Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:20 AM

368 posts, read 577,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I think it's the opposite.

I think short women have a stigma about being short and often prefer tall men.

Sometimes ridiculously taller than themselves.

So, a man who is 5'5" has a better chance of getting a 5'5" woman to date him than a 5'0" woman. But really, no woman wants a man under 5'8". Though there is a minority that bucks convention.
When taking the millions of ladies out there into account, the minority isn't such a minority. I've never really understood why short men put so much emphasis on stats, if only 5% of women date short men I'm not seeing the problem 5% of a million is 50,000, It's still a pool to swim in, albiet a kid's pool lmao.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:23 AM

542 posts, read 692,009 times
This article is about how the film Catching Fire doesn't attempt to hide the fact that the female lead is taller than the male lead. There are some interesting points in there about height and gender expectations.

Quote:
Women who are taller than their male relationship partners are empirically a rare find—and it’s not entirely because women are shorter than men overall. Indeed, in much of the Western world, taller-woman couples are far less common than statistics would predict in random pairings. In 1980, researchers examined height data collected from 720 assorted straight American couples’ bank-account applications and discovered that only one couple in the pool consisted of a woman who was taller than the man. For comparison, an at-random pairing of 720 females and 720 males would have produced a female-taller-than-male combo once in every 29 couples.
Quote:
According to research and media accounts, it’s women who are more concerned about enforcing the “male-taller norm.” A 2008 study of 382 undergrads in the journal Personality and Individual Differences found that 23 percent of straight men said they wouldn't mind being the shorter party in a relationship. Only 4 percent of women surveyed said they’d be OK as the taller one.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:24 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
My boyfriend is short even for a woman at slightly less than 5'4. I am taller.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:26 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
My boyfriend is short even for a woman at slightly less than 5'4. I am taller.
Well he is average for a women. 5'3.7 is the exact average height for an American women I believe, basically 5'4. Are you attracted to him sexually? Is his sex lousy? If yes, explain why.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:28 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,849,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaquille View Post
When taking the millions of ladies out there into account, the minority isn't such a minority. I've never really understood why short men put so much emphasis on stats, if only 5% of women date short men I'm not seeing the problem 5% of a million is 50,000, It's still a pool to swim in, albiet a kid's pool lmao.
Yea, that is partially true. I mean ugly guys have it tough too. And average men will be rejected by tons of women just for being average.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the reason why I think short guys have such a strong chip on their shoulder is because guys make fun of them too.

So, not only do they feel inadequate around women, but other men too.

LOTS of guys make fun of short guys.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Round 4793

SOME women love short men
SOME women love tall men
Some women love thin guys
Some women love not so thin guys
Some women love muscular guys
Some women love guys who have whiskers
Some women love guys who have blue eyes
Some women love guys who have long hair
etc. etc. etc.

Do you see the pattern here?
SOME women like some traits in men and not other traits in men.
SOME men like some traits in men and not other traits in women.
Some people like salt others don't, some like dogs, some like cats, some like lizards, some like hamsters, some like
beer, some like macaroni and cheese.......

SOME like.........(FILL IN THE BLANK).......others do not like (FILL IN THE BLANK)...........

Old 12-12-2013, 04:58 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Short men are okay. I've dated men shorter than me. Short men who whine about being short are as attractive as anyone else who whines about anything else... it's annoying and eventually they end up alone because people are sick of the complaining.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:32 AM

328 posts, read 466,284 times
Well I am a very tall female and I have dated short men in my past, even almost married one. The thing was, this fool (yes I went there) that I was once engaged to decided that he was going to put his hands on me and that was not happening. He had severe hang-ups and issues due to his height. I dated a really awesome dude that was maybe 5'7 (I'm 5'10) but...he cheated on me. So neither of mine worked out. They were both cute, in shape and I thought they were going to work out long term, but nope. I'd kick a 6'4 man to the curb for the above transgressions. I'm EO with mine. What is short? What is tall? Some men think a chick that is 5'6 is 'tall' so I guess I am a human skyscraper! For what it's worth, I have had men AVOID me because of my height. So, there.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:36 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_Shroom12 View Post
Well I am a very tall female and I have dated short men in my past, even almost married one. The thing was, this fool (yes I went there) that I was once engaged to decided that he was going to put his hands on me and that was not happening. He had severe hang-ups and issues due to his height. I dated a really awesome dude that was maybe 5'7 (I'm 5'10) but...he cheated on me. So neither of mine worked out. They were both cute, in shape and I thought they were going to work out long term, but nope. I'd kick a 6'4 man to the curb for the above transgressions. I'm EO with mine. What is short? What is tall? Some men think a chick that is 5'6 is 'tall' so I guess I am a human skyscraper! For what it's worth, I have had men AVOID me because of my height. So, there.
Just out of curiosity, how tall was the first guy who you were engaged to?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:10 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
This one has always baffled me. I know why men like boobs and ass. That is sexy. But I never got why the length of a man's bones meant anything? Men don't find long bones in women sexy so what gives? What if a man has short legs, and long everything else? Or what if a man has long legs and a shorter spine? Or what if the guy just has a big head? As you can see I am completely clueless about this. Also what height is considered short? Shorter than the woman, or just shorter than the average height of a man yet taller than the woman? Why will women not date shorter men but men will date shorter women? What do women assume about short men? What do they assume about tall men? Average height men? Discuss.
I don't "assume" anything about tall men. I simply prefer to "look up" to my guy. I want a guy that is bigger and stronger than I am. Pretty simple, and I think that's pretty much biological/evolutional. I don't know why anyone would not know this. You know you can google this right??

That said, height is certainly not everything...not even close. Stop worrying about your height. Insecurity is FAR more of a turn-off than being short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships