Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where did you meet your current boyfriend/girlfriend
Dating site 19 19.19%
Bar or club 10 10.10%
Gym, yoga, sporting activity 0 0%
Work, job, internship 18 18.18%
College, high school, community college 16 16.16%
Through friends 13 13.13%
Through family 2 2.02%
Internet (non-dating site) 11 11.11%
Church or other religious venue 3 3.03%
Randomly met 7 7.07%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 05:49 AM

17,647 posts, read 22,673,325 times

Advertisements

A women/ men bowling league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 09:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,386,567 times
We happened to sit next to each other every day at a class in college, and one day, I decided to ask her out. That was in 1972, we have now been married for 48 years.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:03 AM

7,963 posts, read 3,502,935 times
I was casually dating her friend. She let her friend know she was interested in me more than casually, so her friend stepped out of the way. It was the best "we need to talk" discussion I ever had. "Hey we both knew this wasn't going anywhere but if it makes you feel any better, that friend of mine you were always checking out is really in to you. Here's her number." lol

Old 06-13-2022, 11:12 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,045,784 times
I met him online but not on a dating site. Until then I was mostly doing things the old-school way. My DH and I were on a common interest board and we just hit it off. We were married in 2002.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:29 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,063,688 times
A girl my sister and I knew had a party.

Six months earlier, I had gone to New Zealand. One of the things I did was bungee jump off a bridge in New Zealand, a 180-foot drop. I mean, hey, the 6-foot, blue-eyed blonde German beauty I was backpacking with wanted me to do it.

Fast forward to this party. My sister blabbed that I bungee jumped to someone. A few minutes later this woman strolls up and says, "I need to meet the idiot who bungee jumped off a bridge." It was weird, like a door opened up and all I needed to do was walk through it. Her blind date stood by uncomfortably for the next twenty minutes while we talked about it.

A week later was our first date. Three months later, we were engaged. A little more than ten months after we met, we were married. Our first meeting was 32 years ago June 9.

Old 06-13-2022, 11:54 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,010,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post

Sorry for the thread bump but I'm newly sober and since I've only ever had luck through bars I'm curious as to which new avenue I should take to women (because I don't go to bars anymore).
I suggest through hobbies - sports/clubs/nature

Old 06-13-2022, 12:01 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,714,108 times
We both had profiles on a site that was related to an interest that we share. It has an "events" link that shows local happenings wherever one happens to be. He'd spotted my profile and noted a number of areas of common ground, and sent me a message that was very "no pressure, I think we'd get along, cool if I say hi at this upcoming event?" Pointed out that he was also a fan of some of the books, shows, etc that I'd mentioned I like. It wasn't a "we should date!" kind of intro. He was friendly and I'm friendly by default, so I was like sure, ain't nobody stoppin' ya, come and say hello!

I was at the social gathering at a cool downtown bar (which has sadly since gone through several unfortunate management changes and finally closed, I think)...and he came and found me, and we ended up out on the patio talking for several hours. By the end of that conversation, he was playing it cool on the outside but super excited and nervous for real...and I was intrigued and game to see where things could go.

I had, I think 2 days prior to this, had my tubes tied. I was still feeling a little weak, up to going out, as long as I could just sit and hang out someplace, which is what I was doing. But I was walking a little slowly and carefully, like one does after having any kind of surgery even if it was pretty minor and healing really well and all. So I mentioned that as we got to the table on the patio, "Sorry I'm a little wobbly, I'm still recovering from having my tubes tied" and he says that really got his attention and at that point he was pretty determined to do whatever he could to see about building a connection with me. He has absolutely never, ever wanted to have kids, so along with other factors, he felt like I was just about a perfect match for what he was looking for in a partner.

That was in 2015. We moved in together in 2017 and got married in 2020.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:11 PM

647 posts, read 1,525,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnitjanet View Post
What about AA?
I haven't been to AA yet. I imagine it being mostly depressed middle aged men but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:14 PM
bu2

24,118 posts, read 14,931,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
I haven't been to AA yet. I imagine it being mostly depressed middle aged men but maybe I'm wrong.
I actually know someone who got engaged with someone they met through AA. Don't know how it turned out, but they did get to engagement.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:20 PM

647 posts, read 1,525,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
We both had profiles on a site that was related to an interest that we share. It has an "events" link that shows local happenings wherever one happens to be. He'd spotted my profile and noted a number of areas of common ground, and sent me a message that was very "no pressure, I think we'd get along, cool if I say hi at this upcoming event?" Pointed out that he was also a fan of some of the books, shows, etc that I'd mentioned I like. It wasn't a "we should date!" kind of intro. He was friendly and I'm friendly by default, so I was like sure, ain't nobody stoppin' ya, come and say hello!
Which site was it if you don't mind me asking? Also, I like how he just said he wanted to talk to you at first and didn't put pressure on you. I'm going to have to remember to do that lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships