Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 06:04 AM

832 posts, read 1,419,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
I started lurking recently through the websites, and my God, some of these Dominican women and Brasileiras make me want to spend my life savings on them.

I'm seriously thinking about this. A lot of these women come from "family-centric" countries.
It depends what you're looking for.

I've seen a lot of "mail order" brides who turned into bridezillas who dumped the man at exactly three years when she was pregnant with her real love child fathered by the man you thought was her cousin or roommate. But I've seen others too where she was 20-30 years younger and stayed with the man to the end.

It's going to be like any other relationship, 50-50.

If you're willing to risk that she only wants a green card and you're only going to be with her for about three years, and you may only have awkward sex 10 times, then do it.

A little word to the wise though, depending on where you two end up, immigration field office wise, you may encounter an officer who knows more about your blushing bride and how she came to the US and with who, than you do. So with that in mind, if you end up at an interview, pay attention to how the officer conducts the interview questions and take your cues from that, if you're really in love with her.

If there is no overt bias on the part of the officer that you can articulate (Overt that you can articulate, not just "The officer was rude to my Russian wife, therefore, he hates Russians."), and the officer offers to let you withdrawal your petition... Withdrawal it and end the marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 06:21 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,937,984 times
I advised my son to look overseas, but he never did and he is now married to his new boss. I'd definitely suggest trying it, but just take it slow, travel to the country to meet them, and take your time before you jump into marriage.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:22 PM

322 posts, read 585,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right! I remember that thread... and some others...
To make a long story short, she's a skank and I owe my parents a lot of money.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:27 PM

52,347 posts, read 52,808,634 times
Common sense should tell you that the whole premise of the mail order bride doesn't sound like it is gonna end well.

It may work, but most likely it won't.

The women are desperate to get out of their homelands and get citizenship here.

I don't see "love" entering the equation.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:11 AM

782 posts, read 1,088,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Common sense should tell you that the whole premise of the mail order bride doesn't sound like it is gonna end well.

It may work, but most likely it won't.

The women are desperate to get out of their homelands and get citizenship here.

I don't see "love" entering the equation.
The term; "Mail-Order-Bride" no longer applies. Modern day international dating sites are no different than domestic only sites.
Many 3rd world countries have laws in place now to prevent the traditional 'fly a bunch of guys over to meet a bunch of women for 2 weeks' type of service.

I personally have placed 'boots on the ground' for months to date one women from overseas. I personally, would not to this if my only option was a 2 week vacation to find someone. But that's just me.

To anyone considering this, I suggest getting a leave of absence from work for a few months vs. just a short vacation.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:09 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,209,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
To make a long story short, she's a skank and I owe my parents a lot of money.
What have you learned?

Old 09-25-2013, 10:22 PM

305 posts, read 377,108 times
I know a guy who found a mail order bride from eastern Europe. He: fugly but has some wealth. She: gorgeous and poor. Long story short, she used him for citizenship and his money. Married in 2008. Divorced in 2011. lol

Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,641,712 times
No I don't have any experience with a mail-order bride nor do I know someone with a mail order bride. I do know many gals with a mail-order husband and the gals are extremely happy.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:48 PM

887 posts, read 1,101,466 times
I have a friend/aquaintance who has a mail order bride. It is his 5th wife. The only time he talks about her is when she is apparently driving him crazy. HAHAHA

Old 12-17-2013, 03:51 PM

44,382 posts, read 20,102,658 times
I know a man with a mail order bride. They've been married for 11 years and seem very happy.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships