Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipU View Post
Also, JetJockey, could you relate some of your time dating the 5' 4" person? Or anyone shorter than you? Did you feel any awkwardness with it? One main thought (as silly as it may be) that I keep having is the idea of holding hands. With my hands larger than his, I'd feel embarrassed, lol.
Of course! I thought he was pretty great, he played banjo I was a mandolin player at the time and we got along extremely well. We went on a few dates and I never felt less feminine around him or felt like it was a big deal. Turns out, he felt weird about it and his friends started making fun of him for dating 'Godzilla' and 'the big fat chick' so he broke up with me. He ended up marrying a much shorter/smaller woman a few years later and they seem very happy together.

I'm really tall so I guess dating smaller/shorter guys was never an issue for me because MOST men are shorter than me. I've been rejected quite a few times by short guys though and the meanest rejections have been from men who were at least a few inches shorter than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 07:45 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Of course! I thought he was pretty great, he played banjo I was a mandolin player at the time and we got along extremely well. We went on a few dates and I never felt less feminine around him or felt like it was a big deal. Turns out, he felt weird about it and his friends started making fun of him for dating 'Godzilla' and 'the big fat chick' so he broke up with me. He ended up marrying a much shorter/smaller woman a few years later and they seem very happy together.

I'm really tall so I guess dating smaller/shorter guys was never an issue for me because MOST men are shorter than me. I've been rejected quite a few times by short guys though and the meanest rejections have been from men who were at least a few inches shorter than me.
How tall are you

Old 10-25-2013, 08:18 PM

368 posts, read 577,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busse_Reeve View Post
Oh, "they" will, but should stick it out for someone the same or taller. ^^

I wouldn't want to be a "little man" like him ^...get knocked out with one punch and carried by an amazon woman. lmao
I tried so hard not to laugh but LMFAOOO!!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Honey, I'm 5'10, and I've been 5'9 for most of my younger years. So yeah, I've been taller than a lot of people. Height doesn't really bother me.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:58 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,817,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeViolationMcEnroe View Post
I'm a short guy and I really take offense to this. I've always been a funny, life-of-the-party guy, even before I was insecure about my height (which, unsurprisingly, happened only once I started to pursue women a few years ago). It's stupid to think that people view me as "compensating" just because I'm a funny guy. Women have such outrageous prejudices against short guys.
Then "Show me the funny!", because I have yet to see anything close to a sense of humor in any of your posts.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:13 AM

134 posts, read 214,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Then "Show me the funny!", because I have yet to see anything close to a sense of humor in any of your posts.
Whatever. Most people who know me in real life think I'm funny. The biggest confidence boost I ever got was when I was at a party and my friend introduced me to a group of girls by saying, "This is Jason. He's basically a comedian." But now I'm all self-conscious because I realize that short guys who are funny are perceived as compensating by women. I guess I'll try to not make jokes in the future. I'll just be quiet. If I talk too much, I'm viewed as a short guy exhibiting Short Man Syndrome by diverting attention to himself. Then again, if I'm too quiet, I'm perceived as a small, passive, weak guy. It's a fine line to tread. You can't really win if you're a short guy.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:10 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
Quote:
Whatever. Most people who know me in real life think I'm funny. The biggest confidence boost I ever got was when I was at a party and my friend introduced me to a group of girls by saying, "This is Jason. He's basically a comedian." But now I'm all self-conscious because I realize that short guys who are funny are perceived as compensating by women. I guess I'll try to not make jokes in the future. I'll just be quiet. If I talk too much, I'm viewed as a short guy exhibiting Short Man Syndrome by diverting attention to himself. Then again, if I'm too quiet, I'm perceived as a small, passive, weak guy. It's a fine line to tread. You can't really win if you're a short guy.
His friend was probably talking about somebody else, since his name's not Jason.

But....poof! He's gone again. Took longer than usual this time, I wonder what his next handle will be?

Old 10-26-2013, 08:26 AM

27 posts, read 36,431 times
Quote:
I feel like you didn't read everything I wrote then. Because even if someone's funny to compensate for being short, I like funny people, which is why I'm attracted to this guy. It's not like I've turned him down when he asked to hang out, I even just hung out with him last night, but we're still in just like a friend area. I don't know for sure if it will become anything more, it's kind of up to him to make that decision, because I'm just not gonna have the confidence to make that first move, lol. But my concern is if there is the chance, whether I'd push him away (like I pretty much have with every other guy, regardless of size), because of my insecurities.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Honey, I'm 5'10, and I've been 5'9 for most of my younger years. So yeah, I've been taller than a lot of people. Height doesn't really bother me.
So, you've dated guys shorter than you? If you wouldn't mind, could you relate some of your experiences? As far as the feminine thing goes, was it ever an issue with you? And I'm coming from a perspective where I've never been that feminine (I grew up with just my dad, lol).

Old 10-26-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I'm sorry that he was too insecure himself! But it's good to know that at least you had the confidence. If you don't mind me asking, are you rather feminine in general? I'm just curious to know whether you're already feminine enough to be secure, or feeling feminine isn't an important issue with you?

I always make jokes with friends about how I'm not feminine, and I lived with three guys for a time, and always joked that I was the most masculine one of them (they were pretty girly though, haha). And I'm fine with things like that, but with the idea of becoming close to any type of guy, tall or short, whatever size, I feel like I'm supposed to be more feminine and dainty, which I'm just not. So, I end up feeling awkward when I ever try being like a girl, or even being treated like one, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships