as core values.
If I put up a picture I'm sure people would have more suggestions about how to do my hair, or style suggestions, I am a little shy of being nit-picked though.
I was wondering if anyone has any book or online suggestions?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,672,043 times
You're wonderful just the way you are and I'll tell you something... Men like all types of women. They like them all.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
I like the responses, I do want to be true to myself, I haven't dated in a long time, and like a lot of things about myself, I hope to find someone who is somewhat like me, at least appreciates the things about me that I identify as core values.
If I put up a picture I'm sure people would have more suggestions about how to do my hair, or style suggestions, I am a little shy of being nit-picked though.
I was wondering if anyone has any book or online suggestions?

I can appreciate what you are trying to accomplish, and good for you for wanting to put your best foot forward as you re-enter the dating world

I suggest you start with hair and makeup.

Look through hair magazines until you find a few styles that appeal to you. Take the pics with you to a a hair dresser someone you trust can recommend. Ask for her opinion about which style might look best with your type of hair.

Then visit a Merle Norman or even a dept store makeup counter and get some help with understanding how to enhance your eyes in particular. A little makeup goes a long way, but knowing how to use it effectively takes you even further

Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try out the dept. store makeup thing, and researching new looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships