Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Being blatant with women
Yes, its good she knows what you want 30 90.91%
No, pretend to be her friend 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:09 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Yes, at 27 I don't want to date or be hit on by someone old enough to be my father.

It's creepy discrimination.
Tell me about it. I'm only 1 year younger than you and has a mid 40 year-old man hitting on me.

For sure that guy is old enough to have grandchildren and who knows if he was even married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Who effin cares... just talk to them and see where it goes. If she likes you she'll wanna hang out. If not, you'll be able to tell.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:16 AM

448 posts, read 764,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Tell me about it. I'm only 1 year younger than you and has a mid 40 year-old man hitting on me.

For sure that guy is old enough to have grandchildren and who knows if he was even married.
Just out of curiosity -I'm actually younger than you by they way- why is that so bad?

I get hit on by older women who I would never date some times and I think its funny and I might even humor them a bit. Good morale boost and if I'm at a bar I can get free drinks as a man, that's pretty special.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:18 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetTroll View Post
Just out of curiosity -I'm actually younger than you by they way- why is that so bad?

I get hit on by older women who I would never date some times and I think its funny and I might even humor them a bit. Good morale boost and if I'm at a bar I can get free drinks as a man, that's pretty special.
Because older men can be relentless, say inappropriate things, attempt to touch and even sometimes follow around young women.

I've had several instances when out at a bar my guy friends have had to step in because an older man (40+) would not leave me alone after I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I've also had quite a few grab my ass in broad daylight. Yea...no thanks.

I've never actually experienced this kind of behavior from men my own age.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Who effin cares... just talk to them and see where it goes. If she likes you she'll wanna hang out. If not, you'll be able to tell.
If she's not interested I can tell, and if she really wants it me I can tell. There a lot of situations that could go both ways though. I mean what if she's not really even sure? Even hanging out can go both ways.

Just talking to her means I have to put a lot of time into someone I'm probably not going to be great friends with outside of dating.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Because older men can be relentless, say inappropriate things, attempt to touch and even sometimes follow me around young women.

I've had several instances when out at a bar my guy friends have had to step in because an older man (40+) would not leave me alone after I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I've also had quite a few grab my ass in broad daylight. Yea...no thanks.

I've never actually experienced this kind of behavior from men my own age.
So you mean perverts, not 50 year old men.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
So you mean perverts, not 50 year old men.
I just avoid them altogether (besides strictly professional/work environments) and don't want to strike up conversations that may lead to flirting or inappropriate behavior.

I've had enough bad experiences.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times
Quote:

I don't wanna date someone old enough to be my father. If I'm 26, the age range preference for me is 25-30 years old.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:26 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
This was sparked by some comments in another thread that went awry.

Some of the posters made it sound like women don't want to be hit on/picked up/blatantly flirted with at all.

I've thought they either like you or they don't and you're better off making it known that the reason you're talking to her is to get to know her with the intention of dating her. This is opposed to pretending you want to just be her friend first.

This is in the context of meeting new women, not people you already know.

Also this isn't PUA level corny crap. I mean things like complementing her, flirting, and just generally making it obvious you like her and want to get her on a date. I'm not talking about plying games either.
There's a big difference between inappropriate come-ons and honest expressions of interest.

The problem isn't that men "approach" women. The problem is they often do it in ways or at times where they shouldn't. For example, a few days back, I saw a man hit on a random woman he saw at a bus stop. Totally inappropriate situation. When she turned him down, he got belligerent, calling her a "stuck up *****" and stalking off with a scowl. I mean, seriously?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:27 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
This was sparked by some comments in another thread that went awry.

Some of the posters made it sound like women don't want to be hit on/picked up/blatantly flirted with at all.

I've thought they either like you or they don't and you're better off making it known that the reason you're talking to her is to get to know her with the intention of dating her. This is opposed to pretending you want to just be her friend first.

This is in the context of meeting new women, not people you already know.

Also this isn't PUA level corny crap. I mean things like complementing her, flirting, and just generally making it obvious you like her and want to get her on a date. I'm not talking about plying games either.
The thing that gets old is this never ending mentality that women are "either for dating or not for dating". And there is no in between.
I'm not exactly saying the OP feels this way toward women, but reading this thread, I really get this vibe.

When I talk to a woman, I'm not instantly trying to get in her pants. Some women, I may go immediately ga-ga over, but that doesnt mean I lie awake at night scheming on how to hook up with her.

I really enjoy having female friends. I think I enjoy women as friends more than most guys.
Sometimes an attraction grows, sometimes it doesnt, but that's not the point.
I live life taking a step at a time with this kind of stuff. And if she doesn't want me, I dont feel like i wasted my time and 'move on to the next'.

Even when I'm dating someone or trying to date them, one requirement I have is that we actually have a friendship. I know many guys actually skip this part. Hard to imagine right? But I kind of define friend different maybe. To me, a real friend is more than a party buddy, or a booty call. A friend to me is someone you can hang out with sober, and still have fun, without intimacy or trying to get intimate (faking a friendship). Sometimes such times do lead to sex. But it isn't my end all be all goal.

Some women are good at recognizing when a dude is trying to hook up with her. Thats why you sometimes hear about women that go to a bar, but they don't really want to be bothered by guys. Most guys at the bar are horny. And most guys approaching women have the intent to hook up. I said most, not all. Have I been that guy? Of course. But at the same time, if I approach a woman at a bar, and we never become more than platonic friends, I still consider that a huge win. Problem is, since many women know the deal, this is difficult to achieve, and also, many many women have 'enough friends' already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships