Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times

Advertisements

Im curious how long did it take until you realized getting married wasnt really for you and that you had made a mistake or wished you never got married?

I just dont understand how people can live together for so many years stuck with the same person

I know marriage isnt for everybody, but Ive seen or known so many people that wasted their time marrying and remarrying one after another, I dont think I would ever want to experience that, it seems awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 01:31 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
That never happened to me. I did make a mistake choosing my first wife and wished I hadn't married her, but I got it right with the second and am very happy with my choice.

Of course, marriage isn't for everyone, as you say. And an awful lot of people don't have any clue about choosing an appropriate spouse. I didn't the first time around, but made sure I educated myself thoroughly before trying again. Apparently, that has worked.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 PM

231 posts, read 294,701 times
I think in a lot of cases marriage fails not because of marriage itself. Marriage fails because of the lack of character between the parties involved. It's not a honeymoon, it's a commitment. You're going to have some good times and you're going to have some bad times but the important thing is that you keep communication open and devote yourself to that person.

I've never been married, so i might be a little bias. But I believe marriage can and should work in most cases, but spouses must be able to put in the effort.

& yeah there are people who are just dumb and marry the wrong person. But I believe the majority of people have no excuse.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:37 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Im curious how long did it take until you realized getting married wasnt really for you and that you had made a mistake or wished you never got married?

I just dont understand how people can live together for so many years stuck with the same person

I know marriage isnt for everybody, but Ive seen or known so many people that wasted their time marrying and remarrying one after another, I dont think I would ever want to experience that, it seems awful.
I would say 2 years.

I say that because you are transforming 2 lives together and it takes time.

After 2 years and you see they could care less about certain things... Sadly nothing is going to change.

For example: they throw their shoes, drape their coat and dump their junk on the table when they return home. Well, I think after I show the coat room, shoe box and shelf for junk they will get it and do it. Not so. After 2 years you realize they are not doing it. No way no how .

Old 09-11-2013, 02:20 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:

Just recently. I've been divorced twice but during those two marriages and subsequent divorces it wasn't the getting married that wasn't for me but the person I married and who the person I married had become. I actually believe marriage can be and often is a great thing. But at this point in my life I have considered that I just am not marriage material.

Personally, I stayed longer than I should have because I really tried to uphold my vows and make the marriage work.

I'm sure that in the marriages you have seen there were some good times as well and perhaps those people don't see their marriages as time wasted but as chapter in their lives.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:26 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,547,020 times
very few ppl get married with a plan to get divorced. i wouldn't call it a mistake either.

couples just discover that along the way differences have developed that are significant to one, or that being married to that person wasn't the experience they thought it would be.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,658,991 times
Unless something drastic changes, you should know within 1 year, and often times before you even marry, but you ignore the signs. Don't ignore the signs. If there's a little voice telling you that this person is not right for you, don't marry them. In hindsight,I knew on our first date, but I wanted him so bad anyway that I ignored the signs. I still wouldn't change anything that happened though. It was overall a good experience and I hope to marry again someday to a person who is a better fit for me. I am older and wiser now.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:37 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:

Not every relationship is going to work out, but if you go into it thinking that you're trapped and stuck with the same person, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:38 PM

706 posts, read 1,205,700 times
Everyone who gets married does so with the thought that it will be forever. I agree with Taoist guy, you NEED to know who you are marrying and what their expectations and ideas are about marriage. One can be in for a VERY rude awaking when they see the other person's ideas about marriage, if they don't match yours.

I have often said on this forum, there are three things that make a marriage work and you learn them in preschool:

1. Be nice
2. Don't be mean
3. share

That boils down to respect and you have to give love to get love. It takes two people to make a marriage work and you either work together or against one another. I'm pretty sure I don't need to tell you which one works best.

BTW everything gets boring, you need to find a way with your partner to make it interesting again.

Last edited by kat247; 09-11-2013 at 03:22 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 03:19 PM

207 posts, read 354,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post
Everyone who gets married does so with the thought that it will be forever. I agree with Toast guy, you NEED to know who you are marrying and what their expectations and ideas are about marriage. One can be in for a VERY rude awaking when they see the other person's ideas about marriage, if they don't match yours.

I have often said on this forum, there are three things that make a marriage work and you learn them in preschool:

1. Be nice
2. Don't be mean
3. share

That boils down to respect and you have to give love to get love. It takes two people to make a marriage work and you either work together or against one another. I'm pretty sure I don't need to tell you which one works best.

BTW everything gets boring, you need to find a way with your partner to make it interesting again.
This...exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships