Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 03:07 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Well, I wouldn't base my perceptions on transpersons by a video or video clips on youtube. But that is just me.

Fetal position? Good put down.
I think (hope?) that Chow was saying something along the lines of life being hard and lonely and such for all people more or less, and we all gotta do whatever it takes to get out of bed and function each day. I'm taking the "fetal position" comment as a metaphor for general struggles with life's difficulties, not a slam on trans people in particular.

(That's just how I was interpreting that, though.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 03:10 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think (hope?) that Chow was saying something along the lines of life being hard and lonely and such for all people more or less, and we all gotta do whatever it takes to get out of bed and function each day. I'm taking the "fetal position" comment as a metaphor for general struggles with life's difficulties, not a slam on trans people in particular.

(That's just how I was interpreting that, though.)
Of course that's how I meant it.

That poster is just aching and itching and just looking to get offended. See that type all of the time.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:26 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Of course that's how I meant it.

That poster is just aching and itching and just looking to get offended. See that type all of the time.
I try not to assume (by that I mean, about you, or about them)...I know I've struggled with the whole "tone does not convey in posted text" thing before. I've misinterpreted, and I've BEEN misinterpreted. *shrug*

Old 04-30-2018, 05:01 PM

710 posts, read 584,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
OMG! Someone FORCED others to expect to date a transperson?! Or were you personally FORCED to ... whatever. Never mind.
Maybe not "forced", but there are some people out there who believe that not dating trans people is a form of discrimination.

https://rightedition.com/wp-content/...017/07/1-1.jpg

https://medium.com/@QSE/when-you-say...y-aa6fdcf59aca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X-PgHSZh6U

India Willoughby: Is it discriminatory to refuse to date a trans woman? - BBC News

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/n...ference-debate

The funny thing is that for "dating discrimination" to even be a thing, you have to believe on some level that people are entitled to dates and or entitled to a fair dating world where everyone is given a fair shot. I can empathize with the dating struggles of trans people because I'm sure it's hard with them being such a small minority, but insulting and putting labels on people who won't date you is being ridiculous.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:47 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
Maybe not "forced", but there are some people out there who believe that not dating trans people is a form of discrimination.

https://rightedition.com/wp-content/...017/07/1-1.jpg

https://medium.com/@QSE/when-you-say...y-aa6fdcf59aca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X-PgHSZh6U

India Willoughby: Is it discriminatory to refuse to date a trans woman? - BBC News

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/n...ference-debate

The funny thing is that for "dating discrimination" to even be a thing, you have to believe on some level that people are entitled to dates and or entitled to a fair dating world where everyone is given a fair shot. I can empathize with the dating struggles of trans people because I'm sure it's hard with them being such a small minority, but insulting and putting labels on people who won't date you is being ridiculous.
Am I discriminating against trans people for not choosing to date them? Hell yes! Same way I discriminate against men, Christians, Blue Lives Matter activists, Trump supporters, and women who want kids. My bedroom is not an equal opportunity employer.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:48 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
I don't agree with that video.

I think we all have preferences. Things we have dreamed about since childhood that surmise what we are attracted to. Is it discrimination? Maybe, in the sense that I have a discriminating palette. Some foods and drink I love, look for a certain quality in them, etc.

I don't think love is a right. I believe love is a privilege. Like driving, voting or any other privileges we achieve in life. Love is not something that anyone can take for granted.

I'm sorry. I'm just too darned old to wrap my head around dating a woman who is living like a man. I'm young enough to accept someone else doing it, but too old to do it myself. C'est la vie.

And, now I'm annoyed that I have to go learn what a 'cis-' is. Give me a freakin' break please.

0Oh hell no! I am a woman. Eve! The original. I don't need a prefix to be what I have ALWAYS been.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 04-30-2018 at 06:01 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 06:48 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Biology is what it is. But gender is a social construct. We are not talking about biological sex or chromosomes, but of observed, for lack of a better word, phenotype.
Er, no, it isn't. I mean, it is to the transgender community, that's where the whole idea of it being a "social construct" was born. But to many others (myself included) gender is absolutely biological. Some people want to redefine it for their own purposes, clearly.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:57 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Er, no, it isn't. I mean, it is to the transgender community, that's where the whole idea of it being a "social construct" was born. But to many others (myself included) gender is absolutely biological. Some people want to redefine it for their own purposes, clearly.

Nope. Because we see that there are, and have been through out history, societies with more than two binary genders (some societies even millennia ago had a dozen genders, but 3+ gender societies have been found throughout recorded history on almost every continent) .

Biological sex is biological (even then there are people outside of the XX and XY chromosome binary system), but gender absolutely is a social construct, and the number varies from society to society.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:53 PM

814 posts, read 760,103 times
Okay, so for those few who's chromosomes are different. They can decide how they'd like to identify.

Not every Tommy or Susanne who feels like they're the opposite gender

Old 04-30-2018, 09:18 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I do not care who dates who. I do not care about ones sexual preferences. That said, I want the real physical thing, not some surgical altered thing......of course unless a real good altered job. There was this girl one time........nevermind......LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships