Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
I think the root of the problem is that about 85% of the men are all chasing about 15% of the women.

I notice that most of the men I know who complain about being unable to meet women are, in fact, surrounded by women with whom they are probably compatible. The trouble is, they refuse to date any of these women, because they don't feel they aren't "hot" enough. Well, it is your right to only want to date "hot" women. But if you eliminate all but the "hottest" women from your dating pool, don't complain when you end up alone. You did it to yourself.

I agree. And I noticed that a lot of these men who say that the women aren't "hot enough" aren't setting the temperature high themselves. I used to have a friend who would chase women who were (and I QUOTE) "out of his league" in terms of looks. I don't like to call anyone ugly but he's definitely not the hottest cake in the oven and he certainly didn't have the confidence to boost. He was short, overweight, hairy, teeth weren't the best and his attitude towards women was very poor. He was always bitter and always blamed women for his flaws but it was himself. It annoys me to see guys who want "hawt" women but can't even handle themselves. The same goes for women but in this case we are talking about men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:52 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I'm not convinced that the dating game gets easier for men when they get to their late 20's and early 30's. The usual mantra is that it does because at that point in time "men are established in decent careers and women's looks are on the decline." The first part may have been true in an earlier day and age, but my generation is one where women hold more college degrees and are outpacing men in terms of career advancement. Since women want a guy at least on par with them in professional success, fewer men make the cut. And while women may decline in looks, so do a lot of guys, who bald, for example. I think there is a widening gap between the men who get women, and the loser men. A smaller and smaller proportion of men are gaining the monopoly on the above-average women. It's not enough to be a decent looking guy with a decent career.

Discuss.
I think men can always find someone.

I have an uncle in his 50s who's been in and out of prison his whole life. He's been out for a few months now and already has a steady girlfriend who he met in church.

I have an 18 year old cousin who's ugly, stupid AND jobless and he has a pretty girlfriend who seems to like him but something must be wrong with her mentally.

Heck, even George Zimmerman has a girlfriend.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
I'm not convinced that the dating game gets easier for men when they get to their late 20's and early 30's. The usual mantra is that it does because at that point in time "men are established in decent careers and women's looks are on the decline." The first part may have been true in an earlier day and age, but my generation is one where women hold more college degrees and are outpacing men in terms of career advancement. Since women want a guy at least on par with them in professional success, fewer men make the cut. And while women may decline in looks, so do a lot of guys, who bald, for example. I think there is a widening gap between the men who get women, and the loser men. A smaller and smaller proportion of men are gaining the monopoly on the above-average women. It's not enough to be a decent looking guy with a decent career.

Discuss.
I have never heard this mantra, and therefore, believe it to be fake. Or not of "my generation".

Look, dating does get easier as men age, but not because of career or declining looks or time clocks clicking down. Dating gets easier for men in their 30s because by that age most men know what they want in life, and have learned the lessons of what not to do from their 20s. Like believing in these stupid memes and "rules".

Basically, men finally grow-up and mature in their 30s.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:38 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,089 times
Quote:
The usual mantra is that it does because at that point in time "men are established in decent careers and women's looks are on the decline."

This is only a mantra among PUAs, most of whom are virgins with social disabilities, who do not know any actual women.

I don't mean to be harsh, and many of those guys are good people and will make someone a good husband someday. But, when they talk about dating, they really don't have a clue about what real people do.

Men who are socially normal find women their own age the most attractive, at any age. Sure, when you are 18, no matter what your gender people of 26 look super old to you. But when you are 26, people who are 18 look like kids. And when you are 35, people of 26 look like kids. So the whole age/looks part of the theory is ridiculous.

As for ease of dating, it's probably the other way around. Women usually prefer to select a life mate before she and he are established in their careers. So by the time you get to your late 20s, a lot of women are taken. But there are still several billion available.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Inorite? Clearly it's not about looks or personal charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Dating gets easier for men in their 30s because by that age most men know what they want in life, and have learned the lessons of what not to do from their 20s. Like believing in these stupid memes and "rules".

Basically, men finally grow-up and mature in their 30s.
Good point. There's a lot of individual variation, but in general women tend to mature emotionally much earlier, and when men catch up they become way more sexy and desireable .

Old 11-20-2013, 01:59 PM

31,025 posts, read 22,059,932 times
Quote:

No shet. If George Zimmerman can get an attractive woman I bet I could get a date with Jessica Alba or Rihanna!

Old 11-20-2013, 02:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i am fit financially secure good ballroom dancer and 65, the line forms on the right. never thought i would be this much in demand sure was not when i was 20 and cute. perhaps its bek all my rivals are in a hospital bed or dead?

Old 11-20-2013, 03:06 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
No shet. If George Zimmerman can get an attractive woman I bet I could get a date with Jessica Alba or Rihanna!
Except both Ms. Alba and Ms. Rihanna are much more than just attractive.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:18 PM

570 posts, read 721,251 times
Quote:

Fame will do that to you.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:26 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,436 times
It definitely has the potential to be easier for men. You still have to make the effort to look good, stay fit, and be successful in your finances & career. It doesn't get easier automatically if that's what you're thinking.

Whereas with women, it's a slow, irreversible decline after their early to mid 20's. Their peak potential is during ages 18-25. Men's peak potential is during ages 33-45. The key word is potential -- you still have to put the effort in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships