Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:13 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,532,680 times

Advertisements

I dropped my maiden name altogether. My maiden name was given to me by my father. So that isn't really my "identity". My identity is my first name...surnames are interchangeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:15 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,078,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbit View Post
I was recently married and I have decided to hyphenate my last name. I want to only use my husbands last name for almost everything and simply have my hyphanated name on my social security card and id. I'd like to ask you hyphenated ladies out there living in the city on what can you use your Husbands last name for? Do I have to use both names on everything or can I use my husbands last name?

I had planned on having the hyphenated name for a bout a year and then go to court to change it to his last name. It would only cost me $65 in fees but I would have to change everything again which I don't really mind. Any information would help.
I'm just curious, why do you want to hyphenate for only a year? Especially if you plan on using your husband's last name for everything except your SS and ID? Seems like it'd be easier to just change your name over completely OR do it later.

Also, most times, when you hyphenate, whatever is the first name is what you'll be called and what people will use. I see a lot of women complaining that they're Mrs. Smith-Jones, not just Mrs. Smith. But that's what happens. Hope that's okay with you.

Trust me, changing your name on everything is not fun. It's very time consuming especially when you have to fax/mail in your marriage license to everyone nowadays and/or they want an original certified copy and you have to go get one (I had to go to the courthouse three times. I definitely wasn't expecting that).

Legally, whatever your SS and ID says, is what you should be using on all documents. Especially legal ones. But in reality, whatever you write, is what it is. The problem will only come about if the docs don't match your ID/SS.

While in the midst of changing my name back to my maiden name, I had a lot of transactions to take care of and because items didn't match, I couldn't complete the transactions. For instance, my ID didn't match my car insurance. Or my passport doesn't match my ID. Or a credit card didn't match my ID. Bleah. So for almost 2 months, while waiting for everything to update, I was dead in the water. I had a lot of things to take care of, and couldn't do anything. I didn't expect it to be a problem, but it was.

Obviously, you may not have any issues. But then again, you might. I guess it depends on what is going on in your life for the next year.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,241,476 times
MrsCPG kept her own name professional for a year after we were married, but finally gave it up. It was just too big a pain in the butt.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:18 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,078,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbit View Post
I'm thinking about a year. Can my drivers licence have my husbands last name and my social security card have my hyphenated last name?
Typically, no. Only because when you go to DMV (and you can check your state's dmv website), you need to bring in your marriage license and social security card. They'll use those two things to prove that you're you and that is the name that goes on the license.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,652,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygreeneyes View Post
Pick one(your husband's name or the hyphenated) and stick with it.

Or keep yours. You will save yourself much aggravation and money later.
Trust me.

Well at least you're an optimist

Old 11-15-2013, 10:27 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,581,655 times
Who cares what the women in your family have done. Do you.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:32 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,910,283 times
Why not keep it legally and use his name socially? I know if I marry I will at least keep my maiden name professionally because it is a pain to change my driver license, social security, credit cards, etc.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:43 AM

27 posts, read 42,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Why not keep it legally and use his name socially? I know if I marry I will at least keep my maiden name professionally because it is a pain to change my driver license, social security, credit cards, etc.
My husband and I agree that this would be no different from pretending my last name was his. Like this I might as well not change anything and tell everyone my last name changed.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:06 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,160,852 times
My wife started using my name professionally before we even got married. It made the transition that much easier.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:11 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,213,669 times
When I changed my name - I couldn't do anything until got it legally changed on my social security card. From there - I had to present my social security card and marriage license anytime I wanted to change my name on something. I highly doubt they will let you choose a different name on your driver's license from the one that you legally changed it to on your social security card - or any other legal document, for that matter. You can't really pick and choose how to represent yourself on legal documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships