Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,223,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Now, I know the title belongs in the food forum but this really is more of a relationship topic.

Just about every girl I've dated hates fast food. However, they love going out to eat at restaurants. To me, the taste/quality of food difference isn't THAT extreme. I suggest fast food, they get disguted and insulted. Then they suggest a $15 meal and think its healthier.

I don't mind spending some cash every once in a while for a meal but every time...thats just not happening. I've figured out the few ones the girl I'm dating likes and stick with those.

Is it because I usually pay for the entire bill? Do women eat fast food with their friends and whatnot but expect more with their man?

Considering I usually pay for the entire bill, I get insulted when everytime we eat out...she wants a restaurant. I can get 3-4 fast food meals for the two of us with one restaurant meal.

Now, this isn't the first...second...or even third date. I know better than that. This is for longer term dating.

Any other dudes with this issue?
If she wants to go somewhere nicer, and it's her idea, she should pick up the tab. Feel free to tell her that. You're not her meal ticket.

However, if your girlfriend doesn't like fast food, then stop suggesting it. It's no different than suggesting any other type of food someone doesn't like. It shows a disregard for the other person's taste. It's also a no-win situation: You'd rather fill her with fast food and then six months from now complain that she got fat?

Me, personally, I don't eat fast food. It's greasy, disgusting, loaded with everything from hormones to pink slime, fattening, artery-clogging, doused in sodium, and just plain nasty to me. Also, I don't eat meat, so unless it's something like a baked potato with cheese and broccoli, there is nothing on the menu for me to get, anyway. If my SO and I are in a situation where we need something quick, we'll get take-out from a decent Thai place or stop at a place like Tropical Smoothie. I don't think he really eats fast food any more, himself. He'd just as soon grab a burrito at Chipotle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,480,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
If she wants to go somewhere nicer, and it's her idea, she should pick up the tab. Feel free to tell her that. You're not her meal ticket.
Eating somewhere nicer doesn't necessarily mean more expensive, either. There's a taco place in my neighborhood that makes great food with really fresh ingredients for $2.50/taco. I'd much rather eat there than at salty, greasy McDonalds.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:15 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,402,237 times
You've got to be a pretty big rube to think there are only fast-food places or expensive restaurants.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:16 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,238,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Eating somewhere nicer doesn't necessarily mean more expensive, either. There's a taco place in my neighborhood that makes great food with really fresh ingredients for $2.50/taco. I'd much rather eat there than at salty, greasy McDonalds.
I took women out to a nice hotel restaraunt on a lake that had half off food for like 3 hrs and it worked out. I rarely eat fast food myself so I would not take a woman some place I dont eat. If I have to get something quick I will do sub way or take out sushi.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,024,798 times
Quote:
Exactly. I'm lucky to live in a place that is overrun with little local restaurants. They are better than fast food and they are not expensive.

In fact, with fast food prices now, it'snot much cheaper to eat there. I stopped at a place on the way home from the airport not too long ago and I think a chicken sandwich, fries, and tea was 8$ or something. Good grief.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:26 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,024,941 times
Quote:
There isn't anything like that here.

Cheap food is found in FF places. 99 cent tacos are found in Taco Bell. 99 cent junior cheeseburger deluxe at Wendy's, and there's 2 Macdonalds and Burger Kings not too far apart from each other. Take your pick!

Old 08-26-2013, 01:26 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,223,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
There's nothing wrong with it, and if they throw a tantrum, pull into one anyway and order something. Make sure they know that they won't always get there way.
That's not a date. That's a hostage situation where you're being rude. It's better to tell someone straight up that if she wants something nicer, she can pay for it. "You buy, I'll fly," meaning she pays, you drive. I can't imagine anyone throwing a tantrum over that, but if she did, then you say, "Okay, well, let's do something after dinner then. Say, a 9:00 movie?"

Meaning, you iron everything out on the phone beforehand. I've done that. There were times when I was sick of going out to eat and did not want to cook, and told my SO that we should just do something a little later. Not every date has to, or should, revolve around food.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,344,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
There isn't anything like that here.

Cheap food is found in FF places. 99 cent tacos are found in Taco Bell. 99 cent junior cheeseburger deluxe at Wendy's, and there's 2 Macdonalds and Burger Kings not too far apart from each other. Take your pick!
None of the above. If those were my options, I'd stay home.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:33 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,024,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
That's not a date. That's a hostage situation where you're being rude. It's better to tell someone straight up that if she wants something nicer, she can pay for it. "You buy, I'll fly," meaning she pays, you drive. I can't imagine anyone throwing a tantrum over that, but if she did, then you say, "Okay, well, let's do something after dinner then. Say, a 9:00 movie?"

Meaning, you iron everything out on the phone beforehand. I've done that. There were times when I was sick of going out to eat and did not want to cook, and told my SO that we should just do something a little later. Not every date has to, or should, revolve around food.
I did this out of frustration because we were in the car on the way home and she complained about being hungry.

I threw suggestions out to her, and asked what she wanted, and she gave me the "Idk I'm just hungry" response, and she was shooting everything I brought up down, then she started throwing a tantrum about me not saying a restaurant that interested her.

At that point I was about to have aneurysm, so instead of continuing on with the conversation I saw a BK, pulled in and ordered a #2 with fries and asked what she wanted.

She ordered something and went on our way home.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,908,267 times
I sometimes eat fast food but no, in an early date it would be offensive in many examples. It tells me the guy either doesn't have money or no respect for me. For me it reminds me of the guys who couldn't afford a nicer dinner because of paying for their kids and ex wives.

However later on in a relationship this would be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships