Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,848,701 times

Advertisements

Yes, I dated someone who I consider to be a sociopath. Our relationship ran the usual sociopathic course of idealize, devalue, discard. I saw the red flags in the beginning but I chose to ignore them because he was so charming. And, he seemed to NEED me so badly, which I mistook for love.

The core of a psychopath, sociopath or narcissist is rage. It is not love. This is why these people have no empathy. They literally cannot love, they are incapable of it. They are fundamentally disconnected from their true selves, their core. So while they may present a charming, attractive, energetic, ambitious façade, that is ALL it is - a façade. It is what's underneath that mask that is important.

Sociopaths know how to make people feel REALLY good. They lure people in that way. But none of a sociopath's actions is based in true empathy or love. Every single thing they do is self-serving and its purpose is to attempt to fill the enormous void inside of them where a heart and soul should be. My ex was badly abused as a child and he never developed trust or any kind of mutuality. To him, the world is dog-eat-dog and the only thing he cares about is coming out on top. To be in a relationship with someone like this is a joke because there IS no win-win situation with a sociopath. They're aren't even coming at you from a loving place to begin with.

I also want to add that sociopaths don't always target "weak" or vulnerable people. A key feature of sociopaths is arrogance, a sense of omnipotence and grandiosity. So, some sociopaths will target very strong women, just for the opportunity to tear them down and break them. It gives the sociopath a rush and a sense of power. It feeds his magnificent image of himself. Sociopaths want to TAKE and they want to DESTROY, so sometimes when there's more to take, more quality to a person, the bigger reward the sociopath gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 08:26 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,812,555 times
Absolutely! The charm is so great in the beginning that when the real person shows, their action is beyond belief.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:27 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,377,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I dated someone that fit 9 out of 10 of from the article. It was just awful. Needless to say a learning experience for me.
Yes. Wow. An ex of mine exhibited pretty much all of these psychopathic behaviors. Wow.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,545,203 times
OK, OK, which one of you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night? No one? Then I'm leaving this to the experts and not some random people sharing a random article written by someone who themselves has no credentials in this matter? OP, sounds like you dated an a-hole. Since he's your ex, not sure why you even care at this point.

Most people think the only thing you need to diagnose a medical condition now is Google.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,545,203 times
#5 basically tells you all you need to know about this blog. Pure poppycock --

Quote:
5. Great sex. Everyone wants great sex, but those who have been with a psychopath often say it's the best thing they've ever experienced. A psychopath goes out of his way to please you. It's just another way of getting you hooked. Once he has you hooked, you'll find yourself begging for sex because he suddenly won't want it anymore.
But also the links at the bottom of the story gives you an indication of where their true intent is at as well --
Quote:
More from The Stir:

•6 Dating Tips That Might Sound Crazy But Really Work

•8 Ways Your Controlling Man Is Out of Control

•35 Brutally Honest Reasons Men Say No to Sex

•The 9 Times It's Okay to Date a Jerk

•20 Things Guys Should Never Tell Their Girlfriends

•8 Signs It's Time to Take a Break From Your Relationship

Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,390,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
OK, OK, which one of you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night? No one? Then I'm leaving this to the experts and not some random people sharing a random article written by someone who themselves has no credentials in this matter? OP, sounds like you dated an a-hole. Since he's your ex, not sure why you even care at this point.

Most people think the only thing you need to diagnose a medical condition now is Google.
Sounds like you are taking offence.

I don't care anymore. Read post 12. He really did a number on me though and he was more than just an a hole. I posted this because people should be aware. Whether those are even only half way right they are things people should not want in a relationship and they are things that can happen after you have already established a different viewpoint on the person..

Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,606,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Not sure what your deal is. Maybe you've been called a psychopath, maybe you are a lot if things on that list. I have no idea. Do I think this man probably was? Absolutely. He was a lot more than just a bad bf.

He was also very intelligent with a PhD in Psychology and speaking 7 languages. I was there and you were not. I know the difference between bad bf and good bf. I have also learned when someone has a serious problem.

I am not just some random blogger here. I am a person who cares about other people and their well- being. Whether it be listed as psychopath or something else, it is not a good thing. Especially not for someone in a vulnerable state.

Know Huff Post for what it is.... what I have to wonder is why you don't want people to be aware of such red flags, no matter what they are from.
Ha, I just saw this post, over a month later. Hopefully you've realized by now that I was referring to the HuffPo piece and not to your situation. That is, unless you're saying you were the author of the HuffPo piece.

I've not been called a psychopath, nor do I think I am a lot of things on the list. I have, however, been trained to diagnose and treat mental disorders, and I get irritated when people misuse mental health terms and spread misinformation the way that piece did. You probably get irritated when people post inaccuracies related to your career, as well.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:02 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,701,063 times
I do not meet the majority of these signs. I'm shocked to be honest. I thought I was a psychopath according to the CDR (a haven for insufferable know-it-alls) forum.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,606,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

This. Many times over, this. Thank you.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:35 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,695,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Ha, I just saw this post, over a month later. Hopefully you've realized by now that I was referring to the HuffPo piece and not to your situation. That is, unless you're saying you were the author of the HuffPo piece.

I've not been called a psychopath, nor do I think I am a lot of things on the list. I have, however, been trained to diagnose and treat mental disorders, and I get irritated when people misuse mental health terms and spread misinformation the way that piece did. You probably get irritated when people post inaccuracies related to your career, as well.
That is prevalent all over the internet and its scary to look at. One thing outside of expected and its instant psychological issue.

I am getting my masters but i will always remember my instructor told me something crucial is to never diagnose people haphazardly or attempt to treat people in they are not your clients. Not only from a perspective of professionalism but this influenced me personally and how I view things.

So I understand and share the frustration on how wide spread these articles are at the loose ways terms and definitions are use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships