Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 03:57 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times

Advertisements

And the next part of doing something different, I will not be shopping tomorrow. Volunteered 20 hours for Xmas charity next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 04:11 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
YAY for no shopping tomorrow, but me, I need to find a car....eeeek..... hugs to you d~o~m

Old 11-22-2007, 04:26 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Today was a quiet day for my boyfriend and I. The weather was fabulous and in the 60's so I worked on my cars for a while. I have a new project, a '71 Honda that needs a lot of TLC. I'm thinking that I should take some courses in auto body and welding. lol! Right now, my boyfriend is off at his shop working on his racecar. Later on we'll have a small dinner. My 31st high school reunion is Saturday and I feel plump. So I didn't want today to be about stuffing myself full of turkey and dessert. I think that I heard on tv that the average Thanksgiving dinner is about a 3000 calorie intake per person.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:40 PM

I remember one year feeling real sorry for myself and just noticing many other people on the T- going out alone, etc. (this was Thanksgiving Day) It just helps me remember this quote-

The mind is its own place, it can make Heaven out of hell, a hell of heaven

~John Milton

I am grateful to be alive, have my dogs and some blessings.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:27 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Dreamofmonterey, you have a very good attitude. Spending holidays (or any days) alone is much better than being with people who are phonies that say things which they don't really believe.
I've spent many holidays alone and I liked them all. It's a great time to listen to relax, listen to music and think things over without any interference. Sometimes I recall interesting things I've done in years past. I've also got two terriers that provide plenty of friendship.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:30 PM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I remember one year feeling real sorry for myself and just noticing many other people on the T- going out alone, etc. (this was Thanksgiving Day) It just helps me remember this quote-

The mind is its own place, it can make Heaven out of hell, a hell of heaven

~John Milton

I am grateful to be alive, have my dogs and some blessings.

I found this on the internet which I thought was beautiful....

Hope you enjoy the bittersweet of it...

Today my head was loud and crowded; achy and claustrophobic. I knew I was coming to outer reaches of my Extroversion, so I headed out by myself to the local state park. (I now have a season pass…) I grabbed a Market Fresh Sandwich at Arbys on the way (Turkey, Ranch and Bacon–my FAVORITE), and crossed the state line before noon. When I got there, I scrambled up to the top of a cliff and shared a sunny rock with blue dragonflies. Bliss! I saw the sky and felt the wind and took deep breaths and thought of nothing. I stared long enough at a Daddy Long Legs to appreciate the graceful, delicate wave of its antenna. I read my Bible and talked to God and smelled the pine trees.
I found Solitude to be a friend today–something I never thought I would need or experience. Who knew? I am amazed: there is space in my head now. I think the wind unclogged it.

I love fall in Arkansas.

by Shelly

for me, this speaks volumns...

It was a hard day today...now that mom's gone, life will never be the same without her...strange how all those things that were her, I took for granted, and yet, I feel so full of her, like she's never left...she saved my life...I was 5 years old and the little girl across the street who had no daddy...
the woman took me into her life, and she, her husband and 3 children held me like I was there's. I couldn't have asked for more....

So today, instead of being sad for her loss, I tried to remember all the wonders she showed me, and decided, if it hadn't been for her, I'd have probably ended up on the streets....a real toughie...and yet, because of her, and her awesome will, I am a toughie...lol.

love to you

creme

Old 11-22-2007, 07:16 PM

820 posts, read 2,869,517 times
Beautiful thoughts folks! Being alone brings me some of the best times of my life - it's when I dream, pray, reflect, and recharge.

This is the first time ever that I have been alone on Thanksgiving. I have to work tomorrow, so couldn't travel to see family. My kids went to their dad's family today. While I was truly fine with being alone, I went out to dinner with a friend who wasn't so fine with it. She talked about seeing families traveling and visiting and having dinner together. She has no kids and isn't married. For some of us, being alone can be a blessing.... for others, it's pure pain. My thoughts and prayers for all of those that didn't tolerate so well being alone today.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:52 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
I live in Newton, near Boston. I also have the love of my three dogs and two cats. The dogs are all from one shelter and they are very devoted to me. In fact, they love me more than my boyfriend. It's not a contest, but I'm just a good dog mom.

I'm a firm believer in mind over matter. I also believe in a serene contented mindset. I don't like how some people feel that the high point of their week needs to be hard partying and clubbing on the weekends. Thanksgiving seems to promote a dinner table full of food. Or Valentines Day is all about hearts and roses. Or how Christmas is about piles of presents I think that our culture glorifies these "highs" but then what happens is that we think we are lacking something in our lives when we are without them. I see so many people feel like losers when they don't have a regular fix of Mardi Gras excitement. And they think the caffeine buzz they get from their daily Starbucks coffee is normal. But I think that I prefer living on more of an even keel myself. Being just regular is just fine with me.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I live in Newton, near Boston. I also have the love of my three dogs and two cats. The dogs are all from one shelter and they are very devoted to me. In fact, they love me more than my boyfriend. It's not a contest, but I'm just a good dog mom.

I'm a firm believer in mind over matter. I also believe in a serene contented mindset. I don't like how some people feel that the high point of their week needs to be hard partying and clubbing on the weekends. Thanksgiving seems to promote a dinner table full of food. Or Valentines Day is all about hearts and roses. Or how Christmas is about piles of presents I think that our culture glorifies these "highs" but then what happens is that we think we are lacking something in our lives when we are without them. I see so many people feel like losers when they don't have a regular fix of Mardi Gras excitement. And they think the caffeine buzz they get from their daily Starbucks coffee is normal. But I think that I prefer living on more of an even keel myself. Being just regular is just fine with me.

I agree

Creme that was a nice quote. Internal peace- its elusive this time of year. I am glad I willl not be running tomorrow to the stores to rack up charges.....what a waste! think if everyone just donated a winter coat to one child, or did something helpful, instead of clawing and scraping at 4 AM for the latest iPod-

So sick of this hype- it seems to be worse here in the US- I spent Xmas in London once, and while people were shopping, they also exchange fruit, things of goodwill- that is missing in our culture here-

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 11-22-2007 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-23-2007, 05:04 AM

28,926 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Excellent post...I also think our society tries to dictate when we are supposed to be happy and when we are not.....

thanks
Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships