Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times

Advertisements

...is your fear dating specific or is it part of your personality that you're afraid to try new things as a whole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 11:03 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times
A long time ago I was afraid to approach women for two underlying reasons:

I. I didn't have my own place.

II. I didn't have sexual confidence, I thought my tool (PG-13) was inadequate.

The first one was a matter of logistics, which resolved itself quickly once I had my own place without roommates, siblings, or parents.

The second one took cognitive therapy, kegel exercises, and lots of experience to get over. There was a time in my life where I would have given up all my money, my full-time job, all my muscles, above-average face, and the entirety of my social network for a larger tool. I would turn down sexual advances and refuse to flirt or date anyone no matter how strong their signals were because I felt my tool was inadequate. In retrospect, that was very stupid of me.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:06 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post

The second one took cognitive therapy, kegel exercises, and lots of experience to get over.
Men do kegels?

Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Men do kegels?
It's actually a harmful activity. Damages nerves and creates scar tissue.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:02 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,063 times
I don't fear approaching women. I just can't see anything good coming of it. So I never have.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
I got over my shyness, in part, by visualizing myself very intensely as an actor playing a Don Juan type in a movie and then acting out the scene at auditions, known as dates and pick-ups.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Men do kegels?
I don't even know what that is!!

I thought it was a hot dog.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:20 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
A long time ago I was afraid to approach women for two underlying reasons:

I. I didn't have my own place.

II. I didn't have sexual confidence, I thought my tool (PG-13) was inadequate.

The first one was a matter of logistics, which resolved itself quickly once I had my own place without roommates, siblings, or parents.

The second one took cognitive therapy, kegel exercises, and lots of experience to get over. There was a time in my life where I would have given up all my money, my full-time job, all my muscles, above-average face, and the entirety of my social network for a larger tool. I would turn down sexual advances and refuse to flirt or date anyone no matter how strong their signals were because I felt my tool was inadequate. In retrospect, that was very stupid of me.
tmi

Old 09-03-2013, 12:33 PM

213 posts, read 504,242 times
Several reasons:

(1) When I find a woman I'm interested in talking to, it's often somewhere I routinely go to, such as my gym or favorite coffee shop. The consequences of failure are too much in a place like this. For instance, there's a cute girl at my gym and I've always wanted to talk to her. But if she doesn't like me, then she's going to be creeped out every time she sees me at the gym because she'll think I'm stalking her or something. Which leads me to reason (2).

(2) Given reason (1), the only possible context in which I could approach a woman would be after randomly meeting her somewhere, such as a party or the bus stop. At any public place like the bus stop, women say they want to be left alone and not talked to (unless of course the guy looks like Brad Pitt), so that's out of the question. Appropriate places such as a party or bar are places I'm only at once or twice a month, so that's once or twice a month where I'd even have a feasible chance of getting to know a woman. And it's not like there are any attractive single women to begin with.

(3) I'm not confident in how I look. While I have had women who thought I was cute or handsome, they were most likely rare exceptions. If I knew that I was considered good looking to most women, I would have no problem approaching.

(4) It's not like there exist attractive single women. If I want an attractive woman, I'll have to engage in mate poaching, which will involve getting to know a woman at work or something.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,103,297 times
I dont because im insecure about my looks and fear and anticipate rejection so i dont bother..

Add in im horrible at talking to approaching strangers so a cold approach is not good for me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships