Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:16 AM

5,305 posts, read 5,289,160 times

Advertisements

Im an old fart, and I like to text, much better than talking on the phone. I have only 2 friends that get windy on the phone, and I will put up with them because they are my friends. Others who call are generally work related, say what they have to say, and then hang up. Part of the reason I like texting is that I dont have to IMMEDIATELY answer, its there when I get around to it; unlike a phone call, which you have to answer to find out what is going on. I work and do a lot of work communication via text, if for no other reason than there is a record of what needs to be done and what has been done. Its great.

However, that being said, if someone texted me "whats up", not only would I not answer, but they would be deleted from my phone. My time is worth more than that. Plus exactly what intelligent answer is there to that oh so serious question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 08:38 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,529,686 times
I'm somewhat neurotic and OCD with my phone. I hate seeing loads of unread emails, texts, updates. Those little red indicators have to be cleared! I am really good at replying right away but what I hate is being in the middle of a text-versation and the person just stops replying?! Did you just die, did your phone crap out?

I make it a point to either say "hey walking into X I'll let you know soon" or "my phone is on it's deathbed, will reply when I charge it up". Bottom line is it doesn't take but .2 seconds to send a quick not that you are busy or about to be busy. HUGE pet peeve of mine and some of my friends do it.

I know you look at and have your phone on you ALL the time, so reply!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:50 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,231,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I'm somewhat neurotic and OCD with my phone. I hate seeing loads of unread emails, texts, updates. Those little red indicators have to be cleared! I am really good at replying right away but what I hate is being in the middle of a text-versation and the person just stops replying?! Did you just die, did your phone crap out?

I make it a point to either say "hey walking into X I'll let you know soon" or "my phone is on it's deathbed, will reply when I charge it up". Bottom line is it doesn't take but .2 seconds to send a quick not that you are busy or about to be busy. HUGE pet peeve of mine and some of my friends do it.

What if the conversation has reached the end? Does there always have to be a goodbye? Part of texting that I like is that I don't have to respond immediately. Like I said earlier, if you want to carry on a conversation, just call. I don't expect people to be waiting in pins and needles for my next text.

Most people aren't looking at their phones 24/7.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM

29,807 posts, read 34,705,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post

I simply don't feel like I owe it to people on my contact list to explain where I am at all times so they don't get twitchy. If I'm in a movie or I just don't feel like responding right this second, I don't have to. If they don't like it, that's on them. They know who I am.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:57 AM

523 posts, read 843,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Have any other guys gotten sick of girls telling them they're "bad texters?" I understand we have busy lives and whatnot but it doesn't take but 1 minute to say "hey I'm busy ttyl" instead you'll hear NOTHING at all. It's like one minute she takes .2 seconds to respond to your texts for hours, then BAM! Nothing, even though iMessage says she read your message. Ladies we don't need to keep you in check knowing brushing your doing but if you get busy let us know, don't just leave us hanging.

Sometimes it worse than that, sometimes girls take hours to reply to a simple "hey what's up" the reply of kts not the one worded "hey" is usually "sorry I'm a bad texter" BS you're not a bad texter, you're just texting 64 other dudes. These same girls who claim to be such "bad texters" CONSTANTLY have their phones in their hand when you do go on a date with them.

Ladies you need to stop that crap, it's just rude.

One of my major red flags with women is a bad texter.
Why do you need immediate gratification?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 AM

816 posts, read 1,955,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
Most people over 30 aren't looking at their phones 24/7.
Fixed it.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:47 AM

29,807 posts, read 34,705,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Fixed it.
Is that supposed to be an insult?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
Why do you need immediate gratification?
If you're over 35 years old asking this question to someone from "Generation Millenium" such as me, don't even bother.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Is that supposed to be an insult?
Absolutely not, don't take that as an insult. It's the truth. No, I don't speak for all, but an observation.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:02 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,396,893 times
Tell her to meet you somewhere that evening at a specific time and then end the text. She'll respond immediately. Don't start off a conversation with, what's up. This actually sounds like you're keeping tabs on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships