Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,491,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
rights and responsibilities are a favorite welfare office term. applied to dating?
who is going to enforce it?
the dating cops? that used to be mom and pop but we got rid of that.
respect? a favorite hood theme. lots of people get killed over this issue and none other but i dont think very often in dating.
Believe or not, over the course of their lives, most people develop internal controls that limit their ruthless pursuit of self-interest. We refer to these internal controls with words like "compassion," "decency" and "empathy." Without the capacity to develop these internal controls, the human race would have died out long ago. We wouldn't have been able to coexist peacefully, or cooperate in the interests of our own survival.

Of course, no one applies these controls all the time. A few don't seem to apply them at all; these people we describe with words like "sociopath." But most people navigate most situations in their lives with the help of these controls. And they do it without enforcers prodding them along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:39 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,015,974 times
Yep, altruism and compassion are heavily selected for.

'Course, that's if you are talking about real biology and evolution, not fake internet crapp.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 AM

255 posts, read 374,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Men do the exact same thing. It is not a gender issue.
The majority of average-looking men do not do this. Many of the good-looking men, the men who are popular with women and get most of the sex, do this and they build this amusing harem of women they don't sleep with(like how women know their ''guy friends'' want to sleep with them) but use them to get homework done, to get their work done, or to simply receive free female attention.

On the other hand, most of the women alive today and younger than 40 do this on a daily basis. Women using men's sex drive(a man's teens and 20's are really complicated, most women can be attractive to these guys) to get anything they want, from free meals, guys carrying their books, guys getting whatever the girls want, and girls and women using men to boost their self-esteem and to increase their own value in the social female hierarchy. I remmber how girls would giggle and talk amongst themselves, telling keeping score on what x guy did for her that day. Women compete too.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:04 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,070,823 times
Responsibility? I do not know if that is the right term.

I feel that I personally have a moral obligation to not lie, manipulate, mislead, and mistreat people. I also have an expecation of the same in return.

I am not sure that means I think it is someone else's responsibility to return my own expectations either. However, if they do not, chances are I would not begin to date, or continue dating them.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:05 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,619,649 times
I am not exactly sure how you apply rights and responsibilities to dating. Those concepts are self imposed, and are mostly based on social/religious inhibitions. If there is some sort of list of rules that you want to hold yourself true to, then everyone has a freedom to do so. Imposing them on others or judging others views, in the other hand, is little below the belt however and fruitless.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,083,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
My answer to all of your questions is yes.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,968,544 times
From a philosophical standpoint, perhaps in a perfect world, yes.

But, life isnt a fairy tale.

There's two or three options:

1. Live by the golden rule. Chances are, many people will take advantage of this if they are able to.

2. assimilate and do whatever it takes to get whatever you want/need and justify it by stating, "It's in my best interest, therefore it is ok."

3. Infuse a combination of ethics with necessary survival behaviors that allow you to reach your maximum potential while maintaining a minimum collateral damage.

Supply and demand creates tricky scenarios. Adding hormones to that complicates things more.

It's can be tough out there if you don't surround yourself with some people you can trust.

Live long and prosper, and may the force be with you.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:06 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,169,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
From a philosophical standpoint, perhaps in a perfect world, yes.

But, life isnt a fairy tale.

There's two or three options:

1. Live by the golden rule. Chances are, many people will take advantage of this if they are able to.

2. assimilate and do whatever it takes to get whatever you want/need and justify it by stating, "It's in my best interest, therefore it is ok."

3. Infuse a combination of ethics with necessary survival behaviors that allow you to reach your maximum potential while maintaining a minimum collateral damage.

Supply and demand creates tricky scenarios. Adding hormones to that complicates things more.

It's can be tough out there if you don't surround yourself with some people you can trust.

Live long and prosper, and may the force be with you.
I think the vast majority of people will fall in camp 3. Camps 1 or 2 are simply too impractical.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,083,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I think the vast majority of people will fall in camp 3. Camps 1 or 2 are simply too impractical.

Agreed.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:11 AM

11,826 posts, read 12,080,747 times
I think of this topic more in terms of many people worrying about what a partner can offer them, with little regard to what they themselves have to offer to a partner and relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships