Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 11:43 AM

35,121 posts, read 31,396,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
They have better luck with bisexual or pansexual men.
This. I'm bi, and have been with transwomen sexually, but never a serious relationship. I might consider it, but it's still fairly unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 11:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
Some including myself don't see it that way. To me it's no different than a white person who thinks they're black. Them identifying as black doesn't make them black to everyone and you telling them they're wrong doesn't mean anything.

You're right, there are people that believe the earth is flat too, and telling someone that believes that despite how wrong they are won't mean anything to them.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:54 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,714,108 times
Quote:
Some including myself don't see it that way. To me it's no different than a white person who thinks they're black. Them identifying as black doesn't make them black to everyone and you telling them they're wrong doesn't mean anything.
If a white person says that they are black, I'm not going to argue with them. I don't really care how anyone wants to identify. I'm not the identity police. I do not have time to run around after the billions of human beings on this planet, forcing them to stay in the comfortably little defined boxes that I'm expecting to see them in.

But I have to laugh sometimes, considering that some are uncomfortable around a former man, who now identifies as a femme woman, and looks and acts the part, and act like that's some kind of an imposition on them, to think of this very feminine person as being female just because they are aware that they are/were in some manner biologically otherwise.

Yeah, you want a REAL challenge? Befriend a non-binary person who presents as androgynous, no gender performance at all, and uses "they/their/them" pronouns. I know a couple of 'em. Or a person who appears completely masculine yet is called by a female name and uses female pronouns for reasons that are none of your damn business. Just another day in the life for me, trying to remember to address these folks correctly (per their preference.)

I mean, I could be like you guys and refuse or avoid them or yell at them that they are "still a man" or whatever, but that would make me look like a jerk, and I'm not a jerk. I'm pretty nice. So...I do my best.

Or I guess I could stop hanging out where "weird people" are but then I'd be bored. And boring. No thanks.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:57 AM

52,338 posts, read 52,791,864 times
Quote:

Biology is what it is. I don't really have any skin in the game here. I don't care what people do in these terms. I have my opinions but I've recently sorta just made a conscious decision to say screw it. I'll be as respectful as I can when it comes to this sort of thing.

I'll call you whatever term/label/nomenclature you want.

I also expect the same respect back, that means not forcing others to expect to date you.

I won't tread on you, and you shouldn't tread on me. You do you, and I' do me. I say this as the general "you" not singling out this poster here that I quoted.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:59 AM

34,257 posts, read 18,628,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
A transwoman is a woman. It's fine to be only attracted to ciswomen. But your statement is incorrect.
I consider a person male, or female to be how they were born, not who they become, or want to become through other means. So if you are a male, and have surgery, and take drugs to become, a "female", in my mind you are still a male. YMMV.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:00 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Biology is what it is. I don't really have any skin in the game here. I don't care what people do in these terms. I have my opinions but I've recently sorta just made a conscious decision to say screw it. I'll be as respectful as I can when it comes to this sort of thing.

Biology is what it is. But gender is a social construct. We are not talking about biological sex or chromosomes, but of observed, for lack of a better word, phenotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I consider a person male, or female to be how they were born, not who they become, or want to become through other means. So if you are a male, and have surgery, and take drugs to become, a "female", in my mind you are still a male. YMMV.
And yet many people are born neither, and even more you would never have any idea how they are born, and you, and everyone else, reacts to their observed gender.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:13 PM

880 posts, read 1,253,726 times
I really don't see why I have to accept people who don't accept themselves.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:16 PM

77 posts, read 59,833 times
Why not, if there is "chemistry" simply: why not?

Old 04-30-2018, 12:53 PM

710 posts, read 585,762 times
I couldn’t, the fact that the transwoman was born a male is something that I wouldn’t be able to get past. I’m not interested in people who are or were male at any point. I don’t see trans women the same as I see natural-born women.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:09 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,558,682 times
Would I date a transperson? Yes. I would also be friends with a transperson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

I'll call you whatever term/label/nomenclature you want.

I also expect the same respect back, that means not forcing others to expect to date you.

I won't tread on you, and you shouldn't tread on me. You do you, and I' do me. I say this as the general "you" not singling out this poster here that I quoted.
OMG! Someone FORCED others to expect to date a transperson?! Or were you personally FORCED to ... whatever. Never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
If a white person says that they are black, I'm not going to argue with them. I don't really care how anyone wants to identify. I'm not the identity police. I do not have time to run around after the billions of human beings on this planet, forcing them to stay in the comfortably little defined boxes that I'm expecting to see them in.

But I have to laugh sometimes, considering that some are uncomfortable around a former man, who now identifies as a femme woman, and looks and acts the part, and act like that's some kind of an imposition on them, to think of this very feminine person as being female just because they are aware that they are/were in some manner biologically otherwise.

Yeah, you want a REAL challenge? Befriend a non-binary person who presents as androgynous, no gender performance at all, and uses "they/their/them" pronouns. I know a couple of 'em. Or a person who appears completely masculine yet is called by a female name and uses female pronouns for reasons that are none of your damn business. Just another day in the life for me, trying to remember to address these folks correctly (per their preference.)

I mean, I could be like you guys and refuse or avoid them or yell at them that they are "still a man" or whatever, but that would make me look like a jerk, and I'm not a jerk. I'm pretty nice. So...I do my best.

Or I guess I could stop hanging out where "weird people" are but then I'd be bored. And boring. No thanks.
I love this post. I am one of those "weird people" and we love having you hang out with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
I really don't see why I have to accept people who don't accept themselves.
You don't HAVE to accept anyone, no one said that. The OP simply asks would you date a transperson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships