Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 01:09 PM

20,401 posts, read 14,689,603 times

Advertisements

Guess my take on it is...I don't think that anyone who goes to ALL THAT EFFORT to become, to whatever extent is possible, another gender, is expecting an easy path. You would have to be blind-stupid to be unaware of how challenging it would be. If it is truly that important to a person to do, then I'm certainly not there to add to their difficulties in any way.

But at the same time, I don't think anyone has a vested interest in trying to pressure someone to date people they don't want to date. Let us imagine for one moment it were even possible for one of you guys here, who would be disturbed by a partner being trans, to force yourself to accept it. Who wants a partner who had to force themselves to accept you? No one wants that. No one with any sense. I certainly wouldn't want to date anyone who did not WANT me.

There is a great big grey area where you neither have to date somebody to make a point, nor do you have to direct any negativity at them. Chow has the right idea. Live and let live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 01:11 PM

814 posts, read 760,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
If a white person says that they are black, I'm not going to argue with them. I don't really care how anyone wants to identify. I'm not the identity police. I do not have time to run around after the billions of human beings on this planet, forcing them to stay in the comfortably little defined boxes that I'm expecting to see them in.

But I have to laugh sometimes, considering that some are uncomfortable around a former man, who now identifies as a femme woman, and looks and acts the part, and act like that's some kind of an imposition on them, to think of this very feminine person as being female just because they are aware that they are/were in some manner biologically otherwise.

Yeah, you want a REAL challenge? Befriend a non-binary person who presents as androgynous, no gender performance at all, and uses "they/their/them" pronouns. I know a couple of 'em. Or a person who appears completely masculine yet is called by a female name and uses female pronouns for reasons that are none of your damn business. Just another day in the life for me, trying to remember to address these folks correctly (per their preference.)

I mean, I could be like you guys and refuse or avoid them or yell at them that they are "still a man" or whatever, but that would make me look like a jerk, and I'm not a jerk. I'm pretty nice. So...I do my best.

Or I guess I could stop hanging out where "weird people" are but then I'd be bored. And boring. No thanks.
Not sure what you're talking about. They can identify however they want, makes no difference to me. But that doesn't mean I have to see them as. O never said they have to do.........

Actually someone telling someone else they're wrong is playing identity police. So you completely lost me on this

Old 04-30-2018, 01:33 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,748,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Would I date a transperson? Yes. I would also be friends with a transperson.

OMG! Someone FORCED others to expect to date a transperson?! Or were you personally FORCED to ... whatever. Never mind.

I love this post. I am one of those "weird people" and we love having you hang out with us.

You don't HAVE to accept anyone, no one said that. The OP simply asks would you date a transperson.
A good while back someone posted a link to some YouTube clips where trans people were seriously upset that they weren't being asked out by men. It was two women, former men and they were both having a serious hissy fits in the vids.

That's all I was talking about, just because you transitioned doesn't mean the world will go along with the program.

Heck, that's how it works across any subject. No one gives a flying you know what about you. I don't mean you you, again, the general you. People don't have to accept anything about anyone, not until the thought police get in charge and that's coming soon enough as it is.

I have no interest in dating a trans woman, sue me. I have no ill will toward trans people, I wish them all the best that life has to offer. Life can be hard and long and lonely. Go find whatever it is that makes ya wanna get out from the fetal position is all I can say.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
Not sure what you're talking about. They can identify however they want, makes no difference to me. But that doesn't mean I have to see them as. O never said they have to do.........

Actually someone telling someone else they're wrong is playing identity police. So you completely lost me on this
I interact socially with a number of transpeople. I could:

-Use the pronouns that they have asked for.
-Use other pronouns besides that, which would be considered rude (at the very least.)
-Ignore them and avoid them, to whatever degree.

That is the extent to which how I "see" people comes into play. Some of the responses I have seen here, point to some folks who in my situation might feel some urge to not only do the second option, but to go right on ahead and tell them, "No, you're wrong, you are a man, not a woman" (in the case of a transwoman) and that would not be accepted in my social group, in the slightest. Nor would I do that, because it would make me look like a jerk.

Yours was the last post (at the time of my earlier response) on the subject of transpeople simply insisting on something "wrong" that everyone around them, as though they were a white person claiming to be black, knew otherwise. Well, I guess you're as welcome to think what you think as anybody...but it doesn't make you more right.

I guess an issue I've got with this whole thing of denying people...identity rights, if you will...or respect of their efforts to shape themselves to feel more at home in their own skin... Is the notion that a person has a right to say, "My opinion is objective fact to the point that I will dictate matters of another human being's very identity to them." If one is mad at the transperson for messing with the reality they believe in (where men are men, and women are women, and that's that) at least the transperson's doings really are centered on their own self, not on other people. For me there is a question of liberty involved.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
A good while back someone posted a link to some YouTube clips where trans people were seriously upset that they weren't being asked out by men. It was two women, former men and they were both having a serious hissy fits in the vids.

That's all I was talking about, just because you transitioned doesn't mean the world will go along with the program.

Heck, that's how it works across any subject. No one gives a flying you know what about you. I don't mean you you, again, the general you. People don't have to accept anything about anyone, not until the thought police get in charge and that's coming soon enough as it is.

I have no interest in dating a trans woman, sue me. I have no ill will toward trans people, I wish them all the best that life has to offer. Life can be hard and long and lonely. Go find whatever it is that makes ya wanna get out from the fetal position is all I can say.
It is true that some humans are very dramatic.

I do try to limit my engagement with them, regardless of identity or orientation.

Hissy fits are not attractive. If those transwomen were here, I would advise them that they might get asked out more, if they didn't throw hissy fits and post them on the internet.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:47 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,748,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It is true that some humans are very dramatic.

I do try to limit my engagement with them, regardless of identity or orientation.

Hissy fits are not attractive. If those transwomen were here, I would advise them that they might get asked out more, if they didn't throw hissy fits and post them on the internet.
No, hissy fits aren't a good look on anyone, gay, straight or any of the 15 gender identities that I think the Canadians now officially recognize.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:58 PM

880 posts, read 1,252,642 times
Traditional family values are the counterculture now.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:02 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,970,091 times
Date a man trying to be a woman? I'll pass.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
Sorry but only cisgender women qualify to date the Diss. There is one post-op trans woman who is a up and coming plus size model I find extremely attractive. I’d be in love if I didn’t know she was trans. She is up front about being trans which makes me appreciate her more.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:56 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,548,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Well, I wouldn't base my perceptions on transpersons by a video or video clips on youtube. But that is just me.

Fetal position? Good put down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships