Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

There are so many conversations about how chivalry is for men who put women on pedestals on the boards here. Or how “feminism” killed chivalry, so I thought I’d share some perspective.

The topic of chivalry came up with a few friends the other day, after I was recapping a recent online date, who sent mixed signals (off topic for this thread). Anyway, I was impressed that he had crossed over into what I’ll deem as tier 2 chivalry:

Tier 1: the basics
Opening doors
Letting the woman go first (ordering, sitting down)
Making sure she gets home safely

Tier 2: super old-school
Walking on the outside (curb side)
Dropping you off at the front, then parking the car
Helping you with your coat/jacket

**I am sure there are more examples, but these are top of mind.

Anyway, in this audience of liberated women (and perhaps armchair feminists), profiled as educated and financially independent, were all in agreement about chivalry.

Basically, even though we are all well aware we can take care of ourselves, but when men are chivalrous it makes us feel like we are appreciated and worthy of special care. That’s it. It is basically like a warm fuzzy.

It isn’t about paying or equity or anything else, just a simple sign that someone cares about your well being.

What’s your take?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
My take is that I would rather chat with my partner/date than stand by the front door waiting for him while he parked. I have a hard time imagining what could be more awkward than applying two people to the one person job of coat removal.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:16 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Basically, even though we are all well aware we can take care of ourselves, but when men are chivalrous it makes us feel like we are appreciated and worthy of special care. That’s it. It is basically like a warm fuzzy.

It isn’t about paying or equity or anything else, just a simple sign that someone cares about your well being.

What’s your take?
I guess that's the reason why I like that "chivalry" sometimes. But I hardly find it necessary to keep doing those things every day. Sure, it's nice when a guy opens the door for me, but I also open doors for people. It's awkward to just let the door close on someone. I don't always order first in a restaurant and I certainly don't expect my boyfriend to pay for me every time.

To me, those little gestures are less about chivalry or expectations but more what you said -- it shows they care. And I like it when my boyfriend shows me he cares. He can do that in a number of other ways that don't involve opening doors.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:18 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
I always thought chivalry goes deeper than these superficial actions but perhaps I don't understand chivalry.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:23 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I always thought chivalry goes deeper than these superficial actions but perhaps I don't understand chivalry.
Don't worry about it.

It's as useful as floppy discs and 8-track tapes.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:24 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,493 times
The concept of chivalry is just as outdated as the idea of a woman's place as being in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant, not being allowed to drive or vote, and not being allowed to handle the home finances.
Hasn't the whole point of liberation been about rising above antiquated traditions in favor of individual power? Should that not also apply to men?

Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Let's take a closer look at those categories:

The Basics: letting her order 1st

Super Old=School: finding out what she wants, then ordering for her.

Does anyone have a preference between these two? I don't care if I order 1st or if he goes 1st, but I hate it when someone orders for me. I like to interact with the wait staff, ask questions, chat. That's part of the fun of going out to eat.

Another Super Old-School item: the guy always driving, and filling the gas for you. Do people still do that? In some European countries, the men insist that anything car-related is men's stuff.

Super Old-School: carrying any packages or luggage for the woman, even small luggage.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
I love it when men act chivalrously. It shows that they have good manners. I also love to cook and bake things for people and do other nice things. And my girlfriends and I also open doors for each other and such.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:54 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
For me, I don't want super chivalry. I just want someone who is polite. It seems to be more of a rarity these days.

I do love a man who is a gentleman.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:14 PM

809 posts, read 1,272,930 times
Chivalry is for white knights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships