Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by princewilla View Post
Because talking about it is against the misandric society we live in

Eh...I aint buying, one thing to not talk about it, another to want and actually do get married

Old 11-26-2013, 08:23 AM

428 posts, read 474,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Did you read what you linked? Because it's kind of a feminist post that eventually argues against your whole point.

There are injustices against men (as there are all groups) and I would cite the whole "bumbling fool" portrayed in popular media as my own personal pet peeve. The men I know, like my brother, can change a diaper and take care of their kids... men aren't rubes. I suppose it's this idea that ALL women are radical feminists that I take issue with.

I agree with the author on this point too

But I would expand that to include it's a racket for women too. Women have had to have this "you need to bring home the bacon AND be the perfect housewife and mother too" for YEARS. If you focused on the home, you were a freeloader living off your husband's salary... if you focused on your job, you weren't a good mother and people would judge your "messy house." It's been a no-win situation for women for the past 30 or so years and now men are starting to taste it too. I lived it and it's hell--you feel like an indentured servant. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, male or female. No one should do it all when two people are living together--they should share the work in a way that evens the load on both their shoulders. I would cite this is the main reason I am happy to stay unmarried now... after having lived it.

Anyway, as for the boycotting marriage. Less women also want to get married these days too. Why So Many Women Couldn't Care Less About Getting Married | GalTime and http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...husbands/?_r=0. All those reference to "Grass eating men" in Japan fail to acknowledged that half the women in the same age group don't even want to have sex, let alone get married either. So I figure it all evens out with the men who don't want to marry. Let the radical feminists and the radical MGTOW's both sit in their corners hating each other and threatening not to marry each other. Those types aren't usually the type of people who want to get married are looking for in a partner anyway.

EDIT: I think I would concede and consider it a crisis for women when it gets to the point that there is a demand and a business for mail order husbands.
I agree with everything you said. But I can see why men would not want to get married. Anyway. I think I have over done thos topic.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:39 AM

36 posts, read 48,444 times
Yea, but the problem is our social circles don't represent the vast majority of men. Especially in big cities. Go to NY, LA, Miami..marriage is not .

I have nothing against anyone doing it but it simply doesn't sense. Particularly for guys. It's a bad deal. And it has nothing to do with women being bad individuals as it does with the state.

Not worth the effort and too much to risk. Dating is a lot easier. She has her place , I have mine

Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM

236 posts, read 232,100 times
Default Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
You realize that if fewer men are married, that also means fewer women are married, right? (Unless you're suggesting that a massive number of lesbian marriages is making up the difference.)

It is well known that people (men and women) are postponing marriage until later in life than they did a generation ago. This is why the difference is so pronounced in the 25-34 age range you show. This has nothing to do with any boycott by a club of whiny virgin boys on the internet.

You are wrong on this one. Although I'm not saying there is a boycott, your explanation that "people are waiting longer to marry" is woefully inadequate. If that were the case, one would not observe a long, steady decline such as the graph a few pages back. There would be a spike at some point, as those who were "waiting longer" suddenly got married en masse.

I know many of you will call Dalrock an angry misogynist or whatever, and maybe you're right, but his analysis on the declining marriage rate is spot on. It hinges on what I've said above, and following people over time. This "spike" never happens.

Never marrieds piling up | Dalrock

Old 11-26-2013, 09:55 AM

Orphaned.

Youre going off track.

You made a statistical statement responding to the op's inquiry that was inaccurate. Now you want to difuse it with irrelevant information. Stay on topic

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-26-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive55 View Post
LILAC and LoveMountain, Please do your research before making a false comment.

Hello again

This is the title of the thread - "So Many Men on CD So Militant About Never Marrying, Never Having Children"

In the real world marriage rates have been falling - we all know that.

But as I said before, only a tiny micro-minority of men (and women for that matter) are "MILITANT" about never marrying or having children.

And yes, a handful of those with "militant" angry attitudes post here often, making it APPEAR as though a great many men are this way.

Most who have decided marriage and children are not for them have done so because they are enjoying some other kind of lifestyle.

And because they ARE so busy enjoying life they have no inclination or desire to be "militantly" against marriage.

Only the bitter, angry, emotionally twisted among us waste their time that way

Last edited by lovesMountains; 11-26-2013 at 10:15 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM

643 posts, read 917,705 times
I want to get married and have kids. (im 26 and in a pretty serious relationship)

Old 11-26-2013, 10:06 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive55 View Post
Not according to Pew Research.

In fact, as a guy, I would recommend it to girls. Too many benifits to pass on. If you can impose this unto the right guy. Middle class white women don't go into college and join sororitys to learn math. They go because it increases their chance to access the right type of male. Most of these girls never want to work in their life . And yes many of you will say that's not you but the reality is you dont represent the vast majority
Well they need to learn math then since women outnumber men on college campuses that's a horrible place to look for a husband if that's what they are doing. Besides, the average person doesn't get married right out of college, the average age of marriage for women is 26 and men 28. Most people graduate at 22 or 24 if they are working on a Masters.

You seem to think you know what benefits women get out of marriage, but according to Men's Health, men get benefits too including higher pay, less likely to be a victim of a violent crime, more sex, and married men live longer (Benefits of Marriage: Men's Health).

I think, in the end, both men and women can benefit from marriage. They get lower taxes, access to each others health care plans (so they can get the better), certain rights not given to unmarried couples like such as to see and take care of each other in the hospital, family medical leave, social security benefits for being married, etc. They also both have a stable environment to raise their children (and both have parental rights to the child) if they choose to do that.

But like I said earlier, I know it's not right for me at this point--the benefits of marriage simply don't outweigh the negatives I experienced. Did you know women drink more alcohol in marriage than when single... mother's little helper indeed! lol. I've been single, married, and now single again. Being single suits me best. But I don't pretend what suits me is what will (or should) suit everyone.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hello again mr. repeat customer

This is the title of the thread - "So Many Men on CD So Militant About Never Marrying, Never Having Children"

In the real world marriage rates have been falling - we all know that.

But as I said before, only a tiny micro-minority of men (and women for that matter) are "MILITANT" about never marrying or having children.

And yes, a handful of those with "militant" angry attitudes post here often, making it APPEAR as though a great many men are this way.

Most who have decided marriage and children are not for them have done so because they are enjoying some other kind of lifestyle.

And because they ARE so busy enjoying life they have no inclination or desire to be "militantly" against marriage.

Only the bitter, angry, emotionally twisted among us waste their time that way

Again, that's inaccurate.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:08 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times
If it were such a bad deal for men financially then it wouldn't be affluent men who have increasing marriage rates while poor men, who really have little to lose in comparison, have the bulk of decreasing rates. Clearly there is something else going on. And as another poster mentioned I don't think it's these men (i.e., militant CD men) who are opting out on average (some do of course), but that they don't have the opportunity in the first place. This is what leads to the bitterness. The reasons responsible for the lack of options these guys experience may vary, but I posit that it's endemic to today's culture of consumerism and immediate satiation of desire. To me these men appear to be intellectually lazy, immature, and irrationally demanding. That's not ideal for romantic relationships. Further, I'm sure these guys have their female counterparts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships